• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bike racks

bvibert

Staff member
Whatcha got?

I've been using roof racks for a while now. Aside from one incident I've been happy with them. I can see the appeal to hitch racks, but none of my cars have hitch receivers. I just don't think it's worth the extra expense to get setup with one.

I've used both Thule and Yakima cross bars/feet, but have always stuck with Thule bike carriers. I like the Big Mouth, but recently got a Side Arm. The Side Arm holds the bike more stable, but it's more of a pain to use, IMHO. That might be just because I'm used to the Big Mouth though. Some people don't like that the Big Mouth holds the bike directly on the frame, personally I don't give a shit.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I have a Thule as well that is fork mount.

I used to have a stand up rack but I actually lost a bike on the highway with that before. So I refuse to use those any longer.

bvibert

Staff member
I have a Thule as well that is fork mount.

I used to have a stand up rack but I actually lost a bike on the highway with that before. So I refuse to use those any longer.

Really?? What kind of rack??

I had a fork mount in the back of a pick-up for awhile, but I disliked having to always take the wheel off and put it back on.

Puck it

Thule Hitch Mount. I tried the Thule roof but what a pain in the ass especially on the FJ.

bvibert

Staff member
Thule Hitch Mount. I tried the Thule roof but what a pain in the ass especially on the FJ.

Tray style, or the kind the bikes hang from?

916xtr_main1_sized_618x408.jpg

9027_main_sized_618x408.jpg

I have a Blazer, anything much taller and the roof systems wouldn't be as convenient for me. I'm 6'4" though, so I could see them not working for everyone.

WoodCore

Thule T2 on the Subie. Love not having to lift the bike onto the roof or for that matter forget it's up there and drive into the garage!

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Like my skis, I try to put the bike inside the car with the seat folded down. When on family trips and need the seats, I have a Saris Bones trunk rack. I also have some Yakima lock jaw roof racks with the trays somewhere but haven't used them in at least 6 years.

MR. evil

I just ordered one of these yesterday. IMO it the best looking rack out there, and according to the 50 page thread over on MTBR it might be the best. Price is a little steep, but I am willing to pay more for American made goods.

https://www.1upusa.com/

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
A bit bulky so only use it for long trips, camping outings, etc....

main.php

Otherwise use Yakima King Joe:

yakima-kingjoe-pro-3-bike-rack-black-front.jpg

Good racks but in either case not to be used for Carbon frame bikes.

BackLoafRiver

Thule "Big Mouth" roof rack for the MTB. Road bike goes in the car. Even though you can swap the rubber adapter to accomodate skinny tires, I don't like the way the bike sits in there. Thinking of going to a hitch rack like the T2

MR. evil

The new rack from 1 UP USA came in today, I am really impressed with the design and build quality of this thing! I will post some pictures of it latter.

Bumpsis

A bit bulky so only use it for long trips, camping outings, etc....

main.php

Otherwise use Yakima King Joe:

View attachment 8884

Good racks but in either case not to be used for Carbon frame bikes.

The major issue that I have with these trunk/back of the car racks is that they tend to really scratch and even dent the bikes due to road bumps, unless you really manage to somehow keep the bikes from touching. I have a Thule rack that's secured by straps on the back of my car and has devices to hang three bikes - close to the one in the second picture. If I indeed load up three bikes on that rack, they will inevitably touch each other. The problem is compounded by the fact that the geometry of the frame mountain bikes is that of a squished triangle and these really don't fit well on these racks.

If I hang two road bikes, things are less problematic. I end up having two bikes on the roof rack (Thule as well) and two on the back rack if the whole family is going.

MR. evil

Some pics of the new 1up USA rack. Had to use the road bike for the pics as the MTB is in the shop

The up position
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1368571647.262410.jpg

Down position
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1368571684.824181.jpg

Close up
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1368571717.704078.jpg

Ready for the bike
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1368571756.818916.jpg

With bike
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1368571782.248267.jpg

MR. evil

Another close up