• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush 4/14

Angus

skied yesterday (sunday) and upper half of mountain probably accumulated 4-5" over course of day.

needed the snow to make things fun on steeper, upper portions of mountain b/c bumps were moderately frozen (not sure if that's scientifically possible) but hard and not particularly edgeable.

runs of day were murphy's glade, organgrinder top to domino middle/lower, and ripcord.

crazy day - snow, rain, sleet up 89 including appearances of two rainbows...pulled into parking lot with good sun and then heavy snow especially in PM. best spring days so far - march 9 and 10 at stowe and sugarbush...go figure.

they have a ton of snow. sugarbush easily gets to first week of may barring no major warmup...I was noticing the coffee run trail which is one of the options to base lift area has 5' of snow built up.

steamboat1

I've said it before. If Sugarbush blew Steins like Killington blows Superstar they could easily stay open just as long as K. Probably longer because Stein's has better exposure. Just run the Valley House chair for access. Coffee Run is just a run out over to the chair that holds snow well also.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
I was there also. Crazy weather day for sure. ROD for me was The Mall. Crazy good bumps and no one skiing them.

Angus

never got any further than Murphys - don't know the mountain and the guy who leads me around usually - my son - wasn't with me!

I looked up Steins and it looked like they had groomed out all the bumps so I didn't think to go down the traverse any further.

We had a great time skiing Sunrise in March, big soft bumps but yesterday, I skied a couple of runs and the snow wasn't good on that lift and they had groomed everything out

I've been to sugarbush less than half dozen times but always enjoy - usually a day at MRG, Stowe or Bolton and then sugarbush.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I've said it before. If Sugarbush blew Steins like Killington blows Superstar they could easily stay open just as long as K. Probably longer because Stein's has better exposure. Just run the Valley House chair for access. Coffee Run is just a run out over to the chair that holds snow well also.
I've skied Steins late season three times now. Never seems to have good bumps. I'd rank it very low on my list of favorite spring bump runs. Maybe I just caught it bad three different years. Not just conditions either, I am talking lines. I can see quality lines even if the snow sucks. Seems like the top may be too steep so bad skiers and riders don't help setup good lines. Just my observation. Mall always seems to have good bumps but doesn't get the man made. It is what it is, I'd rather ski FIS and I know many here would agree but that ship has sailed.

VT_Snowrider

The bumps on Steins will build up again soon. They groom it out maybe once a week or so in late spring, not too often which keeps the snow on the hill better. Last weekend FIS was completely groomed out for the last weekend at Ellen, locked down and bulletproof. Now that my season is over s a liftie at Bolton it's time to hike for some turns there. Still tons of snow top to bottom, and only 15 minutes from my couch :)