• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SKI magazine 2013/14 Best Ski Areas in West

Smellytele

The Ogden resorts (powder and snow basin)are great and way less crowded the little cottonwood. Big cottonwood (solitude and Brighton) are also less crowded but all in all Utah is great no matter what. I've skied almost all except brian head and wolf creek and you can't go wrong. The parkcity resorts do get less snow but you get great nightlife, plus every time I'm in PC ill ski the daly chutes at deer valley, killer steep chutes!!
I thought Wolf Creek was in CO.

4aprice

The Ogden resorts (powder and snow basin)are great and way less crowded the little cottonwood. Big cottonwood (solitude and Brighton) are also less crowded but all in all Utah is great no matter what. I've skied almost all except brian head and wolf creek and you can't go wrong. The parkcity resorts do get less snow but you get great nightlife, plus every time I'm in PC ill ski the daly chutes at deer valley, killer steep chutes!!

Quiet Bruno. Nobody wants to go to the BCC resorts. :wink: Much easier drive up LCC, everyone go there. BTW its Wolf Mountain in Utah. Great view of it from the top of Pow Mow.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

darent

I'd imagine the even exchange rate from the last 5 years or so has made going to Canada to ski less attractive to Americans as well.

check out the rates for flying into Calgary, $700-$800 range, you can fly to Vancover for half that. was thinking of skiing Banff area this winter,but I will go to Oregon again and ski with my son.Use the flight savings to stay longer.

MadMadWorld

I'm almost the complete opposite, doing things in the west that I probably wouldn't do in the east due to snow conditions. Outside of something like Colbert's (Sp?) at Jackson Hole, which lets face it is a cliff at the top, I find the steeps much more skiable in the west. I find a trail like the top of Starr at Stowe to be much more intimidating then High Rustler at Alta.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Interesting. I skied Corbet's once and I managed to make it down without falling. The entrance is very intimidating but if you can come your mind to just getting through the first 1 or 2 turns your home free. I have found lots of in bound stuff out west that scared me a lot more than Corbet's. Steep chutes that have sharp rocks protruding from the snow is what scares me. I took a spill at KH that caused me to slide out of control for 30 seconds. The whole time I was just waiting for the moment I hit a massive rock or went over a cliff (all caught on my helmet cam too!). I've never had that experience in East coast inbound terrain (and hope I never do).

SnowRock

When I think of Aspen at this point I think of it as all 4 mountains (though in my two trips Ive never done buttermilk) not really one or the other. Its interesting to me that Aspen/Snowmass/Highlands all get ranked individually within the top 30.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
When I think of Aspen at this point I think of it as all 4 mountains (though in my two trips Ive never done buttermilk) not really one or the other. Its interesting to me that Aspen/Snowmass/Highlands all get ranked individually within the top 30.

Do they sell individual lift tickets? That's the only reason I could think of as to way they're seperate.

MadPadraic

If you include Tahoe in the West they do have rain and Sierra Cement which is worse than anything you can experience in the east.

Look, Sierra Cement exists, but you can't really contend that it is any worse than a freeze thaw or even a typical scraped off Saturday afternoon in the East?

Exactly! SKI might be the worst publication I've ever opened. Might as well have the top 30 ski resorts as voted by Cat Fancy magazine.

JH is #1 and you say that? Worst publication? Have you never opened a Boston Herald? We got a free subscription to Wine Spectator once, far worse than Ski. Also: http://www.wallpaper.com/

Smellytele

Look, Sierra Cement exists, but you can't really contend that it is any worse than a freeze thaw or even a typical scraped off Saturday afternoon in the East?

That is like saying a freeze thaw or even a typical scraped off Saturday afternoon in the East exists but you can't really contend that it is any worse than Sierra Cement. :-o

snoseek

Most of the snow that is labeled sierra cement skis pretty fantastic IMO.