• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Really Bummed Out today

JimG.

Staff member
Seems that your new pet is a very lucky cat. You are obviously caring owners.

Cornhead

Congrats on the new addition to the family! When I was growing up we lived in an apparent. We were allowed cats, but no dogs. We lived close to a two lane, 50 mph road. Over my childhood we lost several cats to roadkill. One evening I was finishing up the last few deliveries on my paper route. I had to cross aforementioned road, it was dark. I found what I thought was one of our cats dead in the road. I brought its lifeless body home. I broke the sad news to my Mom, and we were both crying in the living room. I was facing a large picture window with a curtain draped halfway up, my Mom had her back to the window. Our cats would stand on their hind legs and paw at the window above the curtain to signal to us that they wanted to come in. Suddenly there was a cat pawing at the glass. I said with excitement, and disbelief, "Mom, look, Tony's ALIVE!" She didn't even turn around initially. she just said, "No Bobby, he's gone." Turns out the cat I brought home belonged to one of my customers on my paper route. They were both black and gray tigers, and I hadn't noticed the difference in the dark. The spooky thing is I had left the cat outside near the window. It was like Pet Cemetery, before the book, or movie. They say cats have nine lives, Tony had at least two.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Nice!

Both our cats are SPCA adoptions. 1 is now 11, the younger is 4.

As much as I appreciate certain purebred cats such as big ole Maine Coon's, Lynx Point Siamese, Somali cats and Russian Blues; I doubt I'd ever "purchase" a purebred cat (or dog) from a breeder.

All my life pets have been the result of adoptions and I've been blessed with some great cats and dogs.

Congrats Warp!

Warp Daddy

Thanks DHS and Corny, man what a great story !!!! All of us pet guys have a special bond with our furried friends .

guess it is just great when u come home from a rough day at work or whereever and you are lower than a reptile's belly from the turmoil .....BUT as soon as you cross the threshold THEY greet you like the hero u r ;)

Thanks guys 4 all the positive feedback !

DHS : U must b getting pretty close to that degree man , soooon ill be trying to HIRE u for our regional medical center :)

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Hey Warp, missed this post when you first made it, sorry to hear about your loss and welcome to the new family member :)

I had two cats but both went the Coyote (or fisher cat) way, unfortunately.

Also have two dogs that I love. My oldest dog, Maui, is now 7-1/2, and it's so obvious he is getting older. I hate it because I know we are on the backside of his life, but I try to not think about it. Pets find a way into your life that you don't even notice until they are gone then. Stuff like walking it he door and having them freak out over seeing you, or just tripping over the dog when they are constantly in your face :p

dmc

My neighbor is on their 3rd cat...
I warned them when they moved in that we have fisher cats, coyotes and hawks that can take out a cat..
Coyotes have been really active this summer... We hear them in the hills all the time..

First one they let out after they moved in - disappeared that night..
Got a kitten - let it out.. I found the fur in my side yard...
They got another kitten... and it's outside right now meowing to come in... kills me....

My cat goes out into my fenced in lilac garden where I can keep an eye on her... And only during the day...

hammer

All of us pet guys have a special bond with our furried friends .

guess it is just great when u come home from a rough day at work or whereever and you are lower than a reptile's belly from the turmoil .....BUT as soon as you cross the threshold THEY greet you like the hero u r ;)

We had all kinds of dogs and cats growing up but I never appreciated them like I do now as an older adult. Never had an attachment to dogs like I do to our two now...and yes a highlight of the day is getting home from work to two excited pups.

Congrats on the new addition to the family.

Cornhead

I warned them when they moved in that we have fisher cats, coyotes and hawks that can take out a cat..
Coyotes have been really active this summer... We hear them in the hills all the time..

They got another kitten... and it's outside right now meowing to come in... kills me....

My cat goes out into my fenced in lilac garden where I can keep an eye on her... And only during the day...
Been seeing bald eagles on my canoe workouts this Summer, a little worried they might possibly snatch one of our cats. That's a new one, never had to worry about that before. If it were to happen, it'd be fair play, they've snagged countless mice, moles, chipmunks, baby rabbits, birds, even bats, over the years.

JimG.

Staff member

I have 3 different hawks on my property, 2 brown hawks, a red tail. Between them and the barn owl at night I have no mice in my house at all, not even my garage. They are very efficient hunters.

dlague

We just lost a cat! We have owl's, hawks, coyotes etc. in our fields and woods - my guess is that it is not coming back!

ScottySkis

At my house we have two great dogs brother and sister and they have he has tried to escape the fence in back yard by digging under the fence and luckily he came up to the BBQ, now there wire fencing and in few months when my cousin has some money their doing electric fence unfortunately lots of stray animals end up on Burlingham Rd. Which is not that safe.

dmc

Also - fox have been known to take out cats..

Trekchick

I haven't been around in a long while and just saw this. Warp Daddy, I'm so sorry for your loss. Furry friends are the best kind.
Phil and I will take Ziggy for an extra long hike today and pay tribute to your furry friend.

Warp Daddy

I haven't been around in a long while and just saw this. Warp Daddy, I'm so sorry for your loss. Furry friends are the best kind.
Phil and I will take Ziggy for an extra long hike today and pay tribute to your furry friend.

Tigress u r da best thank you for your note . Me and the Queen miss Teefster , he was a great cat , but we have a real sweetheart now meet Lizzie . Shes been here 3 days and is awesome

Warp Daddy

Just saw this, Warp. I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you've found a great new member of your family, though!

SEVIE !!!! Thanx. Hey i'll tell u the same thing i said to Sky ...... Good to hear from you and Don't be a stranger here. K ??? All the best to you and Big B and the kiddos ;)