• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pass, Badges and Discounts

Huck_It_Baby

Last year before the season began I started the thread below about whether or not to get a Stowe pass. It lead to a useful and helpful discussion regarding pros and cons of various Northern Vermont mountains.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/112660-Stowe-Pass?highlight=stowe+pass

I decided not to get a pass because I wanted to bounce around, chase snow and not feel locked into one mountain. Now a year later I am reflecting on my decision and recalculating what to do for this season.

Stowe/Smuggs/Notch area is SO awesome and where I spend the most time but I tend to ski the resorts mainly on the weekends since I work mon-fri. At around $2,000 a Stowe pass isn't really economical for the # of potential days I am able to get out there. Last year I had near 30 resort days at Stowe, Smuggs, Bolton, Jay, SB and Killington.

If you are like me and are someone who works full time and spends most of your time skiing the northern vermont particularly in the Notch here is what I recommend.

Buy a VT Traveler club Card for $44. This gets you discounts at just about all VT resorts and select hotels and restaurants. You don't have to live in VT to get the card. If you use the card at least 3-4 times it's well worth the money.

http://www.classicskitours.net/vermonttravel.asp

With this card I paid:

$62 at Stowe. Normal rate is $92.
$42 at Jay. Normal rate is $69
$45 at Bolton (35 mid week). Normal is $56
$51 at Smuggs. Normal is $68

The Stowe savings is the best deal you get with the card. I went to Stowe 12 times this past season and paid a total of $744. Normal ticket rate for 12 visits would have been $1,104 without the VT club card.

On top of the VT club card you can then get a Smuggs Bash Badge or Bash badge plus for $100 or $169 which gets you $25 day tickets and $15 1/2 day tickets at Smuggs plus free early and late season skiing. This alone is an awesome deal because Smuggs is better than most people realize.

VT Club Card + Bash Badge is the best combo I can figure out for weekend/holiday skiing in Northern Vermont for anyone who doesn't want to be locked into one mountain.

Can't wait to get this season going!!

Chin_Cliff_Alex_1.jpg

dlague

I like it! This should be on the Skiing on the Cheap 13-14 thread!

I love the resorts that do $10 off like that is a big deal! Then again those resorts use the price for crowd control!

ScottySkis

Last year before the season began I started the thread below about whether or not to get a Stowe pass. It lead to a useful and helpful discussion regarding pros and cons of various Northern Vermont mountains.

http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/112660-Stowe-Pass?highlight=stowe+pass

I decided not to get a pass because I wanted to bounce around, chase snow and not feel locked into one mountain. Now a year later I am reflecting on my decision and recalculating what to do for this season.

Stowe/Smuggs/Notch area is SO awesome and where I spend the most time but I tend to ski the resorts mainly on the weekends since I work mon-fri. At around $2,000 a Stowe pass isn't really economical for the # of potential days I am able to get out there. Last year I had near 30 resort days at Stowe, Smuggs, Bolton, Jay, SB and Killington.

If you are like me and are someone who works full time and spends most of your time skiing the northern vermont particularly in the Notch here is what I recommend.

Buy a VT Traveler club Card for $44. This gets you discounts at just about all VT resorts and select hotels and restaurants. You don't have to live in VT to get the card. If you use the card at least 3-4 times it's well worth the money.

http://www.classicskitours.net/vermonttravel.asp

With this card I paid:

$62 at Stowe. Normal rate is $92.
$42 at Jay. Normal rate is $69
$45 at Bolton (35 mid week). Normal is $56
$51 at Smuggs. Normal is $68

The Stowe savings is the best deal you get with the card. I went to Stowe 12 times this past season and paid a total of $744. Normal ticket rate for 12 visits would have been $1,104 without the VT club card.

On top of the VT club card you can then get a Smuggs Bash Badge or Bash badge plus for $100 or $169 which gets you $25 day tickets and $15 1/2 day tickets at Smuggs plus free early and late season skiing. This alone is an awesome deal because Smuggs is better than most people realize.

VT Club Card + Bash Badge is the best combo I can figure out for weekend/holiday skiing in Northern Vermont for anyone who doesn't want to be locked into one mountain.

Can't wait to get this season going!!

View attachment 9146
I think you should go with what you did last year. If I lived in Vermont I would buy those cards.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Glad you were able to make it work last season. And I had never heard of that deal before. Thanks for sharing.

dlague

Yep that's the plan Scotty! You should get yourself up to NVT this winter!

Add the Ride and Ski card and you are set. $35 includes a free lift ticket and ski every Saturday around NE on a 2 fer! You get Jay Peak on Sunday-Friday on a 2 fer as well and other Mid Weeks that can be taken every now and then. Last year there were 2 fer tour stops at Sugarbush, Jay Peak, Bolton valley and Burke! Definitely worth it and makes a nice combo!

Huck_It_Baby

Add the Ride and Ski card and you are set. $35 includes a free lift ticket and ski every Saturday around NE on a 2 fer! You get Jay Peak on Sunday-Friday on a 2 fer as well and other Mid Weeks that can be taken every now and then. Last year there were 2 fer tour stops at Sugarbush, Jay Peak, Bolton valley and Burke! Definitely worth it and makes a nice combo!

I don't know this card....have a link??

Huck_It_Baby

I make trip or two I am sure, but can't justify or afford expensive of going all the way up their, have fun in snowy parts were your at.

You can definitely get up here on the cheap if you don't require fancy accommodations.

In Killington Stay at Turn of River Lodge for $ 30-35 in a bunk. I did this for years before I moved to VT.

http://turnofriverlodge.com/

In the Mad River Valley stay at Hostel Tevere for $35 a night.

http://hosteltevere.com/

steamboat1

You can definitely get up here on the cheap if you don't require fancy accommodations.

In Killington Stay at Turn of River Lodge for $ 30-35 in a bunk. I did this for years before I moved to VT.

http://turnofriverlodge.com/

In the Mad River Valley stay at Hostel Tevere for $35 a night.

http://hosteltevere.com/

Huck_It_Baby do you know of any reasonably priced accommodations up in the Stowe area? I only ask because I like to ski up there when they run their ski club appreciation days. It's a bit of a hike to get up there from where I usually stay which is halfway between the MRV & K. A bit closer to K. I like to take advantage of multiple days & driving back & forth wastes a lot of time & gas. If I knew a reasonably priced place I'd spend a night or two up there. Where I usually stay only cost's me $24 a night & includes breakfast.

ScottySkis

Huck_It_Baby

Huck_It_Baby do you know of any reasonably priced accommodations up in the Stowe area? I only ask because I like to ski up there when they run their ski club appreciation days. It's a bit of a hike to get up there from where I usually stay which is halfway between the MRV & K. A bit closer to K. I like to take advantage of multiple days & driving back & forth wastes a lot of time & gas. If I knew a reasonably priced place I'd spend a night or two up there. Where I usually stay only cost's me $24 a night & includes breakfast.

Stowe is tougher. You won't find a hostel range price in the area that I know of. You could stay at Hostel Tevere in MRV and it would be only about an hour drive to Stowe or less. Or there is a hostel in Burlington but then you still have an hour to drive and you're not in the mountains.

http://www.theburlingtonhostel.com/

I bet you could find cheap lodging in Montpelier but it's a town I'm not familiar with. Maybe 40 minutes to Stowe.

ScottySkis

Stowe is tougher. You won't find a hostel range price in the area that I know of. You could stay at Hostel Tevere in MRV and it would be only about an hour drive to Stowe or less. Or there is a hostel in Burlington but then you still have an hour to drive and you're not in the mountains.

I bet you could find cheap lodging in Montpelier but it's a town I'm not familiar with. Maybe 40 minutes to Stowe.

There is a super 8 in Burlington I stayed at for about 45$ a night.

Huck_It_Baby

All great prices, but gas is major factor to.

I hear ya Scotty. I used to drive 6-7 hours from Rochester, NY to VT all the time and it took a toll on my bank account.

You gotta decide if it's worth it to you as a skier or not. More powder, bigger mountains, etc. I always find it's worth skipping a day or two at a local hill to save the money for a trip somewhere new or bigger. Get a couple buddies to help on gas and pile into a tiny hotel room.

steamboat1

Thanks, I was just wondering. It's about 1 hr. 40 min. drive to Stowe from our place. If I could find someone to split the cost of a hotel room it would make it better. Problem is the appreciation days are during the week & there's seldom anyone else around. It doesn't make sense to pay for a room that sleeps two when you're by yourself.

ScottySkis

Scotty it takes me just under 5 hrs. to get to K from Brooklyn. It takes 3 hrs. to get to Hunter. Not all that much difference in the cost of gas. Also the price of gas in VT. is usually 20-25 cents less than the price in NY.

I know if i made more money then I do I would go VT all the time, but Platty is great for me most of my local trips with a few to Hunter to.
I barley make enough now to pay my bills. It also cost of food out just adds up. One year I bought K season pass and it was convenient yes, would I by another pass in mid Vermont if I didn't live close no not even if I made more money. Now if I win the lottery I would have a place in both Burlington and Denver, and fly from Denver to SLC a lot.

Last edited:

steamboat1

Huck_It_Baby you might be interested in this...http://www.smuggs.com/pages/winter/skiride/pass-store/index.php

For $99 the Bash Pass gets you $25 lift tickets all season long at Smuggs (no blackouts).

With the Bash Pass Plus you get free skiing & riding from opening till Dec. 13 & again from Mar. 10 till closing.

Also $15 1/2 day tickets with either.

Last edited: