• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt. Carrigain via Signal Ridge Trail 12/30/2006

Mike P.

Date(s) Hiked: 12-30-2006

Trails(s) Hiked: Signal Ridge

Total Distance: 10 MIles!!!!!

Difficulty:Moderate

Conditions: First two water crossings tough, after that not bad, a few downed trees & ice under an inch or two of snow, now a few inches of snow

Special Required Equipment: Poles very helpful, some people used crampons, others didn't warm boots & clothes

Trip Report: Garry & I met at Mtn, Bean in Twin Mountain & then after eating went to Highland Center where we met Farmer Bob, Alan, Ross & Adrian. Bob, Garry & i were all set when we got to the trailhead so we started off first. At the first crossing Garry slipped & his boot went into the drink. I thought we were done then but Garry continued on & as long as he did not stop for long, he was fine. The next crossing was even harder & we shimmied across a downed tree upstream a bit. About 1/2 way up the rest of the group caught us & since we were holding Bob back a bit he stayed with Alan, Ross & Adrian. From Signal Ridge, when the view was good, you could just make out the tower in the clouds & snow. The first 1/2 of our group went up the tower but Garry & I just went to the summit & then headed back into the trees before grabbing a bite to eat. Bob, Ross & Adrian donned crampons for a bit the rest of us slide down. Garry fell a couple of times, once down low which he banged his shoulder on a rock & I fell once. Instead of trying the water crossings again, we bushwhacked along the river bank & came out between the two entrances for the trailhead parking lot.

Did I mention Sawyer River Road was OPEN!!!!!!!! This normally 14 mile winter trip was just 10 miles, just like summer. Don't expect the road to stay open long. It's raining in Ct this New Year's Day, it it falls as snow or ice on top of the 2-3 inches that fell on Saturday, I suspect they will gate it. The two mile walk from Route 302 also gains a few hundred feet of elevation. We saw somewhere between 15-20 others on the trail.

Started at 8:00 & got down about 3:10

Last edited:

MtnMagic

The first crossing was next to impossible! We bushwhacked on the South side on the return to avoid getting hurt or soaked.

Saturday saw Dougeh complete #48 on Carrigain. Woo Hoo!! Though 5 hikers that canceled a the last minute, Peter G., a banker from Franklin, MA.; Doug A., a finish carpenter from Exeter NH; Ghostdog, on her 2nd round of the 48; and Magic a hiker from Lancaster, NH met to share Doug's goal. The Sawyer River Crossing was quite tricky having spent 45 minutes searching for a across. We met Mac, Eric, and Rodger, all friends from Haverhill, MA, leap frogged several times and trail talked through out this adventure. Old friends Gary G. & Mike P., from CT, were on the trail returning and we exchanged pleasantries. In fact a total of 17 hikers, including us, were on the trail. We celebrated Doug's achievement at the Woodstock Station with tender and delicious steak tips, wheat, and wassail ale. Someone behind us said "I know you" We turned to see Unadogger with Michael J, and rocksnrolls seated at a nearby table. Our group met great hikers on the trail and old friends while dining at The Station. Woo Hoo!!