• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Most Intimidating Trails

dlague

I'm surprised nobody is mentioning Jay's face chute's. For me that's definitely "Woooh - no way". Intimidated? Uh huh.

Face Chutes was mentioned earlier! Only good when there is significant snow fall!

Frozen Forever

Some from Whiteface. The Slides obviously, the narrower ones especially. Lookout Below is on the low end but has some intimidation, like a much narrower version of the Rumor at Gore.

crank

I don;t believe anybody has mention Paradise at MRG. The little ice fall at the entrance can be a wee bit intimidating. Also Starr at Stowe with the hole in the fence where you stick your ski tips through, look down between them and see air.

skiking4

Some lines in the Face Chutes are clearly the most intimidating. The Face Chutes are a huge area and many people take the gladed area or head straight under the tram. A little bit looker's left are a few more chutes that mostly contain straight lines and/or contain mandatory straightlines. Short, but also the 50-100 ft headwall on the chutes under the tram are also the steepest pitch I've skied on a marked run in the East.

Anklebiter

+1

Mott's was the most intimidating I've skied to date. Rumble @ Sugarbush on the east coast, but it was a lot of fun.

MadMadWorld

Some lines in the Face Chutes are clearly the most intimidating. The Face Chutes are a huge area and many people take the gladed area or head straight under the tram. A little bit looker's left are a few more chutes that mostly contain straight lines and/or contain mandatory straightlines. Short, but also the 50-100 ft headwall on the chutes under the tram are also the steepest pitch I've skied on a marked run in the East.

I guess it depends on what people consider to be part of the Face Chutes. Under the tram can seem intimidating at first glance but it's short and not all that technical. On the other hand, if you include the ridge as part of the Face Chutes then that changes everything. Very intimidating and technical lines all along it.

dlague

I have never skied this trail but noticed on a terrain map that Royal Flush @ Killington is steep - short but steep.

steamboat1

I have never skied this trail but noticed on a terrain map that Royal Flush @ Killington is steep - short but steep.

Pretty steep but not crazy steep, not that short either. The trail does afford the best view of the Canyon area though. Problem with Royal Flush is it's exposure. It gets hit pretty hard with direct sun & doesn't have snow making on it so it often melts out pretty quick. When it's good it's one of the better trails on the mountain.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Pretty steep but not crazy steep, not that short either. The trail does afford the best view of the Canyon area though. Problem with Royal Flush is it's exposure. It gets hit pretty hard with direct sun & doesn't have snow making on it so it often melts out pretty quick. When it's good it's one of the better trails on the mountain.

Yep, coverage is main issue on Royal Flush. If you have good coverage, not that bad.

x10003q

Yep, coverage is main issue on Royal Flush. If you have good coverage, not that bad.
Royal Flush faces SSE so when it has good snow coverage it can be awesome with big soft bumps. The flip side is it can freeze into an ice rink when temps drop. It is an interesting trail.

dlague

yup closed in that pic! Does not look that intimidating if there is good snow. If there is ice as in that picture then it can be very sketchy but then again even a steep blue can be under the right conditions.

steamboat1

Since some are intimidated by skiing under a lift with people watching I'm surprised no one has mentioned black diamond under the summit quad at Mt. Ellen yet.

172618.jpg

podunk77

I'm curious as to whether people think Pitch Pine (at King Pine) warrants a mention in this thread.

dlague

I'm curious as to whether people think Pitch Pine (at King Pine) warrants a mention in this thread.

Not a chance! Not to be to rude, but that trial is actually very easy compared to all mentioned here. I skied that trail with my kids years ago when they were 6, 7 and 9.

Then again, every person has a different perspective and view point. Just because something is easy for one person does not make it less intimidating for others.