New England Waterfalls - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    More importantly ... let us know what *she* decides!

Good luck!

Skiing combines outdoor fun with knocking down trees with your face. - Dave Barry
    Waterville 11/30; Loon 12/7; Cannon 12/13, 1/17, 2/23; Sugarloaf 12/20, 21-22; Bretton Woods 1/3; Jay Peak 1/24-25; Heavenly 2/9; Squaw Valley 2/10-2/11; Wachusett 3/3; Sunday River 3/7-8

maverickdave

Tannery it is!

So I went to a few waterfalls this weekend, and decided on Tannery. The only problem, though, is that I'm going to have a tough time getting her to go out that far (even for a waterfall/geocache). So what I wanted to do was go out to western mass somewhere the night before (which would be 5/1) and do a nice night in a hotel and a nice dinner (I was thinking the Hotel Northampton). Then I could pull the "you got a romantic dinner, now I get to go geocaching" card, and all would be good. However, my lack of planning has led to the H.N. being fully booked that weekend. Can anyone recommend a nice place out that way? Somewhere near the 91/Route 2 junction would be ideal. Thanks!

T-minus-12 days and counting....

-Dave

I don't know about area lodging, but if you're in the I-91 / Rte 2 area, you should visit Shelburne Falls. It's a nice, quaint area, with a beautiful dam, the Bridge of Flowers, the Mole Hollow Candle factory (dip your own), a glass blowing studio, nice restaurants overlooking the river...

It's a good place for a romantic-ish getaway.
    Skiing combines outdoor fun with knocking down trees with your face. - Dave Barry
    Waterville 11/30; Loon 12/7; Cannon 12/13, 1/17, 2/23; Sugarloaf 12/20, 21-22; Bretton Woods 1/3; Jay Peak 1/24-25; Heavenly 2/9; Squaw Valley 2/10-2/11; Wachusett 3/3; Sunday River 3/7-8

I'll second Shelburne Falls. The Bridge of Flowers is a must see as well. As for Lodging you may have a hard time to the fact that school vacations sometimes fill up many places. There are some places near UMass but that might be out of the way for you. Good Luck

Dave,

This is NOT your boss.

It may be a little out of the way, but the Country Inn and Suites in Holyoke is a real nice place. Right next to the Delaney House Restaurant, which serves an excellent dinner and is somewhat upscale. Our company x-mas party was held there for the past two years and the food has been great. It's on Rt. 5 a few miles south of exit 18 I believe. If you're heading north on I-91 it's on the right hand side, right next to the highway. Keep going north, take the next exit, and drive south till you hit it.

Another option is the Red Roof Inn in Sunderland on Rt. 5 at exit 24. Nothing fancy, but it is a place to sleep. Only a few hundred yards from Yankee Candle, which is a nice stop. We ate at the restaurant at Yankee Candle once and the food was good but VERY pricey. I'll also give a nod to the bridge of flowers, especially at this time of year.

Good Luck.
    You have to do the hard things in life sooner or later. -- Earl Hickey's Karma Guide

Great book, Greg.

Bash Bish Falls gets my full endorsement for this important moment since my wife and I used it for that purpose 33 years ago and have returned for many romantic moments. There is a parking lot with picnic area and a 15-minute slight, uphill walk to the Falls which are about 30-40 feet high and split by a rock at the point the water goes over the cliff so the falls are split into two streams that land in one pool.

maverickdave

This weekend!

Alrighty all, this is the weekend...hopefully the weather will hold out in Florida, MA! I have dinner/B&B reservations for afterwards, and a buddy who's scared crapless that "the plan" isn't going to work out. I'll post here again on monday to let you all know the details. Thanks a *TON* for all of your help!

-Dave

Best wishes.

Watch out for the ticks.

-Stephen

Good luck!
    I ski double black diamonds.

Best of luck!!!

Thread Information