• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Walking Thread

ScottySkis

So past 3 three days I decided to skip subway train in morning and walk few miles each morning from Mid town NYC to Tribeca hopefully I burn some calories doing this. I was curious if anyone else does this walk and does it count as exercise?

hammer

Any activity counts, it's just that some count more than others...and it all beats just sitting around. If you have the time I'd say do it.

gmcunni

you wouldn't know it to look at me today but there was a time where i was in pretty good shape. i credit walking for that. i used to walk all the time and it was great exercise. i eventually moved on to running but if it wasn't for the start in walking i'd have never gotten there.

i'm walking again now, trying to get back into shape. 2.5 miles each day on a treadmill at the moment but if my knee gets better i'll move outside more and hopefully get back to running eventually

JimG.

Staff member
Walking is excellent exercise and definitely counts as a workout. It's low impact (as long as you use appropriate footwear) and it's a good cardiovascular activity. Plus you can walk pretty much anywhere.

Keep that up for a few months and you will lose weight and you will certainly improve your endurance.

ScottySkis

Thanks everyone, yes I plan on biking or running maybe by September and enjoy the walk quite a bit.

gmcunni

Thanks everyone, yes I plan on biking or running maybe by September and enjoy the walk quite a bit.
years ago my office was on the 8th floor, i started walking up at least twice a day (morning and lunch). in a couple of weeks i was surprised how much easier it got. when i left that job the stairs were one of few things i missed about working in an actual office.

o3jeff

If I don't go biking(which I don't get out on much anymore)I try to walk 2-2 1/2 miles around the neighborhood in the evening, seems to keep me in decent shape and clears my head.

Warp Daddy

The Queen and i have walked 3/4 miles a day for over 35 years , that and other exercise and low fat diet has helped to keep us fit and trim for years . My heart physician told me unequivocably that THAt Life style enabled me to survive myheart attack and open heart surgery 4 years ago yesterday and do survive with NO heart muscle damage at all . Now at 70 we still keep up thatvigorous exercise regi men of which WALKING is themaincenterpiece .

Youguys just make SURE that YOUeach give YOURSELF that gift of life each day .....KEEP WALKING!avoid elevators , take the stairs , get up and MOOOOOOVE get up at work and move around regularly , hold the carbs , and stay positive inyour putlook onlife and youtoo will be skiing and having a great time inyour seventh decade of life !!!:thumbup:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I think walking burns close to as many calories as running per mile. However since you are doing that mile much slower than running or jogging, the equivolent calorie burn takes much longer. I think I burn about 150 cal / mile running and about 130 - 140 per mile walking.

I have a desk job so moving is important, even if it's walking. I normally run frequently but walking is good also.

Oh and if you have a baby pushing a stroller adds some extra effort :)

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I walk quite a bit and I always take the stairs.. our company has a Milestone challenge going on right now, we can win raffles, reward money, etc. It's been interesting tracking my workouts based on time. I've never done that before; it's neat to look back at my spreadsheet and see how often i work out, how much, what i'm doing, etc.

ScottySkis

Two weeks of walking 3 miles in the morning today I am wearing my Alta shirt and saw someone else wearing their Alta shirt and gave him thumbs up, pretty cool love skiing can't wait for winter to come.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Yeah it's beautiful now. I have been using a Fitbit tracker. It's interesting because it counts your steps. what I have discovered so far,

On days I don't work out and go in the office, I am only ending up with about 4000 steps in a day. That is very low, in my opinion. A 5-mile run for me is about 6,000 steps. A walk with the stroller up and down the road is about 1500 steps. Actively playing with my son does something like 1000 steps an hour.

On days when I work from home and play with my son, walk up and down the road once or twice, and do a four or five mile run, I will hit 15,000 steps. If I'm doing yardwork or something, I can easily get to 20,000.

Interesting though because I never thought I was really sedentary but then you think about days when you are just sitting on your ass and working and there is really no worthwhile movement at all.

jrmagic

I believe the hope is to get people to take 6,000 steps a day. Getting to 15k or 20k is fantastic. I try to walk as much as possible during the work day in NYC. I easily manage 3+ mikes at lunch and occasionally get past 5 miles. I didn't walk much over the summer as I would come back in my dress clothes a sweaty mess but I've been back to 3 or 4 times a week plus whatever else I do outside work. I really need to get back to the gym though....

steamboat1

I've been walking 2-1/2 -3 miles 3-4 times a week since last spring when I was finally able to walk again. That takes me 45 minutes to an hour. I also do all kinds of arm raising/stretching exercises while I'm walking. After the walk I spend about 15/20 minutes doing leg stretching & raising exercises. Work up a pretty good sweat even on cool days.