To Jay or not to Jay.... - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve@jpr View Post
    Currently snowing pretty good here but we've had big integrations of sleet as well and lots of frozen everywhere. We may end up with a good 5-8" yet, but I can't imagine the conditions are going to be particularly wonderful tomorrow to be honest. Groomers for sure and, if that's your bag, you'd prob be better off someplace else.

sw
    Thanks Steve!

Anyone who claims Jay doesn't have honest snow reporting should be directed to this thread =)

Quote Originally Posted by Huck_It_Baby View Post
    Thanks Steve!

Anyone who claims Jay doesn't have honest snow reporting should be directed to this thread =)
    That's a lot more accurate than the glowing report on the Jay Peak website updated today at 1:16 PM : Today, our Mountain Forecaster is also calling for 5 – 8 inches… Are we going to get multiple feet? Probably not, but are certainly looking at numbers over a FOOT, which is just fine for the middle of April. It is 6:15a and the storm just landed; it’s going to be a great day and weekend. Enjoy the April powder.

Quote Originally Posted by Huck_It_Baby View Post

See the WWF-VT post.

IMO, Jay Peak still retains the rep of being one of the more.........shall I say......... "snowtimistic" of the ski resorts. To their detriment IMO. It's not 1987 anymore, you cant fool people with this ****. Between forums like this, reports from "natives" that live 3.7 miles from the resort, numerous webcams, ski condition apps, the IMMEDIATE connectivity of the internet, you really cant BS people on conditions anymore.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    See the WWF-VT post.

IMO, Jay Peak still retains the rep of being one of the more.........shall I say......... "snowtimistic" of the ski resorts. To their detriment IMO. It's not 1987 anymore, you cant fool people with this ****. Between forums like this, reports from "natives" that live 3.7 miles from the resort, numerous webcams, ski condition apps, the IMMEDIATE connectivity of the internet, you really cant BS people on conditions anymore.
    Maybe. Those of us who are obsessed enough to be in ski forums, weather forums and the like are a small percentage of the ski world. The masses can still be fooled.

The only way you'll find out if it's good or not is to be there.

Don't chase the reports, be the report.

Quote Originally Posted by steamboat1 View Post
    The only way you'll find out if it's good or not is to be there.

Don't chase the reports, be the report.
    Great advice steamboat.

Turned out to be an awesome day. All glades were in great conditions. A bit hard early on but perfect in the afternoon. Even hit face chute and pumphouse with my 8 year old son. That's how good it was. The orchard was in as good condition as it has been all winter. Simply amazing for mid April.

Had my doubts after Steve's post but he definitely was way to pessimistic -quite unusual for a marketing guy.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    See the WWF-VT post.

As usual, I highly dispute this. Jay occasionally flubs. But they are usually very honest and sometimes to a fault (i.e. you occasionally see some MRG style humor about bad conditions). They got 4-5" FWIW. I was a pass holder there for three seasons and I ski there a half dozen times a year or so for the last three seasons. I am a VERY harsh critic of bad snow reporting. If your argument held water, I'd be the first to back it up. You are clearly not on the ground at Jay comparing actual conditions to the report as frequently as many other posters that back them up.

-Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

Quote Originally Posted by riverc0il View Post
    As usual, I highly dispute this. Jay occasionally flubs. But they are usually very honest and sometimes to a fault (i.e. you occasionally see some MRG style humor about bad conditions). They got 4-5" FWIW. I was a pass holder there for three seasons and I ski there a half dozen times a year or so for the last three seasons. I am a VERY harsh critic of bad snow reporting. If your argument held water, I'd be the first to back it up. You are clearly not on the ground at Jay comparing actual conditions to the report as frequently as many other posters that back them up.
    Great; I "highly dispute" your highly disputing. As I've said before, they've definitely improved since I lived up there, no question about it and I'll give credit where credit is due, but they're hardly white gloved. You should also pay attention to timing issues as well as simply what is reported, which IMO is a key aspect of ski report deception that is missed by many. Are they the worst? Hardly, but I didnt say they were. There's no way they're among the best either, and if you think they are, well, then I'd have to say that you're not comparing various northeast ski reports "actual conditions to the report" as well "as many other posters".
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by fbrissette View Post
    Great advice steamboat.

Turned out to be an awesome day. All glades were in great conditions. A bit hard early on but perfect in the afternoon. Even hit face chute and pumphouse with my 8 year old son. That's how good it was. The orchard was in as good condition as it has been all winter. Simply amazing for mid April.

Had my doubts after Steve's post but he definitely was way to pessimistic -quite unusual for a marketing guy.
    Conditions were great! Hit the face area 4 times saturday! Staircase and everglade were fun. Great snow early in the morning: surfy and creamy!

sunday morning: surprise! A solid6-8in... Wow! Lapped the jet from 9 to 11. Sun came out. Started to besticky. Back home now in the city. Going for a bike ride in thesun.

What a weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by BigJay View Post
    Conditions were great! Hit the face area 4 times saturday! Staircase and everglade were fun. Great snow early in the morning: surfy and creamy!

sunday morning: surprise! A solid6-8in... Wow! Lapped the jet from 9 to 11. Sun came out. Started to besticky. Back home now in the city. Going for a bike ride in thesun.

What a weekend!
    Same scenario here. Only had 90 minutes to ski this morning (wife had to be in Montreal for work) but wow ! what a surprise. Third chair on the flyer, then the Tram. First tracks on Ull'r, beaver, Valhalla. Pretty amazing for mid April.

Downside - skied a bit longer than we wanted, had to speed to get to Montreal in time, got a 130$ speeding ticket...

Thread Information