• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sochi Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

mister moose

I've given a bit more thought about the when in Rome do as the Romans do sentiment, and the more I think about it, isn't that the complete opposite of what the games are supposed to be about?

The Olympics have never been entirely about the Host Nation and their culture. For the most part, the host nation gets the stage two times to show off their virtues, during the opening and closing ceremonies. In between, the Olympic spirit has been about celebrating and accepting all nations and their cultures in the spirit of sport. The spirit of the games is for the entire world to pause and take a break from cultural, political and military differences among nations and just have fun and play some games. A recess and respite every four years from what can be an ugly world to celebrate humanity. Only during World War 1 and 2 have the games not occurred due to nations not being able to put their differences aside. There have been nation boycotts (famously the USA for the 1980 Russian Olympics and Russia during the 1984 LA Olympics), but the Olympics pretty much have always gone on no matter what since 1896.

I'll try and be an optimist like Warp and hope that the games will follow traditional spirit and there will be great tolerance and minimal issues concerning gay participation at Sochi, whether it be the athletes or spectators.

That said, the warning by Putin and Russia to "behave and don't promote that you are gay" tone is anti-Olympic spirit in my opinion. Very disappointing to see a host nation grand stand like that no matter what the issue is. If this legislation and international warning from Russia came out prior to the site selection for the 2014 Winter Olympics; would Russia have won selection to host the games?

I think and hope not.

Rule #1. The laws of the host country prevail.
Rule #2. Not every country has the same laws you do.
Rule #3. When you are a guest of a foreign country, you obey the laws in that country. Doesn't matter if you are an olympic athlete, an international spy on the run, a rock star, or a billionaire.

I'm sure there are some gay Russian athletes that will be competing.

We live in one of the most open and free societies in the world. If we boycotted every host country that did not have laws as open as ours, or did not have laws we agreed with, we would go to very few olympics. The olympics are not the place to put on a demonstration against the laws of the host country. That makes it political. The olympics are about sport. Put on the Tshirt, play the game. You don't need to proclaim your religion, ethnicity, or global warming stance. You might even be in a counry where free speech is not protected.

mister moose

If the law had been in place when the Games were awarded, Sochi would never have gotten the bid.

So by your theory, Russia will never again host the olympics if that law remains on the books. Somehow I doubt that.

Hawkshot99

If the law had been in place when the Games were awarded, Sochi would never have gotten the bid.

So by your theory, Russia will never again host the olympics if that law remains on the books. Somehow I doubt that.

The Soviet Union was known for being really nice to its people during the purges, but they hosted the games in 80'. The Nazis hosted both the summer and winter games in 36'. China oppresses many of their peoples freedoms, but were awarded for 08'.

arik

I have mixed feelings, would hate for the athletes who have worked so hard to have to miss the Olympics because of a boycott, but also find the law and political environment there pretty scary.

there has been some media coverage of possible forced labor / human trafficking involved in building the Olympic venues:

http://www.uznews.net/news_single.php?lng=en&cid=3&nid=22001
http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/716653.shtml
http://carnegieendowment.org/2013/04/10/controversy-and-concern-over-sochi-olympics/fyyh

BenedictGomez

I am ordering a straight pride flag though.

official_straight_pride_flag_posters-rd90b5351c4de46739672b0d871bae72d_wvw_8byvr_512.jpg

That's HYSTERICAL! I've never seen that.

the nazis didnt start gassing people from day one. it started with things like this. and the olympics were in munich in 1936. just sayin'

No, they just dragged people out of their homes in the middle of the night and executed them. In 1934 (Long before the Olympics).

I've given a bit more thought about the when in Rome do as the Romans do sentiment, and the more I think about it, isn't that the complete opposite of what the games are supposed to be about?

That logic would hold more water had the 2008 Summer games not taken place in China. Frankly, I'm amazed as the "fuss" this is creating given that fact. China > Russia (and that's an understatement) in terms of oppression, etc...

Clearly false. Again ----> SEE: China

The Olympic games awarding process is now, and has been, about money, sex, politics, and scandal. It's romantic fiction to think otherwise. The same with FIFA and the World Cup. Qatar getting the world cup? A country of only 1.5 million people? In summer? When it could be 120 degrees (literally)? I'd love to see the Swiss Bank transactions that took place for Qatar to "win" that process. lol

Rambo

Caught the Prez on the news this morning. Get him away from his teleprompter and he is basically clueless. They showed him talking about the Russian Olympics and the anti-gay Russian laws and he said, All athletes be they gay should have equal rights under the law, then he said, Be they run track, perform in the pool or on the balance beam... The Prez doesn't seem to know we are talking about the 2014 Russian Sochi, WINTER OLYMPICS!

bigbog

The congressional wanna-be control freaks should do what Carter should've done....acknowledge our differences(ie mister moose), suck it up and desist from any self-serving speeches....and send the athletes to compete.
As mentioned, there will be more than a few closet gay athletes coming from Russia and Ukraine alone. I think we should attend, if only to stand in Putin's face, with those who are also disgusted with the strong-boy Putin's parochial policy...

Last edited:

bobbutts

I think everyone agrees with the when in Rome thing, but there has to be a limit to that. Hopefully none of us would have participated in the holocaust just because we visiting in Germany at the time. I think the more relevant question is which side of that line these Russian laws are on.

Edd

I think everyone agrees with the when in Rome thing, but there has to be a limit to that. Hopefully none of us would have participated in the holocaust just because we visiting in Germany at the time. I think the more relevant question is which side of that line these Russian laws are on.

I don't know the points about the recent games in China are sound. Is Russia worse on human rights than China? No idea but my guess is that it's a toss-up.

MadMadWorld

I think the real debate is whether the IOC was responsible for World War II

Here are the host countries prior to/during WWII

1920 - Belgium
1924 - France
1928 - Netherlands
1932 - US
1936 - Germany
1940 - Japan (cancelled)
1944 - England (cancelled)

ScottySkis

Us president just squashed meeting with Russia president next month maybe it will effed the Olympics.

MadMadWorld

Rule #1. The laws of the host country prevail.
Rule #2. Not every country has the same laws you do.
Rule #3. When you are a guest of a foreign country, you obey the laws in that country. Doesn't matter if you are an olympic athlete, an international spy on the run, a rock star, or a billionaire.

I'm sure there are some gay Russian athletes that will be competing.

We live in one of the most open and free societies in the world. If we boycotted every host country that did not have laws as open as ours, or did not have laws we agreed with, we would go to very few olympics. The olympics are not the place to put on a demonstration against the laws of the host country. That makes it political. The olympics are about sport. Put on the Tshirt, play the game. You don't need to proclaim your religion, ethnicity, or global warming stance. You might even be in a counry where free speech is not protected.

Agree 100%. At the same time, I strongly doubt that any Olympic athlete would be imprisoned for wearing a rainbow wristband. It will create an international incident of epic proportions. Call Team America!

Status
Not open for further replies.