• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most Intimidating Trails

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Nastiest, scariest, most sweat producing trails on the East Coast. What trail still gives you goosebumps when you see it?

Ripcord at Mount Snow is one. Anywhere you look at it, the bottom of the trail, the top, from the Canyon quad- it looks scary and steep. The only trail I've been on that caused my fear of heights to kick in, right at the edge where it starts to get steep.

100_4041.jpg

Outer Limits from the Bear base lodge at Killington makes it look serious. The Canyon area from the Canyon chair or K-1 gondola at Killington gives me shivers. This is another good shot of the Canyon.

k25.jpg

Goat at Stowe with thin cover anyone?

goat.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
Two that I have not had the pleasure of skiing that immediately come to mind would be Madonna Liftline at Smuggs and Tramline at Cannon.

For the most part, it's really conditions dependent whether a trail (in the east) might cause a bit of pucker factor for me.

HowieT2

Two that I have not had the pleasure of skiing that immediately come to mind would be Madonna Liftline at Smuggs and Tramline at Cannon.

For the most part, it's really conditions dependent whether a trail (in the east) might cause a bit of pucker factor for me.

totally agree. If there's snow, i can ski it. Ice gives me pause.

hammer

Well ... it intimidates me. :spin: True Grit at Waterville has the same roll as Outer Limits but neither are that intimidating to me.
True Grit looked intimidating to me at first but it's so wide that it's not that big of a deal. Saw a number of intermediates going down it the last time I was there.

steamboat1

The view from the top of Paradise at MRG looking down to the mid mountain traverse trail. I can remember saying to myself last time I skied it "what the F**K am I doing here."

snowmonster

Chute to Liftline at MRG -- It's a straight shot and moderately wide. It's bumped up, steep, and icy a lot. However, the intimiidation factor is having all those skiers on the Single hovering just above you. You know they're judging you. There's a pressure to perform at your best -- and not blow a turn or sideslip, or get into a wedge or fall...You get the picture.

mriceyman

I know its not east coast but this one section in mott canyon at heavenly was pretty gnarlyImageUploadedByAlpineZone1375287889.885768.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1375287934.818777.jpg
Ill try and contribute to the east coast theme later

Sent from my iPhone

dlague

I do not go out looking for the steepest trail these days. I blew my knee out several years ago and tend to be a little more cautious now.

There are several types of skiers that ski steeps - the slow methodical types that stop every three or four turns, the moderately paced skier and the balls to the wall skier. I think if you think about it from and all out hard charging then I think there are more trails out there then most would dare to attest to. I consider my self the moderate paced skier when it comes to steeper trails

I think it is all relative! Much is dependent on conditions and ability! I can comfortably go down most difficult terrain after a freshies and can get myself out of tight spots when necessary. That being said, on days where there is refreeze going on, or conditions are scrapped off, or too many people are on the trails who should not be well that is a whole other story. Under those circumstances, I could pick a number of trails at most resorts.

The other issue are bumps - I like skiing them but my knees do not! Therefore, if heading down a trail that results in large hard bumps - I get nervous as to not wanting to get injured - I like long seasons!

To name some - the chutes at Jay, Canyon trails (too busy) at Killington, Nosedive at Stowe, Governor at Saddleback, Rumble at Sugarbush, Freefall at Smuggs, Shockwave at Sunday River! I can honestly say that I rarely ski any of most of them - I like the Chutes after heavy snowfall!

Smellytele

Guess most of you haven't been to Gore.

I have and while the trail "the Rumor" was steep there wasn't a pucker factor because it was wide and there was a run out. If you fell you would slide without any fear of hitting anything. My kids flew down it and I had to keep up so not much thinking about it and just did it.

jimmywilson69

For Killington, Ovation when the lower part is frozen and a frozen upper Vertigo. Both doable, but hairy

defintiely been on both of those when they are rock hard. better have sharp edges. Lower O is a way longer slide than Upper V. though.