"It can happen to anyone" Tuckerman Ravine

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"It can happen to anyone" Tuckerman Ravine

Ten ways for you to get hurt in Tuckerman this spring

http://www.mountwashingtonavalanchecenter.org/2013/04/12/it-can-happen-to-anyone/

Good stuff there. The bonus was fantastic. That probably wasn't the easiest thing to write and post but when the pros make mistakes and say be mindful, that is a really good reminder that no one is immune to losing focus and getting hurt.
    -Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

Experience helps but accidents happen.
    Live, Ski or Die Trying!!!
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

Great article. Good heads up for novices and the experienced

Quote Originally Posted by riverc0il View Post
    Good stuff there. The bonus was fantastic.
    It's funny that you give special props to that one, because it's the only one I took issue with at all. I always carry my gear up on a pack and I've always considered that it's the safest way and makes the most sense. BUT...a few years back I was booting up left gully when a snowboarder triggered an avalanche above us near the rollover. Thank god I was only about 1/3 of the way up and had time and room to move laterally and get out of the way. But 2 other skiers were right in the middle of the hourglass and went for the full ride from there. One of them was carrying his skis and ditched them as he slid. He had no issues. The other skier had them slung diagonally on his pack. He got PUMMELED in the face by his skis the whole way down and was unable to control his tumbling slide because of the flailing skis on his back. He end up buried to his waist, severely bloodied, and semi-conscious. Ever since, I've considered the ability to ditch your gear a significant safety concern.

I always pack carry my skis and I consider that type of accident the lower risk of the many possible issues when shouldering your skis...

...that said, I wasn't giving props to pack carry but rather the author, someone responsible for disseminating avalanche and safety info, writing an article about safety and saying even I did something dumb that caused me harm. It was a call out and fitting conclusion to the theme that it could happen to any one when you aren't being careful (and hell, even if you are, but the point is to be aware and mitigate).
    -Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

good read!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
    Great article. Good heads up for novices and the experienced

It's funny that you give special props to that one, because it's the only one I took issue with at all. I always carry my gear up on a pack and I've always considered that it's the safest way and makes the most sense. BUT...a few years back I was booting up left gully when a snowboarder triggered an avalanche above us near the rollover. Thank god I was only about 1/3 of the way up and had time and room to move laterally and get out of the way. But 2 other skiers were right in the middle of the hourglass and went for the full ride from there. One of them was carrying his skis and ditched them as he slid. He had no issues. The other skier had them slung diagonally on his pack. He got PUMMELED in the face by his skis the whole way down and was unable to control his tumbling slide because of the flailing skis on his back. He end up buried to his waist, severely bloodied, and semi-conscious. Ever since, I've considered the ability to ditch your gear a significant safety concern.
    I still want to put my stuff on a pack..

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    I still want to put my stuff on a pack..
    Me too. Just saying it's a concern.

My manager at work is going there this weekend with his son and brother.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Thread Information