• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cruising up Cabot!

MtnMagic

Date Hiked:
12/27/2006

Trails Hiked:
Mount Cabot

Total Distance:
7.8 miles

Difficulty:
moderate

Conditions:
3" snow over ice. Perfect to bare boot.

Special Required Equipment:
Traction devices, trkking poles optional

Trip Report:
Wednesday was Dougeh #47 and it was on Mt Cabot in the winter! A perfect mild, winter day with magic in the air right from the start. Although 2 canceled, Doug A., a self employed finish carpenter from Exeter, Fred S., a retired electrical engineer from Andover, joined Ghost and me for a leisurely 10 am start. We saw the footprints in the snow of a man and I thought a woman in the snow who left the trail and bushwhacked to the summit! He locked us in the cabin and was startled to hear me say, "Hey, unlock the door!" He and his young son, said he lost the trail, climbed up, and accidentally re-found the top section of the trail. Geesh! We met 10 in the cabin, Alan C. who joined us in the descent and 5 college young men coming up to spend the night. The grand total was 16 hikers on a Wednesday on Mount Cabot. A wonderful day to hike and enjoy trail talk with 16 other hikers in the mountains!

MtnMagic

Yes & no. The trailhead parking lot is plowed. No signs saying anything. I live in town and know the owner. The USFS says it is closed. I am amazed at the number of hikers from out of state that use it. And some old time AMC trip leaders. It sure doesn't look or feel like it is closed. A two part picture, Mike.

Mike P.

I assume the out-of staters are using the older trail guides that do not reference the property dispute. Does the property owner at the trailhead plow the lot? Or maybe the town plows the lot, no reason not to as far as the are concerned.

Does the owner at the trailhead get along with his neighbor who has closed his section of the trail?

Unless I get bad weather in Feb & March I likely won't get to Cabot this winter any way. If I do go in 2007, I'll either use the Fish Hatchery approach or the more northern approach, depending on the season.

MtnMagic

The Town still plows each of the side of the road parking spaces. I've asked hikers what edition they have of the WMG and most do say 26 or earlier.

The owner at the trailhead has an incredible people sized miniture R.R. set-up in his yard all summer long. It is a very professional and expensive set-up. The tracks are around 18" wide, goes through 3/4 of a acre of a flat circle, and the locamotive seats one full size adult and the other cars each carry 1 adult or 2 kids. Just like something you would only see at an amusement park. But here, in the forest! Wow!!

The Fish Hatchery trails really are the most romantic ascent. The Bunnell Notch and the beautiful Unknown Pond Trails are another favorite way of mine up the mtn. What a super camping spot!