Water Purification while hiking and camping - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Aquamira drops is the one I've been using ever since but haven't tried multi-day hiking so not sure if it can last.

Honestly I'm scared sh**less to drink from a natural water source. Even a relatively clean stream could have a rotting deer carcass upstream somewhere.

All of your suggestions are very helpful thanks!

I picked up a Platypus:

http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/filtration/category

I camped last weekend on Mt. Washington but wasn't backcountry camping so I didn't need to use it. Might do Marcy this weekend so hopefully I'll put it to the test.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnarcissaro View Post
    Aquamira drops. Lightweight and have never failed me.
    +1 , but Sawyer and Platypus rigs look good too....
    SteveD

I've used the Katadyn pump. Works pretty good.

I've used the MSR MiniWorks for years and it's a great solid rig. Paid $59 on sale at EMS.

Bleach; This is whats in your water if you get your water from a public source. 8 drops in a 1 L bottle. If you treat your water and can leave it open for a few Hrs you wont even taste it [Dissipates in air] However most people wont notice because this is what you drink at home. Cost about .02 cents and if you search the Gov web sites you can find a list of how much to use for different amounts of water. I will see if I can find the list later but no time now.

Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    Bleach; This is whats in your water if you get your water from a public source. 8 drops in a 1 L bottle. If you treat your water and can leave it open for a few Hrs you wont even taste it [Dissipates in air] However most people wont notice because this is what you drink at home. Cost about .02 cents and if you search the Gov web sites you can find a list of how much to use for different amounts of water. I will see if I can find the list later but no time now.
    I have a miox water purifier that i bought it in 2004, and it basically makes a little bleach that you add to your water.
    You just put about a teaspoon of water in the top compartment which also has a little salt in it and hit the button to give it an electric charge, then just add it to your water.
    Good little device, I've had it almost 10 years and it still works great.

Sent from my C771 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by madman View Post
    I don't think bleach gets rid of all the parasites.
    2009/2010 - 28

2009 mtb-19 rides- 113.58 miles

2008/09 - 33

I talked to my lab director and he said Chlorine (Bleach)will kill any Parasites that may be in water in NE. If the water is not clear it may take more Chlorine to treat but in general he thinks Chlorine is a safe and cheap treatment. I have been in the Water Industry for 23 Yrs and have gone Backpacking with 2 others from work and we have all gone to treatment with Chlorine. If you Google Emergency preparedness water treatment you should find any info you need

Thread Information