• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

To Jay or not to Jay....

C-Rex

I still have 2 vouchers for Jay to use and I'm debating going up this weekend or waiting until next.

Do I go up tomorrow night, knowing they may get a decent refresh from this possible storm coming though tonight/tomorrow. The possibility of freshies in the woods mid-April is quite tempting.

Or do I just wait until next weekend, enjoy the spring corn, and rock out at the pond skim?

Madroch

Yup-- the possible winter weather has me in a quandry also-- I won't mind fresh, even wet fresh, but frozen gran I can do without....

C-Rex

Exactly, I don't want to commit to this weekend and end up riding frozen groomers all day.

Edd

Skied Jay today late morning. A few soft spots but mostly...it was unpleasantly firm. Figured the woods were pointless.

Conrad

Website
www.youtube.com
I'm going to be at Jay Peak this weekend for the first time ever. I'm psyched about this snow, but there might also be a little rain too.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I'm not buying the snow in terms of powder. The snow is irrelevant... what matters is what happens immediately after the snow stops. This time of year is temperamental. If it snows, then gets warm, then freezes and doesn't go into a corn cycle, natural snow could be unskiable.

elks

I'm not buying the snow in terms of powder. The snow is irrelevant... what matters is what happens immediately after the snow stops. This time of year is temperamental. If it snows, then gets warm, then freezes and doesn't go into a corn cycle, natural snow could be unskiable.

I agree. I was there 10 days ago and on one day the glades never softened up and were not worth the effort. The next day it "snowed" which translated to some snow that really didn't stick at the very top and pouring drenching rain on most of the mountain.

BenedictGomez

I skied Jay last Thursday and Friday and thought it was awesome, especially given it was April. On Thursday the woods were all great, but it got warm that day and then cold at night, so Friday the woods were hit or miss, everything from fresh snow in Beaver Pond, to good God get me out of here in Hell's Woods. Timbucktoo was okay, Expo Glades were awesome, Bonnie glades were a trainwreck, etc.... This time of year the woods are like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates.

TheBEast

Best to stick to bumps and steeps this time of year.....but I would be in the same debate thinking about this weekend with the weather. Fresh snow this time of year can really be an issue. I was up there for 4 days the third weekend in March. Tons of snow, got warm Thursday afternoon then we decided to do a Dip run to 242 the next day on Friday and found ourselves in shin deep sun baked mashed potatoes which sucked, while other spots on the mountain were prime powder skiing....oh well.

C-Rex

What I'm hearing is what I'm afraid of. I think at this point I might as well wait until next weekend when hopefully it'll warm up a bit and be more spring-ish. I think that's a more sure bet. Plus, my friend invited me to a fishing tourny this Saturday so that makes it an easier decision. And before someone gets all Ranger Rick on me, I know the season doesn't start until the following weekend, the tourny is on private land.

Edd

Here now. Looks like about an inch has fallen. Forecast says 5-8 throughout the day and Jay is guessing it'll end up being a foot on their website. Knowing what's underneath after yesterday I imagine it'll be awhile before its worth skiing.

Doing a slow drive to Maine today and hoping for some decent conditions at Saddleback and SR this weekend.

Huck_It_Baby

What I'm hearing is what I'm afraid of. I think at this point I might as well wait until next weekend when hopefully it'll warm up a bit and be more spring-ish. I think that's a more sure bet. Plus, my friend invited me to a fishing tourny this Saturday so that makes it an easier decision. And before someone gets all Ranger Rick on me, I know the season doesn't start until the following weekend, the tourny is on private land.

The snow is just starting to fall @ Jay and you have already thrown in the towel? Sure it's a gamble, sure the snow could suck, sure it's a long drive but you don't know what will happen just yet. What if magic happens? What if 10+ inches of decent snow really does fall?

Fishing tourney over Ski/riding? Priorities man! You have all spring and summer to yank fish out of the water and drink beer. In a week or 2 you might not have the chance to ride lift serviced for 6 months. 6 months!!! That's depressing. I really struggle at the end of the season. Reverse seasonal depression.

Don't kick my ass though if you come up and it's raining =)

Last edited:

C-Rex

The snow is just starting to fall @ Jay and you have already thrown in the towel? Sure it's a gamble, sure the snow could suck, sure it's a long drive but you don't know what will happen just yet. What if magic happens? What if 10+ inches of decent snow really does fall?

Fishing tourney over Ski/riding? Priorities man! You have all spring and summer to yank fish out of the water and drink beer. In a week or 2 you might not have the chance to ride lift serviced for 6 months. 6 months!!! That's depressing. I really struggle at the end of the season. Reverse seasonal depression.

Don't kick my ass though if you come up and it's raining =)

Haha! Nothing is set in stone just yet. I'll watch the weather reports thoughout the day and make my decision later tonight. Believe me, I'd much rather be riding tomorrow but if it's not going to be worth it, then at least I can get drunk and possibly fall into some very cold water.

Huck_It_Baby

Haha! Nothing is set in stone just yet. I'll watch the weather reports thoughout the day and make my decision later tonight. Believe me, I'd much rather be riding tomorrow but if it's not going to be worth it, then at least I can get drunk and possibly fall into some very cold water.

Haha. Just messing around! I'm watching the weather intently. Good chance I'll be at Jay in the morning unless Mansfield get hit harder.

WWF-VT

From Stowe's conditions report this AM: Here at the mountain this morning we have light sleet falling. We have seen a few flakes mix in briefly, and we have received a dusting of sleet so far. Today’s forecast calls for cloudy skies with a wintery mix of precipitation types expected. Sleet may end up being the predominate precipitation type today, mixing with snow at times this morning, and freezing rain later this afternoon. High temperatures will be in the upper 20s at the summit and in the low to mid 30s at the base.

BenedictGomez

You have all spring and summer to yank fish out of the water and drink beer. In a week or 2 you might not have the chance to ride lift serviced for 6 months. 6 months!!! That's depressing.

I kind of feel the above way too, but my 2012/13 ski season ended at Jay on Friday. Cant justify that long of a drive again for what probably wont be the most optimal conditions and/or taking the "conditions gamble", but if I lived in VT, NH, or MA I'd head up there. I did go trout fishing for the first time the other day though! That helps me get through the "depression period".

C-Rex

Fishing and mountain biking get me though the summers. Neither hold a candle to snowboarding though, IMO. I'm just not quite ready to call it a season. I think I might go to fishing tomorrow and hit Jay next weekend. I've never done a pond skim and they have one scheduled. Plus, being 4/20 is a nice touch...

ScottySkis

Fishing and mountain biking get me though the summers. Neither hold a candle to snowboarding though, IMO. I'm just not quite ready to call it a season. I think I might go to fishing tomorrow and hit Jay next weekend. I've never done a pond skim and they have one scheduled. Plus, being 4/20 is a nice touch...

420 is always a big plus.

Steve@jpr

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
State of the state

Currently snowing pretty good here but we've had big integrations of sleet as well and lots of frozen everywhere. We may end up with a good 5-8" yet, but I can't imagine the conditions are going to be particularly wonderful tomorrow to be honest. Groomers for sure and, if that's your bag, you'd prob be better off someplace else.

sw

It's hard. I start focusing on my boat, SCUBA diving and soccer. Nothing replaces snow and mountains though!