• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Salt Lake City Area - Dec 2006

koreshot

A couple of non-AZ buddies and I went out there for 5 days and tried to visit as many resorts as possible. Resorts Visited:
Alta
Snowbird
Brighton
Solitude

Day one Dec 13 - Alta:
Nice mountain, decent snow coverage but I wasn't quite as impressed as I thought I would be by the resort. Some of the more challenging terrain was not open though. Don't get me wrong, there were dozens of runs and cliffs that would easily kill most mortal skiers, but I just wansn't feeling the love at Alta. I will wait to pass final judgement until I have had a chance to ski the entire hill with a local guiding me.

Here is a picture of me standing at the top of a steep-ish tree. You can see the runout from the Catherine area in the background. Catherine was cool.
2461922740034844948EdPfUH_ph.jpg

Me doing my best Magnum:
DSCN0795.JPG

Day two Dec 14 - Brighton:
I really liked this place. Yes there are a lot of boarders there but everyone seemed really friendly and cool to us skiers. We spent most of the day playing in the Snake Creek area because the weather was really warm (38 degrees at the bottom). Snake Creek lift allowed us to do some laps higher up without having to ski too much below 9000 feet where the snow was turning mushy and sticky quick. Brighton rocks, the trees in the Snake Creek area are great, snow preservation was superb and the pillows all over the place added an element of fun I have never experienced. I tried to go off of as many as I could as the landing was always soft and fluffy. Small but fun mountain with good snow and a lift system that is well suited for lapping steep trees all day long.

Here is the soft snow and the pillows I was talking about. A couple of days after the snow storm, lines right off of the lift remained barely tracked:
2588364220034844948KaCxSD_ph.jpg

Me standing at the top of a steep little line, the Bros hungry for the powder. As you will see in the video at the bottom, the pretty pow was covering some nasty rocks which threw me and I narrowly missed hugging a tree.
2229624860034844948lxxlHT_ph.jpg

Day three Dec 15 - Snowbird:
Amazing terrain, so many sick lines, got to practice my straighlining and starfishing skills a bit. Worst snow of the bunch due to less tree cover (at least where I was skiing) and more sun. With a big dump, this resort is probably absolute heaven. Solid vertical too. Sorry, no pictures here.

Day four & five Dec 16 & 17 - Solitude:
WOW. I mean really really wow. I love this place. It snowed 2 feet in the two days we were there, but wind had blown the trees and some bowls in another 3 it seemed. Skied a good part of the day in waist deep snow, face shots all day long. This place is empty and even around 3pm after a snow storm i was getting long vertical runs of untracked snow. Amazing. The Bros were sinking on me all day long and not because they don't float. Two days in a row of the best snow I have ever skied. The only negative thing I can say about this resort is that it takes a lot more work to get to the fresh snow and get the steep vertical. This is fine by me, cause it helps snow preservation.

This is how much snow there was:
DSCN0804.JPG

Last day of the trip, my buddy went back to return his snowboard gear, including his boots. Once the gear was returned we hear "Oh, crap! I don't have my shoes and its snowing outside!" ..... Problem solved:
DSCN0807.JPG

Here is a little Video of the skiing we had. Sorry, the quality is pretty bad, I suck at video editing and the recording was made with a crappy little digital camera.

http://sports.webshots.com/video/3011779080062927787

Grassi21

Good stuff man. I don't know if the man-made we skied on Friday at Hunter was as good as the conditions you had. ;-) Sounds like you guys had a great trip. I loved the part of the vid when the boarder tried to knock one of you guys down and then took a tumble himself.

RISkier

In the last pic, you're friend looks like the monster from the black lagoon, or something of that ilk.

koreshot

Good stuff man. I don't know if the man-made we skied on Friday at Hunter was as good as the conditions you had. ;-) Sounds like you guys had a great trip. I loved the part of the vid when the boarder tried to knock one of you guys down and then took a tumble himself.

The guy he tried to knock down was me. He paid for it when we wouldn't stop by the hotel to grab his shoes and forced him to wear gloves on his feet :)

Grassi21

The guy he tried to knock down was me. He paid for it when we wouldn't stop by the hotel to grab his shoes and forced him to wear gloves on his feet :)

Way to stand strong. Those boarders can be a handful.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Solitude is a blast, out of the 5 days we were there this past March, 3 were spent in Solitude. They just got more snow then the others while we were there. I had the same thoughts about Alta, expected more. And thought Snowbird was really nice and challanging. Unfortunetly only got to check Snowbird out one day. I'll be back up there this coming February, will check out those three again as well as Snowbasin. I hear nothing but good things about Snowbasin and may also try for Powder mountain.

Was Honeycomb Canyon at Solitude open while you were out there?

koreshot

Solitude is a blast, out of the 5 days we were there this past March, 3 were spent in Solitude. They just got more snow then the others while we were there. I had the same thoughts about Alta, expected more. And thought Snowbird was really nice and challanging. Unfortunetly only got to check Snowbird out one day. I'll be back up there this coming February, will check out those three again as well as Snowbasin. I hear nothing but good things about Snowbasin and may also try for Powder mountain.

Was Honeycomb Canyon at Solitude open while you were out there?

Snowbird is definitely huge and has superior terrain, but I think I am partial to smaller, chiller resorts. Snowbird just felt rushed and busy. There was way more skier traffic at the Bird on Friday with no new snow than there was in Solitude on a Saturday after 2 feet of new snow. Go figure. I have also heard great things about Snowbasin and Pow Mtn, unfortunately, their terrain was limited when I was there due to lack of snow and very warm weather. Their lower elevation also made the snow worse I think.

Honeycomb was closed most of Saturday, and they finally opened the West side (the side with all the trees, I think that is West) on Sunday. That is where I had my waist deep runs in the afternoon. Unfortunately, I was doing those runs by myself so I have no video or pictures of the goodness. It was quite amazing though.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Snowbird is definitely huge and has superior terrain, but I think I am partial to smaller, chiller resorts. Snowbird just felt rushed and busy. There was way more skier traffic at the Bird on Friday with no new snow than there was in Solitude on a Saturday after 2 feet of new snow. Go figure. I have also heard great things about Snowbasin and Pow Mtn, unfortunately, their terrain was limited when I was there due to lack of snow and very warm weather. Their lower elevation also made the snow worse I think.

Honeycomb was closed most of Saturday, and they finally opened the West side (the side with all the trees, I think that is West) on Sunday. That is where I had my waist deep runs in the afternoon. Unfortunately, I was doing those runs by myself so I have no video or pictures of the goodness. It was quite amazing though.

Had a great time in those trees, also waist deep when I was there. Also made sure to avoid Snowbird and Alta on a weekend and hit Solitude instead. The problem with that was, planned on hitting Snowbird on Monday and Tuesday, but Solitude just got so much more snow. There was no choice but to go to Solitude. Can't wait for February to get here :)

zook

Brighton is a really nice place. We had our skiing course over there last year and it was great. Also, you can upgrade your day lift ticket to night skiing for only $5. I haven't been to Solitude yet, we are planning to hit it in March, together with Snowbasin and few other resorts. Just a few more months.... :)

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip

2knees

nice report. makes me insanely jealous even if i have no powder skills.

Do you ski the bros on regular east coast "crap" also?

koreshot

Yes, I will probably be using the Bros everywhere.

The Bros are very versatile for their size. They are pretty floaty... if you watched the video, in the second segment, I am hopping a little 5 footer into waist deep snow and they didn't dive at all. Yet they are very snappy and light feeling in tracked out snow and hard snow. My first day on them was in early december in K-mart and they were respectable on hard EC snow. They don't like to carve anything other than SuperG turns, but if you are willing to make the tails skid a bit, they will make any shape turn if you work them into it.
Straight line stability in any kind of snow is superb.

2knees

want to watch the video but webshots is blocked at work for me. I'll try it at home but havent had luck watching vids on my pc lately. maybe santa wife will bring me a new one for xmas. or better yet, a pair of bros.

nice pics though, looks like you guys hit it right.

roark

koreshot did just fine on em on the bumps on lower east fall & highline @ K. Kicked my butt in fact.

2knees

video worked for me. nicely done. No sink at all in those bros and some damn fine skiing on your part. well played.

koreshot

video worked for me. nicely done. No sink at all in those bros and some damn fine skiing on your part. well played.

Thx. I think the only time i felt there was some sink in them is when I was skiing the waist deep really light Utah pow. The reason for this is most likely the sick camber, my weigt and lack of pow skills. But how often do I ski waist deep utah pow? Maybe at some point I will buy a separate pair for those rare once a year powder days.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Thx. I think the only time i felt there was some sink in them is when I was skiing the waist deep really light Utah pow. The reason for this is most likely the sick camber, my weigt and lack of pow skills. But how often do I ski waist deep utah pow? Maybe at some point I will buy a separate pair for those rare once a year powder days.

Damn, how'd I miss this one!?

Looks like the trip was awesome, I really need to get out there. Thinking about a SLC trip later in March... we'll see.