• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Magazines list of Spring Skiing Where to ski!

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com

You're right, Mont St-Sauveur is missing. :popcorn:

Notice the list wasn't US only, so they have been a last to close in the East... or next to last in the last few season. Until the other big name missing has it name back on the list, it need to start going what was taken granted for so long...that is have the longest season in the East, no question. It hasn't been the case in years until now.

Quote from my blog last year:

May is the norm for Quebec’s “Longest Season” ski area. After a similar bad late season ski weather, MSS out missed out on May in 2006 due a bad late season for many ski areas, MSS has made it to May for the last 6 years.Previous closing dates versus the best of the rest
2006: April 30 (3rd) – Bretton Woods May 5 (1st) & Killington May 1 (2nd)
2007: May 6 (best) – tied: Sugarbush, Wildcat & Killington.
2008: May 11 (best) – Sugarloaf May 5 (2nd)
2009*: May 3 (best?) – Sugarloaf May 4?? (best?), tied- Sugarbush & Jay Peak: May 3
2010*: May 2 (best?) – Sugarloaf May 3?? (best?), tied- Jay Peak: May 2
2011: May 22 (best) – Jay Peak: May 15 (2nd), Sugarloaf: May 9 (3rd)
2012: May 6 (best) – Jay Peak : April 29 (2nd), Killington April 22 (3rd)

* – Sugarloaf probably closed on the Monday
Oh yeah, MSS’s season is at least a full two weeks longer than Killington. If you think back 15-25 years, when MSS was starting to mark a name for itself as the longest season in Quebec, no one would have thought that they would replace the mighty Killington.

Jay and Sugarloaf have been way more consistent into making to it to May than Killington. The once mighty K only squeeze May (1 or 2) twice in the last 5 seasons. Finally, it looks like its changing this year, until then, they don't merit their name on that list.

Sources:
Mont St-Sauveur saves the ‘May’ and is last to spin again – Eastern Closing Thread Part 10

http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2012...-to-spin-again-eastern-closing-thread-part-9/

October turns at Killington are back…for its pass and card holders only!!!

http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2012...-are-back-for-its-pass-and-card-holders-only/

gmcunni

does all the the blog pimping you do drive traffic your way? in all honesty it kind of rubs me the wrong way and i now avoid clicking your links. i'm not trying to be rude, just giving you some feedback.

drjeff

I'm pretty sure K still holds the record for latest season in the east (June 22).

1997! I remember as I got married that June. I skied K on June 3rd, married on the 7th, left for my honeymoon in Hawaii on the 9th, flew back into Boston on the 21st, and saw that K was still open! Impressive!

Gilligan

does all the the blog pimping you do drive traffic your way? in all honesty it kind of rubs me the wrong way and i now avoid clicking your links. i'm not trying to be rude, just giving you some feedback.

Why so rude, G? At least he is trying to add something of value around here.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
I'm pretty sure K still holds the record for latest season in the east (June 22).

1997...I skied on the previous weekend, June 15.

I prefer putting links up with the source (regardless if it's my blog or another source). I don't like getting pages of long list in a forum thread (if we talking about who's open or not), however if they're interested, they can see further. To each, his own, that is my preference after over ten years of read and writing on various forums.

I joined Alpine Zone when someone I didn't know (except the alias which I had seen elsewhere) linked up to my blog and people started commenting on the subject. Just trying to add context. You are more than free not to click. I have over 300 posts on my blog, an extreme small number are ever linked up on any ski forum and I always do it when I know there is an interest from people and can contribute to the discussion.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I bet that K will be in that list next season if they live up to what has been advertised. It was a rough season last year for many.

steamboat1

Yes I remember seeing your report with pictures. Appreciate your reporting & blogs...:thumbup:

Latest I've ever skied is May 17 at K. Don't remember what year that was. Won't be doing it this year because I can't ski due to injury. It was nice getting up there again this weekend even though I couldn't ski.

steamboat1

I bet that K will be in that list next season if they live up to what has been advertised. It was a rough season last year for many.

K still came in 3rd place in the east last year with an April 22 closing. Probably could have gone another week at least but the SS head wall melted out. This never kept them from closing before & it was only melted at the tippy top, not the whole head wall. There was still plenty of snow on the rest of the trail. I was there so I know.

Last edited:

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Yes I remember seeing your report with pictures. Appreciate your reporting & blogs...:thumbup:

Thanks!!!

That was the Killington, June 11, 1992 TR. I'll write something up for that day one day. I have a few pictures, but not many from that day.

I remember my wife was driven and drove over a piece of metal and we got a flat on the last curve prior to Route 4(?) next to the access road. The day was shorter and wife went to Rutland to buy a new tire (she wasn't going to ski, she was 5 months pregnant). Not going to drive Kmart to Ottawa (310 miles on a spare). She has skied and taken it easy on June 1 - yes, my daughter is a skier.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
K still came in 3rd place in the east last year with an April 22 closing. Probably could have gone another week at least but the SS head wall melted out. This never kept them from closing before & it was only melted at the tippy top, not the whole head wall. There was still plenty of snow on the rest of the trail. I was there so I know.

K was 3rd last year, but weren't in the previous 3 years.

I gave kudos in one of my Closing Thread Posts to Killington last year, everyone serious late season areas lost 3 weeks due to the meltdown. I remember June 1, 1993...most of the flats in mid SS was gone, no snow. You skied the headwall, walk, skied top of the flats, walk a longer distance then skied the bottom part. Oh yeah, it wasn't raining like the previous June 1 in 1992, it was sunny and cold. I remember skiing with a jacket on, which was ironic for June.

steamboat1

Skied last year April 20-21 with just a t shirt on & was still sweating. Beautiful 2 days with blue skies & sunshine, temps in the 70's. SS wasn't the only trail still open. Upper & lower Skyelark were still open as well as lower Bitter Sweet. Didn't ski the last day because temps were in the 30's with rain so I decided to end my season on a high note.

The May 17 day I skied was pretty much the same as your June date. Had to carry my ski's on the chair, the top of the head wall was washed out but you only had to climb down a couple of steps to the snow. The middle flats were still skiable but it was only one thin sliver of snow in one spot. The top of the bottom steep was washed out & you had to take off your ski's again & walk down a bit then ski to the bottom. Last year there was much more snow than that day but they closed anyway & you could still ski on & off the chair.

Last edited:

Riverskier

I prefer putting links up with the source (regardless if it's my blog or another source). I don't like getting pages of long list in a forum thread (if we talking about who's open or not), however if they're interested, they can see further. To each, his own, that is my preference after over ten years of read and writing on various forums.

I joined Alpine Zone when someone I didn't know (except the alias which I had seen elsewhere) linked up to my blog and people started commenting on the subject. Just trying to add context. You are more than free not to click. I have over 300 posts on my blog, an extreme small number are ever linked up on any ski forum and I always do it when I know there is an interest from people and can contribute to the discussion.

I enjoy your contributions to this site.