• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown (night): Friday, 1/12/2007

Greg

Staff member
I should be there.

Greg

Staff member
Looks like after tonight, there will be no more snowmaking oppotunities until Monday night, 1/8. The good news is it should start getting colder then with a low near 20 (many days out, I know). So I wouldn't expect bumps, but hopefully soon!

madskier6

I may be able to make it this night. It will depend on how things go at work early in the week. I'm shooting for it, though.

Question: I realize the conditions are spotty right now but it seems like Sundown has been blowing a ton of snow whenever possible. Are there bare spots on runs with rocks and/or other objects that would ruin the bottom (or rip out an edge) of some newer skis?

I have rock skis but the last times I went skiing (during the week after Christmas) I was able to avoid any bad spots that ruin skis with my newer pair (they're not brand new, been skied on 5 days). I'm leaning towards using the new ones at Sundown unless you tell me there's lots of hazards. Thanks.

Greg

Staff member
I may be able to make it this night. It will depend on how things go at work early in the week. I'm shooting for it, though.

Question: I realize the conditions are spotty right now but it seems like Sundown has been blowing a ton of snow whenever possible. Are there bare spots on runs with rocks and/or other objects that would ruin the bottom (or rip out an edge) of some newer skis?

I have rock skis but the last times I went skiing (during the week after Christmas) I was able to avoid any bad spots that ruin skis with my newer pair (they're not brand new, been skied on 5 days). I'm leaning towards using the new ones at Sundown unless you tell me there's lots of hazards. Thanks.

All skis are rock skis.... ;)

Seriously, the conditions are pretty good and the base is deep and side to side in most places. There are some thin areas and some rocks here and there, but certainly nothing that is going to "rip out an edge". Some scratches and small gouges may result in the base, but certainly no core shots or permanent damage...

My suggestion is to ski the ski you will have the most fun on. If that means the rockers so you won't feel compelled to ski more conservatively, then ski those...

Grassi21

I'm looking forward to this one since I prob. won't make it out this weekend.

loafer89

Ski Sundown is closed until Tuesday January 9th. With all of this warm weather and another 1" of rain forecast for sunday night-monday that is not too suprising.

This must be hurting business and now MLK weekend looks warm and rainy.:evil:

bvibert

Staff member
I worked there today. All I can say is that it was an amazing accomplishment just to open today after all that rain. There was a lot of folks working hard to do the best we could with what was left after the rain. That said I'm not surprised at all with the decision to close tomorrow and Monday. If they're able to open Tuesday I'll be truly impressed.

Greg

Staff member
I worked there today. All I can say is that it was an amazing accomplishment just to open today after all that rain. There was a lot of folks working hard to do the best we could with what was left after the rain. That said I'm not surprised at all with the decision to close tomorrow and Monday. If they're able to open Tuesday I'll be truly impressed.

Wow. How much was lost? I'll surly be there on Wednesday to revel in the reopening. Hopefully this is the last shutdown.

loafer89

I was just reading that Hartford-Bradley International reached 72F today for a new all time record high temperature. We only got to 64.8F with full sunshine and ALOT of wind.

I imagine these high temperatures melted alot of snow very quickly. Maybe we will have a packed powder day on wednesday with the cold temperatures and a possible clipper storm.

Greg

Staff member
The forecast looks good next week. Hopefully, they'll be able to resurface and expand.

bvibert

Staff member
Wow. How much was lost? I'll surly be there on Wednesday to revel in the reopening. Hopefully this is the last shutdown.

There was a lot lost just from the rain yesterday, not to mention the rain and high temps today. They closed Temptor first thing in the morning and I think I heard that they ended up having to close Stinger by mid-day. I could see a lot of brown from the base on Stinger, Temptor, and Exhibition. It wasn't a pretty sight for sure. I must say though that the customers that were there, and there was a fair amount considering the weather in the morning, seemed to be having fun. The ones that I talked to were happy that there was something to slide on.

The groomers did a good job of pushing around the last of the small stock piles this morning, but there was only so much to they could do... I can personally tell you that it took a large human powered effort to get snow on the loading and unloading ramps for the three lifts in operation since that rain had washed away almost all of the snow from them. :(

If Monday night is a cold as the forecast is now calling for then I think they'll be able to blow a good amount of snow and get the place back in to good shape. The forecasts that I've seen call for cold temps overnight all next week so I think next weekend will be MUCH better than this one! :snow: :snow:

Greg

Staff member
Monday night no longer looks as good for snowmaking with a low of only 30. Hopefully they'll have some sort of window. Temps look better starting Tuesday night, but certainly not mid-January type cold... :???:

madskier6

All skis are rock skis.... ;)

Seriously, the conditions are pretty good and the base is deep and side to side in most places. There are some thin areas and some rocks here and there, but certainly nothing that is going to "rip out an edge". Some scratches and small gouges may result in the base, but certainly no core shots or permanent damage...

My suggestion is to ski the ski you will have the most fun on. If that means the rockers so you won't feel compelled to ski more conservatively, then ski those...

This is what I suspected for the conditions. I will definitely have more fun on my newer skis so those are the ones I'll use.

I don't want to give the impression that I'm paranoid about the condition of my skis. Normally, I don't really care and just ski hard and let the chips fall where they may. My newer skis, however, were fairly expensive and I want to try to avoid trashing them early, if possible. I ripped out an edge on my last pair and had to wait quite a while to get these new ones so I don't want an early repeat of that.

Thanks for the input, Greg. Hopefully, I'll see you guys out there on Wednesday night. Let's hope for some good snowmaking temps so the conditions won't even be an issue.

Grassi21

After looking at the most recent forecast, we may have to consider Thursday again.

loafer89

Today was day number 9 for me and I only own one pair of ski's and have yet to hit any major rocks or scrape my bases too badly this season. Honestly I could if I wanted too, but even with the thin conditions today at Mohawk, there was a safe amount of snow to slide on.

Next weekend is starting to look ugly especially for Southern New England. Hopefully we will get enough cold air in place for snow in the north country. Rain on MLK weekend will be a disaster for already struggling areas.

Greg

Staff member
I have to imagine a Wednesday, not to mention Tuesday reopening is pretty iffy right now. I might consider Thursday night...

bvibert

Staff member
I probably won't be able to make this Wednesday if they are open, but I'll be there Thursday night, same deal as last week...