• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Worst Trail Maps

SIKSKIER

Gotta laugh at this one.I had to see if that Woodbury map was current and it certainly is.While on that page I see that at "Woodbury East"(haha) they have a magic carpet lift to the "SUMMIT"!
On a second look,that map shows all those numbers for trails and lifts and nothing to match them too.What?

Last edited:

slatham

Here's one for you - MAGIC. Ok, certainly not the worst, but IMHO it does not do the mountain any justice, especially from a size perspective (makes it look like a small area) or a steepness perspective. This is meant as constructive criticism - from a marketing perspective they should redo the trail map to better represent the attributes of the terrain. Not a top priority at this time given cost and other priority items, but something that should be considered as the mountain continues to improve and marketing becomes a higher priority.

deadheadskier

Staff member
That's a good point. Magic's trail map does indeed make it look like a small, flat mountain. I wonder how the trail map affects Magic attracting new clientele.

WoodCore

Ok,this place keeps getting weirder the more I look at it.The base lodge doesn't have any walls?

That's not the lodge! That's the owners house with a concert pavilion on the front porch.

ScottySkis

Bingo, Scotty! I was hoping someone would get the allusion.

I crack up everytime I remember that dialogue about Superman impregnating Lois Lane.

I love that and Clerks are definitely in my top favorite comedy movies of all time.:thumbup::):):)
I wish Kevin Smith directs more movies but I understand he busy man with family and beautiful actress wife.

Last edited:

steamboat1

Don't think it's the worst but I think it's the most read. I laugh at all the people who read the Killington trail map in the base lodge or on the lifts. Most of them have no idea where they are, where they're going or how they got there.

Smellytele

Don't think it's the worst but I think it's the most read. I laugh at all the people who read the Killington trail map in the base lodge or on the lifts. Most of them have no idea where they are, where they're going or how they got there.

Yes they can't be too bright if they are there anyway. :)

KevinF

I actually thought Squaw did a pretty good job with their trail map. Find a lift that services the type of terrain you're interested in (blue, black, etc). Go there. Go ski whatever you can find off that lift. Simple.

KevinF

As for bad trail maps... Copper Mountain in Colorado. I can not make sense of their upper mountain lifts by looking at their trail map.

Thankfully a friend of mine works there, and other friends ski there regularly, so whenever I ski Copper, I'm skiing with somebody who knows the place cold. Tour guides rule.

spiderpig

I have a basic grasp on K's layout from my one trip per season, so I do use the map to my advantage on the lift to plan which lift to take next and hit most of the trails from one lift before moving on. Reading it in the lodge and trying to make a plan is pretty much worthless for a non-regular, though.

canobie#1

Black Mountain NH sucks. It's all bunched together so it's impossible to understand.