• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Explosions at Boston Marathon

wa-loaf

I'm guessing the only reason they didn't skip town was the desire to do more harm.

I don't think they thought they would get caught. The younger brother went back to Umass Dartmouth and partied all week like nothing happened.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I honestly don't think they had an exit plan at all and panicked Thursday leading to their impromptu escape attempt--rob a place to get food, steal a car, and try to flee.

tekweezle

If they were on the college campus grounds with live explosives and weapons, it's likely they were planning to do more harm. Sad that a campus security officer died but if there is a bright side, it could have been much much worse.

Sent from a Samsung Fascinate running CM 10.1

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I don't think they thought they would get caught. The younger brother went back to Umass Dartmouth and partied all week like nothing happened.

Yup. I will admit on Tuesday / Wed. I was sort of wondering if we would catch them.

I do wonder if this had been 10 years ago, prior to the proliferation of cheap phones / cameras / etc., if this would have been as quick a turnaround on the catch.

legalskier

F.I.S. Tribute to Boston victim Martin Richards

"Martin Richards, the youngest victim of the recent bombing tragedy at the Boston Marathon (USA) was one of the young skiers of the United States YE/BSP Ski Team. The 8-year-old was watching his father Bill, the ski club coach crossing the finish line when he was tragically killed. His mother and sister were seriously injured.

FIS would like to express its sincere condolences to the family and friends of Martin Richards"

http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/news/fisnews/fisnews.html?actu_id_444=6741

HD333

large-1.jpg

Special hat with all proceeds going to the fund for the victims of the bombing. I just ordered mine.

https://www.47brand.com/shop/mlb/bo...d-sox-b-strong-47-brand-cap/product/5546.aspx
Got the hats I ordered today, we will be wearing them with pride. Great to see how much money is being raised for the One Fund.
Heard Jeff Bauman today on D&C he was asked about bomber #1, he said "I am alive and he is dead". Great quote.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Surprised by the verdict myself, but this is far from reaching closure. The appeals process will take years no?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Surprised by the verdict myself, but this is far from reaching closure. The appeals process will take years no?

Potentially. I believe he has an automatic appeal to the Circuit Court if he so chooses. Though I don't do criminal law and death penalty cases are VERY technical and specific.

JimG.

Staff member
Remember this is a federal case. Tim McVeigh was executed only a few years after he was convicted, granted he pushed for his own execution.

Some think that was done for effect and the fed may try to do the same with this guy.

Warp Daddy

I would imagine THIS will be a long drawn out process of appeals . only 3 or 4 out of the last 80 or so federal death penalty cases have actually resulted in execution according to reports on various news media .

So more cost , more emotional turmoil for victim families and the only people that make out are the legal beagles , no offense intended TB :dontknow:

skiNEwhere

Notable executions at the federal level that come to mind are timothy mcveigh and the beltway sniper.....wouldn't be surprised if he actually gets the death penalty when it's all said and done

ctenidae

In my mind, the biggest argument against the death penalty here is a religious one- not that it's against the teachings of your representative deity of choice, but that it is the desired outcome leading to martyrdom in the worldview of this particular brand of crazy.

Lock him in a small room, and let him think about what he did. Leaving him there won't change anything, but killing him can only have negative effects.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The argument against the death penalty I hear most is that an extremist will eventually kidnap a bus full of people and demand his release as ransom.

dlague

The argument against the death penalty I hear most is that an extremist will eventually kidnap a bus full of people and demand his release as ransom.

Shouldn't say "for" rather than "against the death penalty" and add to the end if he were to serve a life sentence.