• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

$7 to see a Pro NHL team

ScottySkis

1000068_389832964471159_1803855722_n.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member
This is an argument in favor of having an NHL team in Quebec.

Yeah, exactly. The Nordiques were closed down and I think that the Phoenix team took their slot. Phoenix, IIRC, is nearly bankrupt and the NHL is running that team. Real good idea there. So I'm not surprised to see all these southern teams struggling to get any fans. It just looks bad and it shows that the league is not really focusing on their core demographic. Hockey, from what I'm told, is the equivalent to our MLB, NFL, and NBA all rolled into one in Canada with a very high percentage of viewers in the country. Having the NHL in NYC making dumb decisions hurts the sport.

I also think that NBC is covering the NHL with about the same skill as they did the Olympics and that doesn't help. The games I've watched have included some pretty obvious programming errors and problems that a producer/director should have caught....like showing the Claude Julien pep talk last night for two minutes without the audio. Just dumb. Why can't I get CBC? :lol: That said, I just discovered that I get the NHL Network on my cable (schweet).

And on an odder note.....I also think it is odd that they don't sing "Oh Canada" at NHL games since most of the viewers are Canadians, most of the players are Canadians, and it is truly a Canadian sport. They did this at all Middlebury games...the American and Canadian anthems...so I just assumed it was done at all hockey games. But I guess I'm the one that might be odd. ;)

Last edited:

Hawkshot99

I would guess that that is if you bought a season ticket package. And the worst seats in the arena.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

drjeff

$7 for a seat, then in VERY small print "all beers are $50 a piece with a 1 beer per game minimum" ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

snowmonster

Yeah, exactly. The Nordiques were closed down and I think that the Phoenix team took their slot. Phoenix, IIRC, is nearly bankrupt and the NHL is running that team. Real good idea there. So I'm not surprised to see all these southern teams struggling to get any fans. It just looks bad and it shows that the league is not really focusing on their core demographic. Hockey, from what I'm told, is the equivalent to our MLB, NFL, and NBA all rolled into one in Canada with a very high percentage of viewers in the country. Having the NHL in NYC making dumb decisions hurts the sport.

I also think that NBC is covering the NHL with about the same skill as they did the Olympics and that doesn't help. The games I've watched have included some pretty obvious programming errors and problems that a producer/director should have caught....like showing the Claude Julien pep talk last night for two minutes without the audio. Just dumb. Why can't I get CBC? :lol: That said, I just discovered that I get the NHL Network on my cable (schweet).

And on an odder note.....I also think it is odd that they don't sing "Oh Canada" at NHL games since most of the viewers are Canadians, most of the players are Canadians, and it is truly a Canadian sport. They did this at all Middlebury games...the American and Canadian anthems...so I just assumed it was done at all hockey games. But I guess I'm the one that might be odd. ;)

The Nordiques actually became the Avalanche -- and the Avs promptly won the Cup on the year that they moved. If they move the Coyotes, Quebec hopes to be in play. The big reason the Canadians started losing their hockey teams was because they were financially uncompetitive because of the exchange rate. With the Canadian dollar strong against the US Dollar, there's more parity now. It could only be a question of time. However, Quebec still suffers from the same problem that made Lindros and his/mom spurn it: small market. There's also the question of whether the corporate fanbase is present in Quebec to pay for luxury boxes and premium seats.

There's no question about Canada's hockey obsession. I know I've crossed the 45th Parallel when every TV station has wall to wall to wall hockey coverage.

Re: Anthems: I think playing the Canadian anthem is appropriate given the composition of the participants (i.e., the athletes) and that the Cup itself started as a Canadian trophy.

ScottySkis

Well being a hockey fan in NYC can be annoying. Any time some happens to Rangers say the goalie is up for the Best goalie of the league which he is again go Henry I have a better change of hearing about it on 880am the 660 sports talk.

ScottySkis

19 years ago today NY had a Stanley cup to hold and drink out of, I remember that playoffs like it was yesterday.:thumbup::):):)

thetrailboss

Staff member
The Nordiques actually became the Avalanche -- and the Avs promptly won the Cup on the year that they moved. If they move the Coyotes, Quebec hopes to be in play. The big reason the Canadians started losing their hockey teams was because they were financially uncompetitive because of the exchange rate. With the Canadian dollar strong against the US Dollar, there's more parity now. It could only be a question of time. However, Quebec still suffers from the same problem that made Lindros and his/mom spurn it: small market. There's also the question of whether the corporate fanbase is present in Quebec to pay for luxury boxes and premium seats.

There's no question about Canada's hockey obsession. I know I've crossed the 45th Parallel when every TV station has wall to wall to wall hockey coverage.

Re: Anthems: I think playing the Canadian anthem is appropriate given the composition of the participants (i.e., the athletes) and that the Cup itself started as a Canadian trophy.

That's funny that the Colorado team won in its first season. Good points on why they had a tough time in Canada....but I know that the exchange rate is now (slightly) better.

ScottySkis

That's funny that the Colorado team won in its first season. Good points on why they had a tough time in Canada....but I know that the exchange rate is now (slightly) better.

Patrick Roy had lot to do with that. They were a great team. Roy will be coaching the Avalanche this year that should be interesting.

Hawkshot99

I am sure that the players are also not crazy about the income taxes that Canada charges. They get healthcare and that stuff but dont they pay a much higher % in canada? Makes your paycheck shrink when you got to pay more. Thats why alot of athletes like playing in states like Florida with no state income tax.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

4aprice

Miami has trouble supporting a baseball team, no less a hockey team. Quebec City definately deserves a team and I for the life of me can't understand why the NHL has never gone for Seattle. (great natural rivialy with Vancouver) Most of the southern attempts by the NHL seem to be mostly futile. BTW great TV ratings for the 1st Cup final game. Good Luck Bruin fans. In another week they will all be 0-0 again and I can start up with the Let's Go Devils chants and hopefully erase the misery that was the 2013 season.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I'm not a huge hockey fan but my brother in law works at Fenway and is going to the Bruins game tonight. He met someone and got tickets. 7 rows back. Not cheap seats, at all.