Explosions at Boston Marathon - Page 10

AlpineZone

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ctenidae View Post
    You know, there was something that wasn't adding up for me, and that was the apparent low placement of the bombs- higher up would have caused more deaths, I think. But, doing it at ground level targets the legs, with obvious connections to marathons.

That's a level of cleverness that I would not ascribe to your standard Islamic fundamentalist terrorist. Makes me think all the more it's a lunatic of the home grown variety. Coupled with the no claims of responsibility yet, and local makes more sense than imported terror.

Who got bullied by the track team?
    I agree. It was placed and desgned to maim not kill.
    Live, Ski or Die Trying!!!
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

An envelope that tested positive for the deadly poison ricin was intercepted Tuesday afternoon at the U.S. Capitol's off-site mail facility in Washington, congressional and law enforcement sources tell CNN.After the envelope tested positive in a first routine test, it was retested two more times, each time coming up positive, the law enforcement source said.
    The envelope was addressed to a U.S. senator, though the sources would not say which one.
    From CNN

Interesting observation cten. What surprised me from the start is the timing. Why not set it off when the big names were coming through? Why wait until after 4 hours? Maximum impact and exposure would have been when the cameras were on the finish line. No cameras are on the finish line at 4 hours, mostly older and charity runners coming in after that time. Quite frankly, given the intent, this could have caused even more harm and death if this wacko executed better.

One answer to both our questions is that it wasn't well thought out (though your suggestion was that it was diabolically thought out with specific intent).

-Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

Quote Originally Posted by riverc0il View Post
    Interesting observation cten. What surprised me from the start is the timing. Why not set it off when the big names were coming through? Why wait until after 4 hours? Maximum impact and exposure would have been when the cameras were on the finish line. No cameras are on the finish line at 4 hours, mostly older and charity runners coming in after that time. Quite frankly, given the intent, this could have caused even more harm and death if this wacko executed better.

One answer to both our questions is that it wasn't well thought out (though your suggestion was that it was diabolically thought out with specific intent).
    The two theories I've heard regarding the timing are

1. It was too difficult for the carrier to reach the the finish line area due to crowding during the time the winners crossed.

2. The time in which the bomb was set off is the average finish time for most racers. So, in theory by detonating at that time, there was the greatest potential to inflict harm on not only spectators, but those competing as well.

But who the hell knows, that's all just speculation from crime "experts." Only the monster that's responsible knows. Hopefully we have that answer soon. I find it inconceivable that the crime could go unsolved given the massive amount of personal cameras being used in the area, TV crews and surveillance cameras from local businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by Puck it View Post
    I agree. It was placed and desgned to maim not kill.
    Exactly. This thing could have been so much bigger. You'd think an organized terrorist group would have used plastic explosive, which would have leveled buildings. These bombs were most likely made up of a few cans of gun powder. The very opaque white and 'puffy' smoke is commonly attributed to genuine powder. This seems like the move of a single sociopath who wanted to disable as many people as they could. I am furious, I hope they catch whoever did this and hang him from the the Tobin.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    The two theories I've heard regarding the timing are

1. It was too difficult for the carrier to reach the the finish line area due to crowding during the time the winners crossed.

2. The time in which the bomb was set off is the average finish time for most racers. So, in theory by detonating at that time, there was the greatest potential to inflict harm on not only spectators, but those competing as well.

But who the hell knows, that's all just speculation from crime "experts." Only the monster that's responsible knows. Hopefully we have that answer soon. I find it inconceivable that the crime could go unsolved given the massive amount of personal cameras being used in the area, TV crews and surveillance cameras from local businesses.

Number 2 is correct. This is exactly the timing he wanted. It looks looks like gunpowder with some incendiary also. Look at people's hair. It is burn in the pics along with the fireball.
    Live, Ski or Die Trying!!!
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Also for the time Fenway was letting out after the very early Sox game, when many fans walk over to see the finish of the marathon (according to an NPR commentator this afternoon).
    If it's snowin' I'm goin'

Just read that the Westboro Baptist Church is planning to picket funerals of the victims. What is wrong with these people? Bostonians will not stand for that.

I thought the timing was kind of random, except that both went off so close together. The max people finishing scenario makes sense, adn is also pretty darn diabolical.

Westboro Baptist. WWJD? Probably not that...
    "The trouble with internet quotations is that they're often impossible to verify."
    -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Bene288 View Post
    Just read that the Westboro Baptist Church is planning to picket funerals of the victims. What is wrong with these people? Bostonians will not stand for that.
    They have the right to protest loudly..
    But we have a right to protest LOUDER!!!

Thread Information