• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Okemo vs. Loon - pros and cons?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I can see the appeal of people suggesting Loon over Okemo regarding better advanced skiing terrain; perhaps even terrain overall depending on preferences. When pointing out other skiing options nearby though, Okemo wins easily. Magic and Killington/Pico are both within 30 minutes; Stratton and Bromley 45. Cannon is a great close alternative, Bretton Woods and Burke have their merits, but there's a heckuva a lot more skiing close by Okemo as well as more snow than there is in the Northern Whites and on up to Burke.

A good point was also made concerning water sports in the summer time. I spent a lot of time boating on Lake Rescue and Echo Lake as a kid in the summer months and canoeing on Lake Amherst, Pauline and Woodward Reservoir. If you're a golfer, Okemo's course is top notch as well.

gmcunni

perhaps it is just me and my "day tripper" mentality but location as it relates to other nearby mountains seems like it would be low on the list of priorities. i'd assume (perhaps incorrectly) that a 2nd home near a mountain = season passes for the family (unless you are looking for limited use and renting out the place frequently). visiting other mountains means $$ out of pocket which i'd guess was not an advantage.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Guys take it easy. Its not unheard of for an employee of a ski area to sing the merits of their mountains. We've seen it from many different ski areas and quite frankly we welcome industry participation in the forums. No need to get nasty about it. Don't like it, then ignore it.....or take it as an opportunity to present constructive criticism about where you think they can improve their product.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I wasn't worked up before, just rolling my eyes a bit and giving a gentle ribbing where it was deserved. But NOW I am going to get worked up...

With endorsements like that, it won't be long before any thread mentioning a particular mountain has an industry insider extolling the virtues of why their mountain is better than the competition. Why go to the BEWI Ski & Snowboard Expo in Boston when you can come to AlpineZone and get the same sales pitch.

You don't think that post from Okemo was a little over the top? They haven't even requested an official Industry Insider badge. I don't think I've ever seen any mountain rep delivery a sales pitch post quite that over the top. Personal feelings aside, from a business perspective, that is a textbook case of what NOT to do with social media.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Not as over the top as your NOW worked up response, that's for sure. :lol:

Maybe you choose to ignore it because you like other mountains better but reps from other mountains fluff their mountain plenty on here. Perhaps not in such a lengthy post but they do it.

If you think its bad business and poor form for social media, well you've got their email now. Maybe send them some tips. ;)

WWF-VT

perhaps it is just me and my "day tripper" mentality but location as it relates to other nearby mountains seems like it would be low on the list of priorities. i'd assume (perhaps incorrectly) that a 2nd home near a mountain = season passes for the family (unless you are looking for limited use and renting out the place frequently). visiting other mountains means $$ out of pocket which i'd guess was not an advantage.

You are correct. I am a season pass holder at Sugarbush and with kids involved in the weekend programs it limits both interest and ability to go to other mountains especially when you have to drop big $$ for day tickets.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I wasn't worked up before, just rolling my eyes a bit and giving a gentle ribbing where it was deserved. But NOW I am going to get worked up...

With endorsements like that, it won't be long before any thread mentioning a particular mountain has an industry insider extolling the virtues of why their mountain is better than the competition. Why go to the BEWI Ski & Snowboard Expo in Boston when you can come to AlpineZone and get the same sales pitch.

You don't think that post from Okemo was a little over the top? They haven't even requested an official Industry Insider badge. I don't think I've ever seen any mountain rep delivery a sales pitch post quite that over the top. Personal feelings aside, from a business perspective, that is a textbook case of what NOT to do with social media.

That wasn't a sales pitch. It was PICK OKEMO in caps and then a rambling about families. OK, I'll stop with the insults now. It is great to have another mountain on the Alpine Zone Forums. Welcome Okemo.

snoseek

If you're going to make this big investment I would maybe consider being more flexible on either drive time or being slopeside. I would imagine both areas would get pretty old after a certain amount of time and thats not dissing either mountain, just saying that the next several years might be spent at more of a skiers mountain or area.

Between the two I would reluctantly pick Lincoln myself just because of close access to all the goodness the whites have to offer in the other seasons...plus overall I think Loon has better diversity.

I would think a place like Burke would be fun...plus you can hit Jay with that pass. Good mtb riding up there, buy some bikes with the money you'll likely save and ride KT all summer.

steamboat1

Hey New Daddy,
PICK OKEMO! We would love to have you and your family join our family. Tim and Diane Mueller have been operating Okemo Mountain Resort for 30 years. They raised their two children here and they know what families are looking for in a home mountain. There's a certain something about Okemo that sets it apart from other mountains. When you make this your home mountain, you become part of something bigger than yourself. It's not a mountain or a community that people outgrow; it's the kind of place where traditions are formed and celebrated for generations. It's the kind of place you'll still want to visit as you grow older. It's the place where you'll enjoy skiing and riding with your grandchildren some day.

double_facepalm.png

stomachdoc

Second home. Until the kids refuse to ski with their parents.

We've owned property at Waterville for about 10 years. We transitioned from being seasonal(winter) renters to owners and one of my questions was what--if anything--would we do with the property in the summer? We actually used the house as much in the summer as we did in the winter--the White Mountains are fantastic in the summer. If there is truly no summer season in Ludlow/environs then I would consider Loon seriously. If you are looking to purchase property, you're gonna be paying a mortgage all year, so look for a property you can use all year (well, OK, not mud season) Plus, you might decide to rent out your property in the summer--easier to do if there is stuff going on.

OkemoMountain

Harshness! Please pardon my passion for Okemo (yes, I am a resort representative and didn't realize I needed some identifying badge - I'm new here). I certainly didn't mean to create such a stir. And I'm sorry if anyone mistook my heartfelt enthusiasm for a two-by-four-between-the-eyes sales pitch.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Harshness! Please pardon my passion for Okemo (yes, I am a resort representative and didn't realize I needed some identifying badge - I'm new here). I certainly didn't mean to create such a stir. And I'm sorry if anyone mistook my heartfelt enthusiasm for a two-by-four-between-the-eyes sales pitch.

Nick, hook him up!

o3jeff

I would do a rental at the areas or spend more time at them to make sure they fit your needs before you invest in a property.

bobbutts

I would do a rental at the areas or spend more time at them to make sure they fit your needs before you invest in a property.
That is a really good point. After a season of renting they are likely to have a better idea if they want to commit to multiple years at that resort. Also they should know the local area better which may help in the search for condo to purchase.

Savemeasammy

I'm going out on a limb here and assume your child/children are/is pretty young... ;) Lets be real, kids would love either of these mountains! When I was a kid I skied at Whaleback and was perfectly happy - Okemo or Loon would have been that much better... If I had this particular "problem", I would choose Loon. It's an hour closer, and that's a big deal. However, I think more importantly if you will use this place in the summer, the white mountains have more stuff to do with a young family. We love to bring our 3 and 5 year olds to Santa's Village and Story Land - and there are a ton of other options within striking distance. Also, if you intend to rent it out at all, Lincoln is an attractive destination year round.

2knees

Guys take it easy. Its not unheard of for an employee of a ski area to sing the merits of their mountains. We've seen it from many different ski areas and quite frankly we welcome industry participation in the forums. No need to get nasty about it. Don't like it, then ignore it.....or take it as an opportunity to present constructive criticism about where you think they can improve their product.

Agreed. And I would like to add that what he/she said is nothing to get worked up over. The badass hardcores in here ain't lookin for what that post is selling anyway. :razz:

2knees

I'm going out on a limb here and assume your child/children are/is pretty young... ;) Lets be real, kids would love either of these mountains! When I was a kid I skied at Whaleback and was perfectly happy - Okemo or Loon would have been that much better... If I had this particular "problem", I would choose Loon. It's an hour closer, and that's a big deal. However, I think more importantly if you will use this place in the summer, the white mountains have more stuff to do with a young family. We love to bring our 3 and 5 year olds to Santa's Village and Story Land - and there are a ton of other options within striking distance. Also, if you intend to rent it out at all, Lincoln is an attractive destination year round.

Story land and santas village are awesome for that age