Smuggs Sunday 03/14/2013 - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26
  1. #11
    steamboat1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY/Pittsford,VT.
    Posts
    6,613
    Quote Originally Posted by 4aprice View Post
    Too bad they are not officially connected anymore. Would be the best ski complex east of the Mississippi.

    Alex

    Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    You can still ski from Stowe to Smuggs or visa versa. Problem is Stowe doesn't sell a single ride ticket anymore so it's cost prohibitive to buy a Stowe ticket then buy a ticket to ski Smuggs. Smuggs does sell a single ride ticket for $14. As far as I know Stowe & Smuggs have never been "officially" connected.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by steamboat1 View Post
    Smuggs does sell a single ride ticket for $14. As far as I know Stowe & Smuggs have never been "officially" connected.
    Actually 12 dollars! I get a single ride frequently and did so yesterday. Sometimes I head up Madonna then traverse (sometimes bushwhack) the ridge from madonna to sterling and hang out on the pond, eat lunch, jump the big drop back there and then hike up and over towards Stowe and ski into the bowls, skate out on 108 back to Smuggs. Makes for fun and cheap day or 1/2 day of skiing.

  3. #13
    steamboat1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY/Pittsford,VT.
    Posts
    6,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck_It_Baby View Post
    Actually 12 dollars! I get a single ride frequently and did so yesterday. Sometimes I head up Madonna then traverse (sometimes bushwhack) the ridge from madonna to sterling and hang out on the pond, eat lunch, jump the big drop back there and then hike up and over towards Stowe and ski into the bowls, skate out on 108 back to Smuggs. Makes for fun and cheap day or 1/2 day of skiing.
    Yeah but the whole idea of doing that back in the daY was to ski from Stowe to Smuggs to save at least an hour drive from points south.

  4. #14
    It was fantastic up there both days this weekend. Man, I love Smuggs! Too bad you didn't see my post, would have been great to ski with you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Huck_It_Baby View Post
    RivercOil didn't show you?
    I didn't know what the gullies were looking like. Given the weather recently, I should have assumed they were still solid. But I was a touch concerned there might have been some open brooks by now. Probably needless caution. Also, I found the natural snow at lower elevation was quite nasty so I assumed the ski out would be pretty bad just before the road. The skiing was really good on the main hill any ways.

    -Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

  5. #15
    ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1366124010.238479.jpg
    Liftline under Madonna. We were able to get this twice. I can still feel my legs burning 2 days later. That must mean Riverc0il and I had a good day...!

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by riverc0il View Post
    It was fantastic up there both days this weekend. Man, I love Smuggs! Too bad you didn't see my post, would have been great to ski with you.


    I didn't know what the gullies were looking like. Given the weather recently, I should have assumed they were still solid. But I was a touch concerned there might have been some open brooks by now. Probably needless caution. Also, I found the natural snow at lower elevation was quite nasty so I assumed the ski out would be pretty bad just before the road. The skiing was really good on the main hill any ways.
    Yeah it would have been fun. Maybe another time. My season isn't over yet!

    There was plenty of snow in the notch until the very end of the run out on 108 but I never had to remove my skis. The last few hundred vertical of the descent had a notable difference in snow pack however. This coming weekend I doubt if the road will have any snow on it at all.

    I think it might be wise to look for turns across the street on the Chin. That extra elevation could make a big difference from here on out.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Savemeasammy View Post
    ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1366124010.238479.jpg
    Liftline under Madonna. We were able to get this twice. I can still feel my legs burning 2 days later. That must mean Riverc0il and I had a good day...!
    I love the runs under the lifts at Smuggs! Tons of great rocks to throw yourself off!

  8. #18
    I emailed Steve to say I might be up for Stowe this weekend. I'm not sure if he's into it or not...!

  9. #19
    ***EDIT- Meant to quote Steamboat's last post here***

    True but I still love that I can get a single ride at Smuggs. I wish more resorts did this.

    It's not that bad of a hike between the two resorts in my opinion. The notch road sees a lot of skier and hiker traffic and it's always packed down.
    Last edited by Huck_It_Baby; Apr 16, 2013 at 10:42 AM. Reason: forgot quote

  10. #20
    I'm thinking about Stowe for this coming weekend. I have a voucher and they are a strong candidate since they are closing this weekend IIRC. But if conditions are fab, I might go for a hike/climb instead. We'll see how things look later this week.
    -Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 4:23 AM.