• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Re: prescription goggles

ceo

I wear light-yellow OTG goggles over my glasses, or over my prescription sunglasses if it's sunny out. Generally works fine except when I stop after skiing hard and they fog up. Answer: don't stop! Or start up again and they clear right up. I have a clear lens that I put in for bike commuting when it's really cold; the goggles actually fit over my bike helmet better than they do over my ski helmet.

snowmonster

I wear glasses and have never worn contact lenses. I've been wearing OTG goggles ever since I took up the sport. I solved the fogging problem by putting on the goggles in the lodge -- and not touching them ever. No fiddling, no removing them for photos, no adjusting them on the hill. The only time I get fogging is when I'm really sweating on a warm spring day. At that time, I should be wearing sunglasses instead. I figure it's a small price to pay considering my other alternative of having inserts. I think I'll look like a bigger dork in those plus they would be horrible in the lodge.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I wear contacts. I can't stand wearing glasses. However, I am still young enough that with my contacts in I can see close and far adn I don't need separate reading glasses or anything. Hopefully that lasts for a while.

I really, really, REALLY want to get LASIK at some point. The thought of waking up, opening my eyes, and seeing clearly would be ad ream come true.

nomad

Any idea why the disposables irritate your eyes less? I need new contacts for this ski season but always disliked 'long term' contacts... maybe this could work for me to?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I usually use Night & Day lenses, although I do take them out at night. they are very comfortable for several weeks.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I wear glasses and have never worn contact lenses. I've been wearing OTG goggles ever since I took up the sport. I solved the fogging problem by putting on the goggles in the lodge -- and not touching them ever. No fiddling, no removing them for photos, no adjusting them on the hill. The only time I get fogging is when I'm really sweating on a warm spring day. At that time, I should be wearing sunglasses instead. I figure it's a small price to pay considering my other alternative of having inserts. I think I'll look like a bigger dork in those plus they would be horrible in the lodge.

That only works if you don't fall - which I do - regularly. Once you've gotten snow in the goggle its all over.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Any idea why the disposables irritate your eyes less? I need new contacts for this ski season but always disliked 'long term' contacts... maybe this could work for me to?

Disposable are more aqueous and therefore less durable. But because they contain more water they are more comfortable. I find the two week lenses work best for me.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
OTG goggles over glasses for me I gave up on contacts a long time ago

Over-The-Glasses goggles over glasses? or is it Over-The-Goggles glasses over wait ... Start over ...

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

snowmonster

That only works if you don't fall - which I do - regularly. Once you've gotten snow in the goggle its all over.
True. But, this is also true even if you don't wear glasses. Whether you wear glasses or not, once you eat it and snow gets in your goggles, you're guaranteed to fog up. Actually, when your goggles have snow, what you're supposed to do is: 1) don't touch the goggles; and 2) shake your head like crazy to dislodge the snow. Thus, the lesson here is don't fall.

soozilah

I need to bite the bullet this year and buy prescription goggles as none of the other options (contacts, glasses under goggles) work for me - except when it's not too cold and sunny i wear my rx sunglasses - any recommendations out there on getting prescription goggles?

MadMadWorld

I hate OTG goggles. They always mess up my frames. I have tried contacts but I get an allergic reaction to every type I've tried. If it's a nice day I usually just ski without goggles or on bad days I will just wear goggles and no glasses

Puck it

I hate OTG goggles. They always mess up my frames. I have tried contacts but I get an allergic reaction to every type I've tried. If it's a nice day I usually just ski without goggles or on bad days I will just wear goggles and no glasses

AH, a weakness found for the ski offs. TREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

soozilah

@MadMadWorld - the bad days goggles no glasses options is not working for me any more i wish i did. but i have to admit at this stage of the game with my eyesight/white snow/conditions, I become a major hazzard on the mountain :dunce: