To Jay or not to Jay....

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

To Jay or not to Jay....

I still have 2 vouchers for Jay to use and I'm debating going up this weekend or waiting until next.

Do I go up tomorrow night, knowing they may get a decent refresh from this possible storm coming though tonight/tomorrow. The possibility of freshies in the woods mid-April is quite tempting.

Or do I just wait until next weekend, enjoy the spring corn, and rock out at the pond skim?

Yup-- the possible winter weather has me in a quandry also-- I won't mind fresh, even wet fresh, but frozen gran I can do without....

Exactly, I don't want to commit to this weekend and end up riding frozen groomers all day.

Skied Jay today late morning. A few soft spots but mostly...it was unpleasantly firm. Figured the woods were pointless.

I'm going to be at Jay Peak this weekend for the first time ever. I'm psyched about this snow, but there might also be a little rain too.
    2013-2014 Season
    Mt. Abram 4/4
    Sunday River: 12/26, 1/4, 1/5, 2/15, 4/4
    Wildcat: 4/1
    Sugarloaf: 3/1, 3/16
    Titcomb: 3/15
    Black Mountain NH: 1/13

"A Maine Ski Lift Enthusiast" page
    2012-2013 Season

I'm not buying the snow in terms of powder. The snow is irrelevant... what matters is what happens immediately after the snow stops. This time of year is temperamental. If it snows, then gets warm, then freezes and doesn't go into a corn cycle, natural snow could be unskiable.
    -Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

Quote Originally Posted by riverc0il View Post
    I'm not buying the snow in terms of powder. The snow is irrelevant... what matters is what happens immediately after the snow stops. This time of year is temperamental. If it snows, then gets warm, then freezes and doesn't go into a corn cycle, natural snow could be unskiable.
    I agree. I was there 10 days ago and on one day the glades never softened up and were not worth the effort. The next day it "snowed" which translated to some snow that really didn't stick at the very top and pouring drenching rain on most of the mountain.

I skied Jay last Thursday and Friday and thought it was awesome, especially given it was April. On Thursday the woods were all great, but it got warm that day and then cold at night, so Friday the woods were hit or miss, everything from fresh snow in Beaver Pond, to good God get me out of here in Hell's Woods. Timbucktoo was okay, Expo Glades were awesome, Bonnie glades were a trainwreck, etc.... This time of year the woods are like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Best to stick to bumps and steeps this time of year.....but I would be in the same debate thinking about this weekend with the weather. Fresh snow this time of year can really be an issue. I was up there for 4 days the third weekend in March. Tons of snow, got warm Thursday afternoon then we decided to do a Dip run to 242 the next day on Friday and found ourselves in shin deep sun baked mashed potatoes which sucked, while other spots on the mountain were prime powder skiing....oh well.

What I'm hearing is what I'm afraid of. I think at this point I might as well wait until next weekend when hopefully it'll warm up a bit and be more spring-ish. I think that's a more sure bet. Plus, my friend invited me to a fishing tourny this Saturday so that makes it an easier decision. And before someone gets all Ranger Rick on me, I know the season doesn't start until the following weekend, the tourny is on private land.

Thread Information