• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush Lift Evac today 4-7-13

HowieT2

Fortunately, i was homebound with a touch of the flu. My son took some video which i will get him to upload once he finishes his school work.

HowieT2

cool, never saw one before. it was hard to tell from the video, how many people on the ground where holding the rope? i'd have thought they'd have A LOT to ensure no accidental drop.

Looks like 2 people.

octopus

how do you think they'd get people off of slidebrook express over the ravine part, helicopter?

wtcobb

Almost on the lift today. I can happily say I missed Heaven's Gate chair before the shutdown. I made it there as they were starting the evac. Had I gotten there 1-2 runs earlier I would have been on it!

I was on a chair with a woman later who was stuck up on it. She was up there for over an hour! At least it was a warm day...

skiking4

About 7 or 8 years ago I was riding the Catamount summit chair (which I believe was a double at the time, not a quad). It was a mid winter day and probably mid 20s and cloudy. The lift stopped... and stopped... and we waited for a period of 5 mins before we realized that the lift was having trouble. 20 minutes in, it started to snow and I remember no longer being able to feel the tips of fingers and toes. After about 45 minutes maybe, a crew came over and we put a rapple around our waists and we "jumped" off the chairlift and were lowered downwards. They gave us free hot chocolate for the rest of the day, but man did that suck!

So by the looks of it, those at the Bush had it a million times better in the sunny Spring.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
132 people evaced in 2 hours, that's about 1 minute per person, pretty good IMHO. Those who were not properly dressed it was abit uncomfortable. It was not warm. It was windy, temp around 30F. Each will be getting a voucher for a future free ski day.

30 years ago I was heading home after work at JH and the tram had to be evaced right before the first tower. Cabin was about 100 feet above the ground, way higher than the highest point above Bush's Slide Brook chair. The issue with SB is the length not the height, around 2 miles. That's why they don't run it if it is really cold knowing it will take awhile and many people would not be properly dressed.

Last edited:

wa-loaf

It looks like some of the folks from Suburban Bike and Ski got evac'd. They posted this on Facebook.

5088_10151533519789111_218245425_n.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
A After about 45 minutes maybe, a crew came over and we put a rapple around our waists and we "jumped" off the chairlift and were lowered downwards. They gave us free hot chocolate for the rest of the day, but man did that suck!

Wrong management decision

132 people evaced in 2 hours, that's about 1 minute per person, pretty good IMHO. Those who were not properly dressed it was abit uncomfortable. It was not warm. It was windy, temp around 30F. Each will be getting a voucher for a future free ski day.

Right management decision

I've definitely read of other mountains in recent years who have had to do a lift evac and apologized by the way of free hot chocolate. That just seems penny wise and pound foolish to me. You've got a bunch people who are likely cold and annoyed by the inconvenience of being stuck on the chair and missing an hour or two of skiing. Hot chocolate isn't going to make anyone feel any better about the experience. People are likely to tell everyone they know they got stuck in a lift, froze their ass off and all the mountain offered for an apology was free hot chocolate. You take those same people and give them a sincere apology and a voucher to come back skiing again? You get far more satisfied customers who will tell people how professional management handled the situation and they look forward to go back there skiing again (and likely spend money on food, lodging, etc.) Good on Sugarbush.

Cornhead

That happened to me once at Mount Snow many years ago. Sometime in the 90's.

I only got a hot chocolate :sadwalk:
Greek Peak for me, no hot chocolate :sadwalk:Whenever a chair stops for longer than usual, I turn around and ask the chair behind me if they've ever been rescued from a lift, so far, no one has. I tell them my tale, it's fun to make them nervous. Who else here has been "saved", PTL:wink:?

thetrailboss

Staff member
So I take it that the broken flange was a component of the drive and that they could not actviate the lift to evac it? Or was the lift evacuated out of an abundance of caution following an infamous incident that occurred at another "Sugar" mountain.

And I agree that if folks are stuck on a lift and that the delay is the result of a lift malfunction or something that was in the resort's control, then yes, the riders should get a free day ticket. If it is a power outage or something outside of the ski area's control, then that might be cause for something else.

hiroto

I never seen it exposed in this kind of story, but with this many people, there must have been some one got on the chair feeling "... I got to go but after one more run ....".

jimmywilson69

I never seen it exposed in this kind of story, but with this many people, there must have been some one got on the chair feeling "... I got to go but after one more run ....".

What's all of this yellow snow beneath the lift???