Smuggs Sunday 03/14/2013

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smuggs Sunday 03/14/2013

I was up at Smuggs today the 13th. Very good. Amazing coverage. Upper mountain trails excellent, mid-mountain good, lower mountain a bit funky/crusty. They opened Liftline at noon (except the steepest middle pitch) which was great and I was in the trees most of the day, surprised by what was still doable.

Any ways, back for more tomorrow on the 14th for their closing day. I have an extra voucher I can offer up if anyone wants to join me for some turns. No charge on the ticket, only looking for company. Need to know before 9:30pm tonight when I log off as I won't check in during the A.M.
    -Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

Quote Originally Posted by Savemeasammy View Post
    Interested.
    Check your PMs.
    -Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

Missed this. I would have loved to meet up. I was at Smuggs yesterday too and was surprised at how good it was. Fresh tracks in the birthday bowls...I wouldn't call it powder but it was fresh!

We spent much of our time on sterling because of the visibility on Madonna (my glasses kept fogging up!), but we did hit lift line twice! What a great day. Where are the bowls you are talking about (it was my first trip to smuggs...)?

We spent much of our time on sterling because of the visibility on Madonna (my glasses kept fogging up!), but we did hit lift line twice! What a great day. Where are the bowls you are talking about (it was my first trip to smuggs...)?
    RivercOil didn't show you?

BB's are a pretty large area of chutes and glades which aren't marked on the map although hardly a secret. They lead down into the Notch and you end up on 108. Access via Sterling lift or skin up the hiking trail called Sterling Pond trail or the Long Trail.

Prime skiing. Very wide open glades in some areas.

He did tell me about that, but if he called it BB, I didn't hear him! There looks like there's a lot of awesome stuff to be had at Smuggs! Perhaps I/we should look you up next time... I'd love a good tour guide!

He did tell me about that, but if he called it BB, I didn't hear him! There looks like there's a lot of awesome stuff to be had at Smuggs! Perhaps I/we should look you up next time... I'd love a good tour guide!
    Some people call the area the "Back Bowls" and some say "Birthday Bowls". I prefer Birthday Bowls because back bowls sounds like we are ripping off Vail or something.

Anyway, I'd be happy to show you some of the cool stuff up there. The entire Mansfield/Smugglers notch region has become my favorite place to ski in VT.
    Last edited by Huck_It_Baby; Apr 15, 2013 at 9:58 AM. Reason: typo

The entire Mansfield/Smugglers notch region has become my favorite place to ski in VT.

I can understand why.

The entire Mansfield/Smugglers notch region has become my favorite place to ski in VT.

I can understand why.
    Too bad they are not officially connected anymore. Would be the best ski complex east of the Mississippi.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Thread Information