• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Quit Skiing - No way!

dlague

I have a friend who injured her knee years ago who told me today that she is giving up skiing! After her injury she started scaling down her trail selection and skiing conservatively as well as fewer times per season! She felt some instability last season which freaked her out. I recommended a custom brace but she is not interested!

So ... that made me think! We ski about 30-40 times per season, attend all the preseason stuff, and use the summer to replace our gear! The thought of ditching this sport we all so love is incomprehensible. I tore my ACL and had it replaced three years ago and I was conservative the first year back but I have been trying to push it more!

Question to everyone here – what would it take to quit skiing/snowboarding or would it even cross your mind?

Riverskier

It wouldn't even cross my mind unless due to some medical condition it posed a threat to my life. I tore my left ACL in 1997, my right in 2004, and my achilles in 2010. I have also dislcoated my shoulder twice (it is suceptable to dislocation due to a car accident, not skiing). None of these injuries deterred me and all of the repairs are holding up great!

ScottySkis

Not to my body says no. My dad had to stop because of MS and we had to take him off the hill, he started late in life but I think he wishes now that he was more fit so he could do handicap skiing.

Hawkshot99

for me, it would have to be a Corey ropper tunity in a warm climate. Some type of opportunity that I could not turn down. if I live reasonable distance to a ski mountain, I will be skiing.
I tore my ACL 5 years ago, and never once did I consider quitting the sport.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

abc

What does it take to get me stop skiing?

Cycling!

I love cycling a lot more than any other activity. So *IF* skiing conflicts with cycling, I'd quit skiing in a heartbeat. But currently, the two coexcist rather nicely. And I don't see anything that would change that.

But the bottom line is, skiing isn't the most addictive activity for me. So it's entirely possible that I may in the future happen upon something else that I enjoy more than skiing. Than skiing might get pushed aside.

And the cost of skiing, still spirallying upward towards the stratosphere, may potentially become too much of a conflicts with my other interest (such as cycling). I may give it up to enjoy something else cheaper. (or I might simply hike for turns, free)

So, I might quit skiing to use the time or money to do something else, not because I have any worry about injury and such. Granted, there WILL come a day I simply can't physically ski any more. Then, that would be THE END.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Since skiing is life.....the corollary would be no skiing equals death. So, as long as I am physically capable, I'll be skiing.

For the most part, all other sports and activities are just buying time as i'd much rather be skiing than doing anything else.

Warp Daddy

Still crankin turns at 70 , now its FREE!!! Hell i got motr aches , pains , football knees and a whole bunch o other chit , my chest was crcked open 4 years ago they did open heart surgury and i,ll be damned IM STILL up on the boards Dammit . i go to the damn gym 3 days a week everything aches like bastid BUT i AINT quittin till the head coach say i need ya on MY team up here big boy !

JimG.

Staff member
I'm already thinking of ways to weld a wheelchair to skis, no joke.

I lost a ski season to injury and spent the whole time thinking of adaptive skiing techniques; welding skis to a wheelchair sounds like an idea to me too.

In the worst case I figured I could take up kayaking if my legs didn't heal and I really couldn't ski anymore.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I lost a ski season to injury and spent the whole time thinking of adaptive skiing techniques; welding skis to a wheelchair sounds like an idea to me too.

In the worst case I figured I could take up kayaking if my legs didn't heal and I really couldn't ski anymore.

Hard to say what I'd do if I was looking at a long period of time where I couldn't ski due to injury.

I've got a paraplegic friend who was a die hard full on ski bum living in the mountains when he had use of his legs. I encourage him to explore adaptive options but he prefers to enjoy the sport vicariously through me and other friends. While he misses the sport tremendously he's content with holding onto great memories and overall is just happy to be alive.

steamboat1

Still crankin turns at 70 , now its FREE!!! Hell i got motr aches , pains , football knees and a whole bunch o other chit , my chest was crcked open 4 years ago they did open heart surgury and i,ll be damned IM STILL up on the boards Dammit . i go to the damn gym 3 days a week everything aches like bastid BUT i AINT quittin till the head coach say i need ya on MY team up here big boy !

You are an inspiration for all of us. :thumbup:

Warp Daddy

You are an inspiration for all of us. :thumbup:

Thank you for your kind words ! They are much appreciated and i have been blessed with some great role models who still ski wiyh me 2 are 80 and one is 78 and these men are in very good shape 2 have survived cancer and one has bionic knee and hips but ski like men half their age with both STYLE and speed . My only advice ro you young funs is STAY. Positive , WORKOUT as u age ,and celebrate what u can do . attitude with humor is a wonderful attribute . Rage on boyz !!!!

steamboat1

Warp Daddy keep getting after it. I've skied & ski with many your age & older & still do. My friend Pop (RIP) skied till the age of 92. His daughter who is my age is still the top women racer in our club. Others I ski with are in their 70's & a few in their 80's. I grew up skiing with them & their families, one of the great things about being part of a ski club. I've met some of my best friends through the club. I fully expect to still be going at your age, I'm only 13 years behind. Yeah I know young whipper snapper. I have other activities that I enjoy but skiing & being in the mountains in winter is my greatest joy. I hope the day never comes that you or I won't be able to enjoy it anymore.