• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Explosions at Boston Marathon

Puck it

DMPQDnd.jpg

o3jeff

roof17n-1-web 1.jpg

Maybe this person is activating the bomb?

Point being there are probably 100's of people on the roofs watching and thousands of mystery people watching along the road that could of been connected....

wa-loaf

Now they are reporting a mystery man on roof. In the aerial coverage that they were looping yesterday, you can see a group of people up on that roof. Looked like it was party. Lots of bogus reporting going on.
roof17n-1-web.jpg

Hanging out on roofs and drinking is a Boston Marathon tradition.

drjeff

Hanging out on roofs and drinking is a Boston Marathon tradition.

The only "bad" thing about that roof deck is folks on it would have a much better view of the 4th of July fireworks over the Charles than the Marathon coming down Boylston ;) I'm guessing that there are far more buildings in the Back Bay area that have roof decks than don't have them

Too many folks are trying to be 1st with reports of possible suspects/leads/etc rather than just trying to be correct. I'm just waiting until reports that it was someone wearing a Yankees hat come out :rolleyes:

wa-loaf

A good read from an MIT security expert:

http://cognoscenti.wbur.org/2013/04/16/boston-resilience-jim-walsh

Boston is not the biggest city in America; it is not the most politically powerful. But it has an inner determination and power that only the foolish ignore. Next year, at the 118th running of the Boston Marathon, I confidently predict there will be more runners and more supporters than ever before.

ctenidae

why would someone retrieve an unexploded bomb? the only thing I can think of would be there was some sort of evidence there to tie them to it.

Retrieve or detonate/reset. If it's home grown loonies, they may want to see which one the police couldn't find, because then they're smarter than the cops. If it's fundamentalist/idealogically driven, then it's a low probability they'd come back since it's a different motivation. But, still worth a shot by the FBI- give the criminals every chance to screw up.

wa-loaf

The only "bad" thing about that roof deck is folks on it would have a much better view of the 4th of July fireworks over the Charles than the Marathon coming down Boylston ;) I'm guessing that there are far more buildings in the Back Bay area that have roof decks than don't have them

Actually if you can see the guy and the railing so clearly from the street they probably have a great view of all the runners coming down Boylston for quite a ways.

Puck it

Actually if you can see the guy and the railing so clearly from the street they probably have a great view of all the runners coming down Boylston for quite a ways.

From aerial view, you can see they have a clear view down the street as runners approach. The building in that direction are significasntly lower.

drjeff

Point taken. What I was trying to convey is that in that pic, you can see that the sight of the 1st explosion is 100 yards to the Copley Square side of the building that person is on and that 2nd explosion is about still on the Copley Square side where the person is, and the roof deck is 1/2 a building in from Boylston. Neither of which would make for "prime viewing" if that person was the psycho that did this.

If there is to be swift justice for this act, when they find the person(s) who did this, just drop them off in Southie after letting some of Southie's "finest" citizens know when and where the drop off will occur ;)

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Google Earth can be used for more than just modeling chairlifts...

Map of the to explosions. Actually almost exactly 200 yards apart (positioning based on photo evidence showing scorch marks on the ground).

View from the rooftop where the guy is walking. Those rooftops are covered with people on Marathon day. This rooftop can see both the finishline and all the way back to the Mass Pike/I-90 crossing. The roof in question is the one in the upper left corner above explosion #2.

View toward Copley and the finishline:

View West toward I-90:

drjeff

If the bomber really wanted to watch what was going on they would have had a great view from the windows on the upper 1/3rd of the Hancock Tower.

And that doesn't even get into the Westin, the Marriot, the Fairmont, the Lenox, and the Mandarin Oriental hotels (and probably a couple of others i'm forgetting off the top of my head right now) all with higher floor rooms facing Boylston St within a couple of blocks of the finishline area.

Heck, about 6 weeks ago, I was staying in the Westin (lower left of the last picture) 3 floors from the top looking out towards the Marathon route and the Charles beyond.

You could probably find literally thousands of pictures/images that could show a possible person with a view of the blast sites

dmc

I was going to say the FBI and Homeland security are probably pulling profiles on everyone that has stayed in hotel rooms with a view of the blast sites from the last year.

They did the same after 911 for all the hotels facing the WTC...
Standard Operations... probably..