Gunstock vs Ragged vs Pats - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I ski all three, four if you include Crotched!

I think that Gunstock has trails that are more interesting and you can get to everything from the HSQ. Their night skiing is better than others mentioned here. The night skiing runs ski bigger even tough it is not from the summit - they are spread out. Tiger triple services the best night skiing runs out of all three here. Overall, many different options of trail combos from Panorama! Regarding facilities, Gunstock has a decent Pub and the food in not bad.

Ragged's 6-pack services a part of the mountian that can be pretty boring if skied over and over. Yes the glades are better at Ragged but only a part of their glades is available from the Express chair. The Spear Triple is super slow and when it is cold you know it!! However, I do like the trails on the Spear Mountain side! Overall, trail distribution is pretty good. Tallulahs has a good vide and their Bistro has probably the best food of the four mention here.

Pats Peak is fun but after sking there for an hour or two you can get really bored! We went to Pats on two Saturday's and it gets crazy busy and since their chairs are all slow it can be a tough day! Lots and Lots of kids there! There are two steeper runs Cyclone and Tornado as well as a nice bump run (Hurricane) that are fun but the run out is a killer (no grade). I find myself skiing FIS and Twister a lot. Night skiing is fun there too but do not go on a Saturday night! The Sled Pub has the nicest atmosphere of all four mentioned here and their food is pretty good too! Pats is the easiest to get to! Best snowmaking!

Crotched Mountain is awesome with the addition of the new HSQ (Rocket). Up in 4 Minutes and there a good combination of trails but like Pats, it is fun for abut 2 hours then it feels repetitive! Only one trail is flat and we never ski it! Crotched is a little more off the beaten path out of all of them. We generally ski Crotched from 2:30-5 and that is plenty! It is a nice smaler ski area! Their bar - well it is like a fenced in area! Feels weird and as far as their food - its OK!

All four have decent a decent lodge, all four have a cafeteria, three of the four have express chairs (exception is Pats). Ragged and Gunstock have about the same acreage, but Gunstock has a little more vert! Pats peak is addinig about 6 more trails and a HS triple - not sure is that is all this year! I think Ragged has some expansion plans but the details are vague at this time.

In summary - I would probably pick Gunstock with Ragged being a close second. Pats peak and Crotched are in a different class. They are not bad but a season pass - I do not think so! Pats and Crotched are less than half the size of the other two and Gunstock has twice the verticle of Pats!

A Gunstock downer - I hate walking from the main lodge to the chairs, with ski boots and carrying gear it seems like a hike!
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Length of season: I can tell you that Pats has been aggressive in terms of opening early. They used to open the first weekend of December, now they usually go one weekend before or so.

Ragged, as said, is a bit slower.

Gunstock: good question for DHS. Gunstock is owned and run by Belknap County, but they have committed to running it right.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    Pats peak is addinig about 6 more trails and a HS triple
    They claim "high-capacity" not "High-Speed"
    I think it will be slow with some gimmick to make it somehow more efficient.
    "man you make it look so fluid"

Last yr Ragged offered a joint pass w/ Dartmouth Skiway for an additional $50. Assuming they do this again a Ragged/Dartmouth pass would cost $479 with no blackout days.
    Gunstock is $399....Crotched $399 but you can upgrade to the Granite Classic pass for $499 and includes Attitash/Wildcat with only a few blackout dates.

If you are looking to maximize the value of the pass I'd vote for the Peaks Granite offering since Crotched blows a lot of snow and will probably open by Thanksgiving wknd while Wildcat will go through April most years.

I'd prob only ever get a Gunstock pass if they had a night only offering and I loved close enough such that I could be there a couple nights/week after work. Better options for wknds in this area I think.
    2018-19
    Wildcat 11/10

2017-2018 Days: 51
    2016-2017 Days: 51
    2015-2016 Days: 25
    2014-2015 Days: 36
    2013-2014 Days: 25
    2012-2013 Days: 16
    2011-2012 Days: 25
    2010-2011 Days: 24
    2009-2010 Days: 47

Quote Originally Posted by bobbutts View Post
    They claim "high-capacity" not "High-Speed"
    I think it will be slow with some gimmick to make it somehow more efficient.

If I had to guess it will be like Sugarloaf's Skyline Quad with conveyor belt loading.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Ragged has the best pulled pork sandwich I've ever had in my life, so of the three, I'd get a pass there.
    Have you had Snowbird Pork pulled sandwich is really good to.

Okay I would say Pats has the best snow making of the 3. Ragged has the worst.
    Ragged is the best when it has snow but it doesn't seem to get much.
    As others have said Gunstock gets the most crowded.
    Pats has Hurricane which is a great bump run.
    Ragged has great glades.
    Night skiing at Pats and Gunstock.
    I think Gunstock has the best vert of the 3.
    If I had to pay I wouldn't get a season pass at any of them.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days

Ragged would be a great place to think about for the long term. Their future plans include:

1. Replacing Spear Mountain with an express quad
    2. Building out to a 3rd peak
    3. Hotel near base

I know nothing about the timing of all this but each winter could provide something new!
    Days on the Snow:

Pre 2011:~20 per year
    2011-2012: 19
    2012-2013: 34
    2013-2014: 25
    2014-2015: 23
    2015-2015: 17

Quote Originally Posted by MadPadraic View Post
    I'm contemplating getting a pass to one of these for my "day-trip" mountain next year. I'm leaning towards Gunstock because of night skiing and its slightly shorter drive time from Boston. Why should I choose Ragged over Gunstock? Is one much more aggressive in terms of opening terrain or extending the season?
    I think you have answered your own questions here. Gunstock has a better drive than Ragged. And if night skiing is important, they have that as well. Your other night skiing options are Pats and Crotched. Crotched is superior to Pats for night skiing for sure. Pats is an okay place. I wouldn't make it a regular stop if you are coming up from Boston, you'll be better served by a larger mountain for your money. Ragged has the best glades south of the White Mountains. They have a nice little tree area but it isn't super expansive. Natural snow can be an issue for their glades but they are good when they are open.

Are there any other factors that might be of concern? I'd rule out Ragged if you are interested in night skiing and I'd look at Gunstock vs. Crotched instead of Gunstock vs Pats as your choice. As others have pointed out, you can add on Attitsh/Wildcat for a bit more cash if that works for you.
    -Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

Quote Originally Posted by riverc0il View Post
    I think you have answered your own questions here. Gunstock has a better drive than Ragged.
    I was curious about this as while it intuitively seems that Gunstock is closer to Boston than Ragged I checked Google maps. Using Boston as the starting point, Gunstock says it is 1 hr 51 mins while Ragged says it is 2 hrs even. Ragged's route does not have you going via New Canada Rd off Route 4 which would probably save you the 10 minute difference if you had a truck or a car with decent ground clearance to handle that road. That said I'm sure one could still reach Gunstock a bit faster due to the extra time on the highway vs Route 4 but I think Ragge'ds reputation as out of the way is a bit undeserved. Though perhaps this limits the crowds.

Gunstock gets skied off so quickly on weekend Saturdays I've found and the many trail intersections coming off the HSQ make the mtn ski smaller than its 1400' vertical would suggest.
    I do enjoy their night operation though----ripping groomers on the Pistol and Tiger chairs is fun.

I'd probably choose the Peaks Granite Classic pass myself for $499....consistently long season, night skiing, and lack of crowds at Crotched vs Gunstock. Can bang out a ton of runs on their new HSQ which makes it a great place for a few hrs. I'd even argue that Crotcheds glades are more expansive and better than what Gunstock has.
    2018-19
    Wildcat 11/10

2017-2018 Days: 51
    2016-2017 Days: 51
    2015-2016 Days: 25
    2014-2015 Days: 36
    2013-2014 Days: 25
    2012-2013 Days: 16
    2011-2012 Days: 25
    2010-2011 Days: 24
    2009-2010 Days: 47

Thread Information