Ski Tuning and Waxing - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    ^ Looks like a good price to get you the bench, vise and iron. I find it odd that it comes with rub on wax because you don't need an iron for that at all. This set up will get you in the ground floor but you'll probably need to buy some good iron on waxes immediately to start playing with this set up. A good bar of universal CH wax will fill this need. As for the other tools, that scraper, side edge kit and brush will definitely come in handy.Regarding the side edge kit, this will only work if your skis have been beveled to a 2 degree side edge. If not, you may want to have your local ski shop a visit to get the edge bevel set then you can just maintain that angle. If you're confident in your own abilities, cut away. Personally, I limit filing my edges to once a season to set the edge then just maintain with a diamond stone but that's getting a little too technical for now.

If you decide to get a little more technical, you can add a brass and horsehair brush, a diamond stone and a base edge tool but save your money first and see how your tuning skills pan out. As for the rub on wax, just throw that in your ski backpack for on the hill touch ups like when your skis get grabby in spring snow.

All in all, it's a pretty good starter kit. If you bought that vise, bench and iron separately, you're already looking at $200. Welcome to the wonderful world of ski tuning. It's addictive.

Last edited by snowmonster; Sep 8, 2013 at 11:45 PM.
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - H. D. Thoreau

I am in the process of getting stuff and that is a pretty good deal! I built my own bench and made custom vises and just the rest of the other stuff cost more than that! I am getting root brushes though and waxes for all temps - that alone adds up! Much of the stuff I found was from this thread and some videos.
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Decided to take it easy at first and just do some maintenance work rather than full-fledged tuning until I know better what I am doing. I picked up a base edge guide and a 400 grit diamond stone from Artech. before I start filing away, how do I ensure that I got the right degree file guide? I picked up a 2 degree guide after reading somewhere that it seemed to be most commonly used. Does that sound right or might I need somethign else depending on my skis? Right now I have Atomic Nomad Smokes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by El Bishop View Post
    Decided to take it easy at first and just do some maintenance work rather than full-fledged tuning until I know better what I am doing. I picked up a base edge guide and a 400 grit diamond stone from Artech. before I start filing away, how do I ensure that I got the right degree file guide? I picked up a 2 degree guide after reading somewhere that it seemed to be most commonly used. Does that sound right or might I need somethign else depending on my skis? Right now I have Atomic Nomad Smokes.

Thanks
    There are many good videos on Youtube that talk about this. In fact I just bought just about everything I need for tuning our skis and I used youtube to plan my bench which I built! Pictures to follow!
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

I've watched a good few Youtube videos but didn't find something that gets as specific as what degree base edge guide to use. Any chance you can point me to one in particular?

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...
    You want to be careful with the base edge. You mostly want to work off the side. Ask me how I know!

Whoops -- right you are -- I meant the side edge. And I'll bite: how do you know?

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...
    Whoops -- right you are -- I meant the side edge. And I'll bite: how do you know?
    Years ago when my son started racing, I did the bottom edge with a base bevel, way too grabby after that. Racers usually only work on the side edge, and when the bottoms go, its time for a tune.

I've watched a good few Youtube videos but didn't find something that gets as specific as what degree base edge guide to use. Any chance you can point me to one in particular?
    Check out these guys: http://www.tognar.com/bevel_edge_tip...snowboard.html

They have a ton of tuning tips on their site.
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

Quote Originally Posted by wa-loaf View Post
    Check out these guys: http://www.tognar.com/bevel_edge_tip...snowboard.html

They have a ton of tuning tips on their site.
    Great site! I'm gettin' one o these: http://www.tognar.com/ski-visions-sk...e-tuning-tool/

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app
    "Happiness equals reality minus expectations." Tommy Magliozzi

Thread Information