• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

North Pond Hermit lived in woods for 27 years.

deadheadskier

Staff member
know anyone who was robbed by the guy? Crazy he went so long only seeing 1 person in that location. Its remote and undeveloped but when I saw the article this morning I was expecting the story to be from somewhere up in aroostock county

wa-loaf

know anyone who was robbed by the guy? Crazy he went so long only seeing 1 person in that location. Its remote and undeveloped but when I saw the article this morning I was expecting the story to be from somewhere up in aroostock county

It's not that remote. I mean there's wilderness there, but it's also a pretty big tourist area with lots of camps. My dad has a place on little North Pond that's connected to North Pond, but they don't keep much there food wise.

The people who would most likely have stumbled on his camp though are hunters. A ton of that goes on there in the fall. Without seeing on a map exactly where the camp was it's kind of tough to really say how out of the way he was.

Warp Daddy

Remarkable resiliency. How the man stayed sane , relatively fit and survived Maine winters is a story unto itself . This is Maines version of Noah John Rondeau

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Like they mention in the article, over the course of 27 years, he probably endured dozens, if not 100+, days of subzero temperature. That tent sure looks drafty.

bvibert

Staff member
The article doesn't mention anything about family. He took off into the woods 2 years after high school, was no one looking for him?

Warp Daddy

true , but you have to give him props for survival . NJR was also a might MORE social especially AFTER th eBIG BLOWDOWN of 1950 forced him to alter lifestyle a bit :stirpot:

wa-loaf

It just blows my mind. He's only 2 years older than me and all the stuff I've done and been through in the last 27 whatever years and this guys just been sitting there meditating and reading.

legalskier

Where he's going he won't have to worry about stealing food & provisions- "three hots and a cot" at taxpayers' expense.

ScottySkis

Haha, he's gonna be like "solitary confinement? bring it on!"

You know what funny about that when police officers is arrested that is were they go for safety, so there ok with it. But it is further punishment for being bad for prisoners.

octopus

He probably studied the patterns of people for months before doing anything. Obviously nobody really cared that much about him stealing stuff

wa-loaf

He probably studied the patterns of people for months before doing anything. Obviously nobody really cared that much about him stealing stuff

The lakes are lined with year round and summer homes. A lot of them sit empty during the week. I think he would have just continued to be a minor nuisance if he hadn't started grabbing lots of stuff from the Pine Tree camp.