• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Creative trail use fail

AdironRider

I did not say Corbet was not a big deal. I said it was not a 'fall and you die' run. I have not been to Jackson Hole but I'll take my friend's word that it's about as intimidating as any ski run they've ever seen. Correct me but I don't think Corbet is even rated as the toughest run in Jackson Hole. You need balls to drop in but it's relatively easy after it.

I suppose technically S&S (hard to count this as you have to check in and get permission from ski patrol) and some other off map named stuff could conceivably be "tougher", and its pretty subjective, but for on map runs Corbets is pretty tough to beat. That 15 footer looks mighty bigger in person, but I do agree, its more mental than physically challenging.

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Correct me but I don't think Corbet is even rated as the toughest run in Jackson Hole. You need balls to drop in but it's relatively easy after it.

While S&S is much bigger air than Corbets it has a safer landing zone. if you jump into Corbets and your still upright the danger actually begins. Most newbies land sideways so they are then headed for a solid rock wall. Some sit down at that point and slide down the rest of the couloir into a widening Tensleep Bowl. Personally can't argue with being safe. Turn left tho you hit a boulder field. Some do hit the wall right after they land and get hurt, some severly. So, once you land you have ways to go before it gets "relatively easy" especially if you comparing it to an expert trail at Mountain Creek. No disrespect intended. You must make a left turn to avoid the wall and continue turning to the bottom. Course, if you land and can stop to gain control, then it's not too bad. The first time is always the hardest.

Just doing it and landing is cause enough for celebration for many. Like you said taking that initial leap of faith is the hard part. I did it when there was a ton of new snow so IMHO not all that dangerous.

twinplanx

So who will be first to take there brand new jeep, wife & 6yr old for a test drive up/down Corbets?

Mapnut

Good thought, or just to keep the argument going, will AdironRider drive up, or down that slope at Mountain Creek to prove his contention that it's not dangerous? By the way, a fellow at Snowjournal says the tracks show he drove down the slope, leaving at least the possibility that he got onto it by accident.

MadMadWorld

Ok, you do realize you can die skiing green runs right. Or that the majority of ski related deaths occur on groomed intermediate runs. Nevermind, more than a few 5 year olds can, will, and do ski runs like Corbets. A good friend of mines kid just did it this year. Also, its probably more dangerous driving your kids to school (due to distracted other drivers you have zero control over) than in a controlled environment with arguably the best off road vehicle available on the market today. I suppose all children should just be put in buffer padded balls, never swim in the ocean (want to talk real danger), or do anything other than play video games and do homework. Screw living, hurry up and get on with it in the virtual world. Accidents can and do happen, doesn't make someone an idiot.

Your right accidents can happen anywhere any time but there are definitely ways to avoid or reduce the risks involved.

MadMadWorld

While S&S is much bigger air than Corbets it has a safer landing zone. if you jump into Corbets and your still upright the danger actually begins. Most newbies land sideways so they are then headed for a solid rock wall. Some sit down at that point and slide down the rest of the couloir into a widening Tensleep Bowl. Personally can't argue with being safe. Turn left tho you hit a boulder field. Some do hit the wall right after they land and get hurt, some severly. So, once you land you have ways to go before it gets "relatively easy" especially if you comparing it to an expert trail at Mountain Creek. No disrespect intended. You must make a left turn to avoid the wall and continue turning to the bottom. Course, if you land and can stop to gain control, then it's not too bad. The first time is always the hardest.

Just doing it and landing is cause enough for celebration for many. Like you said taking that initial leap of faith is the hard part. I did it when there was a ton of new snow so IMHO not all that dangerous.

If you man up and drop in from the other side then you don't really have to worry about eating rock. Yea it's a little more scarier but I rather drop from the other side and tomahawk into an open bowl then play pinball off the rocks. And S&S is significantly harder than Corbet's. I have no idea how you can make that argument....there is no half assing S&S. You can't slide into it like Corbet's. You have a massive drop into a very small and awkward landing zone. I have never personally skied S&S but was there when TGR was filming and watched from below.

Puck it

I like to offroad myself, and this is just part of the game. Doesn't make anyone an idiot. This is no different than someone calling you an idiot because you blew out your knee skiing, or worse, you take your child skiing and they get hurt.

You are an angry elf again today. I off road too, what we don't know is the incline of the slope.
Also, the Jeep looks to be stock in the pic.
and Threecy aka Rocket21 is making fun of you on Snowjournal.

Last edited:

x10003q

You are an angry elf again today. I off road too, what we don't know is the incline of the slope.

The steepest part of the Pipeline trail approach 30 degrees.

Puck it

The steepest part of the Pipeline trail approach 30 degrees.

Pretty steep for a stock vehicle. My inclinometer is the FJ only goes to 30 degrees. Any turn away from downhill is going to cause a roll and add rocks. You are asking for trouble, but the guy was not an idiot so says our resident off roader.

AdironRider

I don't get angry...I just find it laughable that offroading accidents = automatic retard, when the activity we all partake in is inherently more dangerous and much easier to sustain an injury. That's my only point. How many people do you know would consider you an idiot for blowing out a knee or sustaining a head injury while on the slopes? I know plenty and Im sure you do too, most likely the crowd that bitches when its snowing in the winter. And color me surprised Threecy thinks Im a tool.....

AdironRider

Pretty steep for a stock vehicle. My inclinometer is the FJ only goes to 30 degrees. Any turn away from downhill is going to cause a roll and add rocks. You are asking for trouble, but the guy was not an idiot so says our resident off roader.

You need to put that rig to use my man. I have the same vehicle, albeit slightly beefed up (winch, sliders, full recovery gear, etc but no lift) and have pushed way past 30 on the inclinometer down in Moab. That's is slickrock so I can go more extreme, but in this situation I don't think it was beyond the capabilities of the vehicle.

Puck it

You need to put that rig to use my man. I have the same vehicle, albeit slightly beefed up (winch, sliders, full recovery gear, etc but no lift) and have pushed way past 30 on the inclinometer down in Moab. That's is slickrock so I can go more extreme, but in this situation I don't think it was beyond the capabilities of the vehicle.

This is my second one. My son has my first now. I have recovery gear except for the winch along sliders and full skids and TRD suspension(no lift). I have pushed it vertical but not past 30 though, but not laterally. IMHO, I think he got it sideways and rolled it.
What color do you own? We have Ti Silver and Iceberg. I am thinking about the Cement Gray, my daughter wants my Iceberg.

JimG.

Staff member
"Off-roading on natural terrain is popular in Sussex County, but not allowed without the permission of the landowner. DEP spokesman Larry Ragonese said Jeeps and other motorized vehicles are not permitted in either state-owned parks or wildlife management areas."

And there you have it...never knew that.

This guy isn't very good at it.

AdironRider

This is my second one. My son has my first now. I have recovery gear except for the winch along sliders and full skids and TRD suspension(no lift). I have pushed it vertical but not past 30 though, but not laterally. IMHO, I think he got it sideways and rolled it.
What color do you own? We have Ti Silver and Iceberg. I am thinking about the Cement Gray, my daughter wants my Iceberg.

Mines a 2012 Ti Silver (I think, its definitely silver) with the black steelies and the offroad/convenience packages (love that backup camera). Ive been super impressed with the stock bilstein off road suspension, ATRAC, and the rear locker. I agree though, I suspect he got sideways trying to bail out or something and lost it.

Puck it

Mines a 2012 Ti Silver (I think, its definitely silver) with the black steelies and the offroad/convenience packages (love that backup camera). Ive been super impressed with the stock bilstein off road suspension, ATRAC, and the rear locker. I agree though, I suspect he got sideways trying to bail out or something and lost it.

2012 is fresco silver. I do not have a pick of mine on hand though. I just put some rear lights on the roof last week.