• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Results are in: Snow-East Magazine Poll 2013

thetrailboss

Staff member
A favorite topic (or lightning rod) for the board. Discuss.

http://snoweastmagazine.com/Articles/Reader Survey 2013/2013 Overall Winners.pdf

OVERALL FAVORITE RESORTS​
1. Killington, VT2. Whiteface Mountain, NY3. Saddleback, ME4. Sugarloaf, ME5. Snowshoe Mountain, WV6. Belleayre, Mountain, NY7. Camelback, PA8. Gunstock, NH9. Mont-Sainte-Anne, QC​
10. Holiday Valley, NY

FAVORITE RESORTS Under 1100’​
1. Ski Butternut, MA2. Camelback, PA3. Holiday Valley, NY4. Plattekill Mountain, NY5. Blue Mountain, PA6. Lost Valley, ME7. Elk Mountain, PA8. Wachusett Mountain, MA9. Suicide Six, VT​
10. Mount Peter, NY
By state:

http://snoweastmagazine.com/Articles/Reader Survey 2013/2013 Winners, Canada and States.pdf

Puck it

Ok. Gunstock is #8 in the overall for the Northeast but #6 in NH. How does that work?

Cannonball

Ok. Gunstock is #8 in the overall for the Northeast but #6 in NH. How does that work?

I would guess that works by them getting beat out by resorts in other states for the overall ranking. Or am I missing something in the simplicity of it?

Edit: Oh yeah, I see what you're saying. That makes no sense!

thetrailboss

Staff member
I also love how Saddleback comes in as #3 in the Northeast, but loses to Sunday River AND Sugarloaf in the ME list.

I guess the state list and overall list must be polled with no relation to each other.

dlague

Ok this list is a sham! I ski Gunstock from time to time since it is thirty minutes from our home, but top ten favorite????? Not buying that!

I have been to Saddleback, while it has its pros and cons - I am not buying that at #3. It looks more like a regional thing and covers a very broad area.

What about Sugarbush, Sunday River, Stowe, Jay Peak, Loon, etc. Any one of these blow away many in the top ten!

Cannon not on the list of most scenic?

xwhaler

In terms of sheer snowmaking firepower Saddleback has no business in a Top 10 or even top 20 list in New England I'd bet. However due to their limited staff they employ a strategy to totally bombard the crap out of a trail before moving on. It's too time consuming and inefficient for them to move guns/hoses back to a trail they "dusted and ran" on just to boost trail count.
They are slow to open additional terrain early season but what they have open is some of the best covered terrain anywhere.

Saddleback's terrain park is actually pretty good too---no pipe but some nice big kickers/features. Also essentially a dedicated lift for the park.

Not sure how Gunstock is considered a "classic" resort. The lodge maybe but none of the terrain/lifts say classic to me.

4aprice

Holy Smokes. Camelback did really well in those polls. Not that I totally agree with them but it is a testament to the good job they do with snowmaking, so good for them. They do many things well.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

HowieT2

that resort rankings are a joke, has long been apparent, but this begs the question of whether the editors even read them.

x10003q

Holy Smokes. Camelback did really well in those polls. Not that I totally agree with them but it is a testament to the good job they do with snowmaking, so good for them. They do many things well.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
More like ballot stuffing. If Camelback is your favorite resort you need a new resort.:wink: That goes for about 5 on the Favorite Resort list. When Stowe, Sugarbush, Mt Tremblant, Okemo, Stratton, Mt Snow, Sunday River, and even Smugglers, Jay, Gore, Loon and Waterville are all missing from your Favorite Resort list really do not have a list.

thetrailboss

Staff member
that resort rankings are a joke, has long been apparent, but this begs the question of whether the editors even read them.

+1. That magazine has good intentions, but they just don't have the resources or know-how to be credible. I know that during the last few years we have groaned at this poll/list in particular because it just seems to not make any sense. What is a "classic" resort? Why divide the resorts into 1,100 vertical vs. the others?

slatham

The Overall Poll is very suspect. The one by state is closer to reality. But what I LOVED to see was Magic as #7 for "Classic Resort" and #10 in VT!!!

Edd

Not sure how Gunstock is considered a "classic" resort. The lodge maybe but none of the terrain/lifts say classic to me.

Mmm, that's a tough one. The main hall in the lodge is actually beautiful and there are a number of reasonably windy, narrow trails there. It's a bit subjective but I can see it.

BenedictGomez

More like, it's a testament to their getting out the "please vote" thing on Facebook and Twitter, etc...

More like ballot stuffing. If Camelback is your favorite resort you need a new resort.:wink: That goes for about 5 on the Favorite Resort list. When Stowe, Sugarbush, Mt Tremblant, Okemo, Stratton, Mt Snow, Sunday River, and even Smugglers, Jay, Gore, Loon and Waterville are all missing from your Favorite Resort list really do not have a list.

Seriously, I know these lists are often (if not typically) poorly constructed, but this one is just beyond ridiculous.