• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SKI magazine 2013/14 Best Ski Areas in West

Smellytele

I contend that East Coast hardpack is much worse than Sierra Cement or Cascade Concrete. Also, the cookies at Beaver Creek are overrated.

Maybe it has to do with I have had more experience with East Coast Hardpack and know how to deal with it better than 12 inches of thick ski stopping mash potatoes.

snoseek

Maybe it has to do with I have had more experience with East Coast Hardpack and know how to deal with it better than 12 inches of thick ski stopping mash potatoes.
I only have two winters experience, but have only ran into this once or twice and yeah it kind of sucked. The rest of the time it was dry but usually denser snow....real surfy stuff that skis great. for the most part what falls seems quite a bit drier than what falls in New England.

fbrissette

Most of the snow that is labeled sierra cement skis pretty fantastic IMO.

I haven't experienced the Sierra Cement but have lots of experience with the Whistler cement. While it skis a bit better than it used to with fat boys, calling it fantastic is perplexing at best.

As to whether or not it is better than an eastern freeze-thaw, frankly I think they both suck and that either condition calls for a very early beer.

snoseek

I haven't experienced the Sierra Cement but have lots of experience with the Whistler cement. While it skis a bit better than it used to with fat boys, calling it fantastic is perplexing at best.

As to whether or not it is better than an eastern freeze-thaw, frankly I think they both suck and that either condition calls for a very early beer.

Yeah but Whistler is like 2000 feet at the base, tops out well under 8k and is closer to the ocean. Kirkwood is my goto hill and the base sits higher than the top of whistler. Same with Heavenly. I haven't been to Whistler but I would imagine that would make a pretty big difference. In two years and 200 plus days Of skiing Tahoe I can think of two days that were unpleasant due to sticky snow and yeah they were pretty awful, then again the past couple years were pretty light snow years so there's that.

MadPadraic

Are you two fans of Spring conditions? How do the conditions above differ? More grippy?

snoseek

Are you two fans of Spring conditions? How do the conditions above differ? More grippy?
Would you say those few days you had last December in Tahoe were cement? I mean that day at Kirkwood...