• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Backpacking in the Bigelows 8.16 & 8.17

tomcat

Website
tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com
My friend from PA was visiting Maine and looking for an overnight outing. Having hiked Katahdin and the Knife Edge last visit, I figured the Bigelows would be a good choice this time. Friday was a little hazy and gave a few sprinkles but visibility was still decent. If anything the clouds enhanced some of the views with pockets of sun poking through. We climbed via the AT from 27. I planned on Horns Pond Trail but the Stratton Brook Road was closed for logging. I hadn't used the AT approach in a while so we used that approach.
We camped at Bigelow Col. The next morning we climbed Avery under great conditions and clearer skies. We finished on the Fire Warden's Trail to the last mile or so of the AT.
Very few people given the nice days. I'm sure later Saturday and Sunday were busier. Trail was in great shape.
Lots of pics and full report at my blog http://tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com/2013/08/backpacking-in-bigelows.html