• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush

abc

I'm bagging it.

One of the big motivation for my driving up there is no more. The sun had done the demage. What it took from the slope now ended up in the river. There's not as much snow on the slopes as I'd like, and way too much water in the river for a safe run, for me to make the long drive.

Enjoy!

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
GS bumps: very true. In my years skiing Stein's, this was what it usually had. I'm kind of surprised that they did not leave a few nice lines on one side.

With all the traffic, they have to groom at least some of it. It's too bad that they can't keep enough snow on Spring Fling anymore; in 2008 and 2009 or so they would have Stein's and Spring Fling available for the last weekend and it was nice to have two routes...one less bumped up than the other.

Another reason Steins works well is it mostly faces north as does Spring Fling. The issue with Spring Fling is getting to it via Snowball which faces east. This time of year if there is snow on Snowball it it quickly becomes heavy mash potatoes, not a pleasant experience for most.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Another reason Steins works well is it mostly faces north as does Spring Fling. The issue with Spring Fling is getting to it via Snowball which faces east. This time of year if there is snow on Snowball it it quickly becomes heavy mash potatoes, not a pleasant experience for most.

Yes of course. But they did use Snowball/Spring Fling in the past as you know as another route and yes it did generally suck because of said exposure. Mount Ellen on the other hand....

steamboat1

It's a real shame they don't use Mt. Ellen anymore for late season skiing. I can remember many days where I'd ski Lincoln in the morning until it turned to mash potato's then head over to Mt. Ellen & it would still be mid-winter conditions. I do understand the reason they moved late season operations over to Lincoln but that doesn't mean I like it.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It's a real shame they don't use Mt. Ellen anymore for late season skiing. I can remember many days where I'd ski Lincoln in the morning until it turned to mash potato's then head over to Mt. Ellen & it would still be mid-winter conditions. I do understand the reason they moved late season operations over to Lincoln but that doesn't mean I like it.

+ 100.

HowieT2

agreed. The summit at mount ellen, I would think is still in good shape. and with the glen ellen lodge with the deck facing west, it is an ideal spring setup. ripcord and OG at lincoln are probably still skiable, the issue is getting to heavens gate. it would be terrific if that were to open tomorrow.

As for the mall v. steins, I always thought that steins suffers somewhat from the huge amounts of snow they blow on it for spring skiing. huge whales are created interfering with bump lines setting up. the mall doesnt get the man made nor does it get groomed. It also sees a fraction of the gaper traffic and is more shaded.

steamboat1

agreed. The summit at mount ellen, I would think is still in good shape. and with the glen ellen lodge with the deck facing west, it is an ideal spring setup. ripcord and OG at lincoln are probably still skiable, the issue is getting to heavens gate.

Agree about the setup at Mt. Ellen. The outside deck at the base combined with the bar makes an ideal place to catch the sun after skiing or at lunch. Much better than hanging out in the dungeon they call the Castle Rock Pub. As for Mt. Ellen still being in good shape I doubt it. They don't blow much snow over there anymore. Skied there last year a couple of days before they closed it & they had to close the summit chair for a 1/2 hour or so to allow ski patrol to put snow on the trail off the summit. They were filling toboggans with snow from the woods & dumping it on the trail otherwise it would have been unskiable. FIS, Exterminator, & Elbow were already closed. The only thing open was under the lower section of the summit chair & the trail to the outside of that & they were on there last leg. You had to carry your skis on the Green Mtn Exp up & down, only skiing was off the Summit Quad. This was on the Fri. before they closed. I have no idea how they kept it open for the weekend. They also closed Snowball & Spring Fling at Lincoln that Fri. leaving only Steins open for the weekend.

HowieT2

Agree about the setup at Mt. Ellen. The outside deck at the base combined with the bar makes an ideal place to catch the sun after skiing or at lunch. Much better than hanging out in the dungeon they call the Castle Rock Pub. As for Mt. Ellen still being in good shape I doubt it. They don't blow much snow over there anymore. Skied there last year a couple of days before they closed it & they had to close the summit chair for a 1/2 hour or so to allow ski patrol to put snow on the trail off the summit. They were filling toboggans with snow from the woods & dumping it on the trail otherwise it would have been unskiable. FIS, Exterminator, & Elbow were already closed. The only thing open was under the lower section of the summit chair & the trail to the outside of that & they were on there last leg. You had to carry your skis on the Green Mtn Exp up & down, only skiing was off the Summit Quad. This was on the Fri. before they closed. I have no idea how they kept it open for the weekend. They also closed Snowball & Spring Fling at Lincoln that Fri. leaving only Steins open for the weekend.

you might be right, I dont know, but last year was an anomalously low snow year. This season saw almost double the natural snow. and they did make snow on FIS and rim run

steamboat1

ripcord and OG at lincoln are probably still skiable, the issue is getting to heavens gate. it would be terrific if that were to open tomorrow.

Pictures of Steins, Ripcord & Organgrinder from this morning:

IMG_2187_zps18c6ac63.jpgIMG_2190_zpse8c2eaa2.jpg

From what I've heard Stowe is still in good shape top to bottom. Even the gondi trails still have plenty of snow. Spruce still has good coverage in the heavy snow making areas. No lift serviced skiing though.

Huck_It_Baby

Anyone know if SB ok with people hiking to other trails which might have cover this weekend?

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
There has been considerable snow loss since last weekend. From the top of Valley House, there is nothing left on Valley House Traverse and a good portion of Snowball is gone, and its all gone from the "rock garden" on down. No more pathway to far skier's right. Stein's still looks pretty good and so does 3/4 of Coffee Run. It does/will get real narrow just before where the Mall would merge in.

For those riding here this weekend, remember, you need a lift ticket, even though its free. Have fun and c ya there!

gostan

Steins last Sunday. Be careful out there today. Two years ago when Win opened up MT for free on last day there were too many yahoo's out there who did not belong on Steins or elsewhere. Take a few runs and a couple of beers for each run. Finish the season intact.

image.jpg

Plowboy

None publicized.

Only for VIP's and those willing to pay. It never took off I guess....too much money and the requirement that you had to have a group to book.
The Cabincat is down for major repairs, but you are correct. It was used a few times for promo, but 98 percent of the time it sat here at ME and never went up.

Savemeasammy

Just saw that Sugarbush decided not to open tomorrow... Bummer for anyone who didn't do today but planned on tomorrow!