Okemo vs. Loon - pros and cons? - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    I can see the appeal of people suggesting Loon over Okemo regarding better advanced skiing terrain; perhaps even terrain overall depending on preferences. When pointing out other skiing options nearby though, Okemo wins easily. Magic and Killington/Pico are both within 30 minutes; Stratton and Bromley 45. Cannon is a great close alternative, Bretton Woods and Burke have their merits, but there's a heckuva a lot more skiing close by Okemo as well as more snow than there is in the Northern Whites and on up to Burke.

A good point was also made concerning water sports in the summer time. I spent a lot of time boating on Lake Rescue and Echo Lake as a kid in the summer months and canoeing on Lake Amherst, Pauline and Woodward Reservoir. If you're a golfer, Okemo's course is top notch as well.

Damn. Nice sales pitch, Okemo.

-Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

perhaps it is just me and my "day tripper" mentality but location as it relates to other nearby mountains seems like it would be low on the list of priorities. i'd assume (perhaps incorrectly) that a 2nd home near a mountain = season passes for the family (unless you are looking for limited use and renting out the place frequently). visiting other mountains means $$ out of pocket which i'd guess was not an advantage.
    shit happens, wear a helmet.

2018/19
    Breck - 12/2 12/22 12/23 1/5 1/6 2/9 3/10
    Taos - 1/26
    Keystone - 2/24
    Crested Butte - 3/25 3/26 3/27

Quote Originally Posted by riverc0il View Post
    Damn. Nice sales pitch, Okemo.
    Yeah, really! Family...family...Muellers...Where's the mountain!?!?
    2019-2020 0 days and holding...
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Guys take it easy. Its not unheard of for an employee of a ski area to sing the merits of their mountains. We've seen it from many different ski areas and quite frankly we welcome industry participation in the forums. No need to get nasty about it. Don't like it, then ignore it.....or take it as an opportunity to present constructive criticism about where you think they can improve their product.

I wasn't worked up before, just rolling my eyes a bit and giving a gentle ribbing where it was deserved. But NOW I am going to get worked up...

With endorsements like that, it won't be long before any thread mentioning a particular mountain has an industry insider extolling the virtues of why their mountain is better than the competition. Why go to the BEWI Ski & Snowboard Expo in Boston when you can come to AlpineZone and get the same sales pitch.

You don't think that post from Okemo was a little over the top? They haven't even requested an official Industry Insider badge. I don't think I've ever seen any mountain rep delivery a sales pitch post quite that over the top. Personal feelings aside, from a business perspective, that is a textbook case of what NOT to do with social media.
    -Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

welcome Mr. Okemo, your input is appreciated here.
    shit happens, wear a helmet.

2018/19
    Breck - 12/2 12/22 12/23 1/5 1/6 2/9 3/10
    Taos - 1/26
    Keystone - 2/24
    Crested Butte - 3/25 3/26 3/27

Not as over the top as your NOW worked up response, that's for sure.

Maybe you choose to ignore it because you like other mountains better but reps from other mountains fluff their mountain plenty on here. Perhaps not in such a lengthy post but they do it.

If you think its bad business and poor form for social media, well you've got their email now. Maybe send them some tips.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcunni View Post
    perhaps it is just me and my "day tripper" mentality but location as it relates to other nearby mountains seems like it would be low on the list of priorities. i'd assume (perhaps incorrectly) that a 2nd home near a mountain = season passes for the family (unless you are looking for limited use and renting out the place frequently). visiting other mountains means $$ out of pocket which i'd guess was not an advantage.
    You are correct. I am a season pass holder at Sugarbush and with kids involved in the weekend programs it limits both interest and ability to go to other mountains especially when you have to drop big $$ for day tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by riverc0il View Post
    I wasn't worked up before, just rolling my eyes a bit and giving a gentle ribbing where it was deserved. But NOW I am going to get worked up...

With endorsements like that, it won't be long before any thread mentioning a particular mountain has an industry insider extolling the virtues of why their mountain is better than the competition. Why go to the BEWI Ski & Snowboard Expo in Boston when you can come to AlpineZone and get the same sales pitch.

You don't think that post from Okemo was a little over the top? They haven't even requested an official Industry Insider badge. I don't think I've ever seen any mountain rep delivery a sales pitch post quite that over the top. Personal feelings aside, from a business perspective, that is a textbook case of what NOT to do with social media.
    That wasn't a sales pitch. It was PICK OKEMO in caps and then a rambling about families. OK, I'll stop with the insults now. It is great to have another mountain on the Alpine Zone Forums. Welcome Okemo.
    2019-2020 0 days and holding...
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Thread Information