SKI magazine 2013/14 Best Ski Areas in West - Page 6

AlpineZone

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 90
  1. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    If you include Tahoe in the West they do have rain and Sierra Cement which is worse than anything you can experience in the east.
    I thought we were generalizing?

  2. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by 4aprice View Post
    The snow is better in the west not necessarily the terrain. I've never been to Northstar but kind of agree with your opinion on Keystone though the addition of the back areas made it better. In many ways eastern tree skiing is unique and different from anything in the west and I've had days in the east that rival the west. Overall though you can't beat elevation when it comes to snow and snow quality and there the east will never catch the west.

    Alex

    Lake Hopatcong, NJ


    I have a hard time going along with that. There are very few times that I have passed up a line on the east coast because it was out of my league. On the other hand, there were plenty of times at KH and Revelstoke where I chickened out. East coast definitely offers up a unique experience that is much different than the west but I don't think you can compare the terrain.

  3. #53
    fbrissette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Montreal/Jay Peak
    Posts
    1,473
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Bear View Post
    I saw an interesting comment on EpicSki from Tony Crocker that the way Eastern and Western areas calculate size are very different, and in general Eastern resorts ski bigger than their reported acreage and Western resorts ski smaller.

    Obviously, Eastern resorts are still smaller, but not to the extreme that it seems by looking at the numbers.
    Interesting, I would have thought (based on nothing else than my gut feeling and experience out west) that it was the other way around.
    Last edited by fbrissette; Sep 25, 2013 at 8:35 AM. Reason: one word typed twice...

  4. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMadWorld View Post
    I have a hard time going along with that. There are very few times that I have passed up a line on the east coast because it was out of my league. On the other hand, there were plenty of times at KH and Revelstoke where I chickened out. East coast definitely offers up a unique experience that is much different than the west but I don't think you can compare the terrain.
    Wouldn't you say that many of the Western resorts that we think of and travel to are more the exception than the rule? There is also a selection bias, because if we're spending all the money to travel out West, of course we're going to KH, Revelstoke, JH, or Snowbird, but there are hundreds of other resorts.

  5. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Bear View Post
    Wouldn't you say that many of the Western resorts that we think of and travel to are more the exception than the rule? There is also a selection bias, because if we're spending all the money to travel out West, of course we're going to KH, Revelstoke, JH, or Snowbird, but there are hundreds of other resorts.
    I don't know about that. Even if you looked at just the most popular destinations like SLC and Tahoe, I think it would be hard to argue that East coast terrain is harder. Maybe if people cherry pick resorts like Northstar or mountains in Oregon.

  6. #56
    Cannonball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    This user has been deleted
    Posts
    3,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    And most of us on here do not like SKI magazine anyway. Although I do get it for free (actually we get 2 for some reason at our house). I rarely more than browse through it.
    Exactly! SKI might be the worst publication I've ever opened. Might as well have the top 30 ski resorts as voted by Cat Fancy magazine.

  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
    Exactly! SKI might be the worst publication I've ever opened. Might as well have the top 30 ski resorts as voted by Cat Fancy magazine.
    Wildcat!

  8. #58

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    Posts
    3,636
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMadWorld View Post
    I have a hard time going along with that. There are very few times that I have passed up a line on the east coast because it was out of my league. On the other hand, there were plenty of times at KH and Revelstoke where I chickened out. East coast definitely offers up a unique experience that is much different than the west but I don't think you can compare the terrain.
    I'm almost the complete opposite, doing things in the west that I probably wouldn't do in the east due to snow conditions. Outside of something like Colbert's (Sp?) at Jackson Hole, which lets face it is a cliff at the top, I find the steeps much more skiable in the west. I find a trail like the top of Starr at Stowe to be much more intimidating then High Rustler at Alta.

    Alex

    Lake Hopatcong, NJ

  9. #59
    Cannonball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    This user has been deleted
    Posts
    3,670
    Skiing Colbert's....


  10. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytrem View Post
    I actually haven't been to Alta since 2003. I found a lot of other places where the power doesn't get tracked out so fast and just have less crowds in general. For the really good snow I've done much better at places that are less expansive than Alta. But there are also plenty of big ones that hold the snow real well, they're just not so close to a major airport. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Alta, and I'd love to get back there one of these days. I just don't rank it any where near the top for untracked powder per minute.



    Same deal with Whitewater in BC, it's like the Alta of Canada. Everybody is ready to go 1/2 an hour before the lifts open and ready to hike all over the place. Was a bit more shocking at Whitewater though.
    The Ogden resorts (powder and snow basin)are great and way less crowded the little cottonwood. Big cottonwood (solitude and Brighton) are also less crowded but all in all Utah is great no matter what. I've skied almost all except brian head and wolf creek and you can't go wrong. The parkcity resorts do get less snow but you get great nightlife, plus every time I'm in PC ill ski the daly chutes at deer valley, killer steep chutes!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:25 AM.