• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Explosions at Boston Marathon

dmc

What are the experts on Facebook saying?

Vast right wing conspiracy theories have begun in earnest...
I'm going to disconnect... More than I already have...

Warp Daddy

I make absolutely no assumptions on this until more HARD data and info emerges ,right now it is a fog . The professionals discharged with this responsibility WILL do their job butit will take some effort

On a very personal level

MY grandson and his mom were at MASS General yesterday for an overnite procedure , got there a couple hrs before the bombings . They were in a lockdown mode we were facetiming them all last nite . My daughter almost went out for a walk near the marathon finish since she had some time to spend before my grandsons procedure . Luckily his lunch arrived late and she decided to stay at the hospital since time was drawing near . We all usually attend the marathon BUT this year because of this hospital procedure we did not.

My heartfelt sympathy to all the victims and their families of this horribly insane event.

wa-loaf

Vast right wing conspiracy theories have begun in earnest...
I'm going to disconnect... More than I already have...

This, and posts about whether so and so called it terrorism. One person was actually concerned that Ellen and George Takai had posted notices of condolence while the White House still had a reminder to get your taxes done. Like the first thing the White House was worried about was what they should put on facebook.

ctenidae

My gut tells me home grown loonies.

It's interesting that all the news reports on unexploded devices mention2 found- one at a hotel, and one at an undisclosed location. I wonder if they actually found 3, and are keeping an eye on the 2 unreported spots to see if someone comes by to check which one didn't get found. I'd do that...

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Best to assume everything said in the next 24 hours is simply rumor. Until official word is given. And even then, that must be taken as very tentative. Goodness knows how many times even the best media sources get their first reports wrong on major events. Everyone should be questioning everything they read and not taking it for fact unless it has been extensively corroborated by multiple sources.

This is exactly it. There is so much speculation in the immediate aftermath (12+ hours) that it's all up or down. The only thing we really knew yesterday was the first hand account of two bombs on Boylston street. Everything else was speculation. Facebook was crazy yesterday with the stuff that goes viral.

I ran the marathon twice in 06 and 09. It would never have crossed my mind that an explosion would take place or an attack. It's just such a positive, energetic event.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com

It's interesting that all the news reports on unexploded devices mention2 found- one at a hotel, and one at an undisclosed location. I wonder if they actually found 3, and are keeping an eye on the 2 unreported spots to see if someone comes by to check which one didn't get found. I'd do that...

why would someone retrieve an unexploded bomb? the only thing I can think of would be there was some sort of evidence there to tie them to it.

wa-loaf

why would someone retrieve an unexploded bomb? the only thing I can think of would be there was some sort of evidence there to tie them to it.

I think he's saying he'd try to set up to get the terrorist to show up again, not that he would do the same thing if he planted the bomb.

Puck it

I doubt that to. But they may be able to trace the parts of the bomb. Hopefully some video surfaces showing something also.

dmc

uuuuugh....
While many take care of injured..
Many start looting...

Puck it

uuuuugh....
Many start looting...

I saw that on the news last night and could not believe it. Appalling. Even if they were told to take by an official. Where are their consciences?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
uuuuugh....
Many start looting...

Wow. That is disgraceful. Utterly disgraceful.

Edit: top comment on YouTube video claims:

please thumb up the TRUTH: I WAS THERE. THEY WERE GIVING THEM AWAY to comfort injured or those who could not go back to hotel. The guy whom you can see carrying the boxes brought them to us. Yes, some people took advantage of it, what can you do, but it's not looting what you see.

For what it's worth...

o3jeff

Wow. That is disgraceful. Utterly disgraceful.

Edit: top comment on YouTube video claims:

For what it's worth...

Doesn't look like many of them were in a big hurry to go comfort anyone as the leisurely strolled away with their hands full. Stuff is probably up on ebay....

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Doesn't look like many of them were in a big hurry to go comfort anyone as the leisurely strolled away with their hands full. Stuff is probably up on ebay....

That's stuff is expensive too. I have a adidas marathon jacket from 2009. I think I paid like $80 or more for it.

Puck it

Now they are reporting a mystery man on roof. In the aerial coverage that they were looping yesterday, you can see a group of people up on that roof. Looked like it was party. Lots of bogus reporting going on.
roof17n-1-web.jpg

dmc

That's stuff is expensive too. I have a adidas marathon jacket from 2009. I think I paid like $80 or more for it.

I'd say even more expensive now given the historical difference...