Torn Meniscius

AlpineZone

Thread: Torn Meniscius

Torn Meniscius

so I have a torn meniscius (inside R knee), not huge but giving some discomfort...doc says he can go in and snip it/clean it up or leave alone, my call.....anyone go thru this? i have to do it now to make sure the knee is ready for tele-turns mid december....

updownupdownupdownupdown

No problem recovery is quick. I have had it done a couple times and a reconstruction. I have only 5% of the cartilage left. My first time, I walked out of the hospital and had no issues. Do it now and you will be fine for late November even.
    Live, Ski or Die Trying!!!
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

Here's my torn meniscus last April. I tore it Thanksgiving day. I was a total moron for not getting it fixed the first week of December. It F'ed up my ski season because it kept locking up/swelling on me. It's a routine in-and-out day procedure and you'll ditch the crutches when you wake up the next morning. Pro football players are back playing 4 weeks later.

been thru it twice, quick recovery the first time. the second time took longer to feel normal, It bothered me where they inserted the scope but it finally healed up ,

Quote Originally Posted by SKIQUATTRO View Post
    so I have a torn meniscius (inside R knee), not huge but giving some discomfort...doc says he can go in and snip it/clean it up or leave alone, my call.....anyone go thru this? i have to do it now to make sure the knee is ready for tele-turns mid december....
    i'm in same boat, hurts less now than it did over the summer but i'm worried what will happen once ski season starts. i'm thinking i'll get it done in next 3-4 weeks.
    shit happens, wear a helmet.

2019/20
    Breck - 12.26 12.27 1.4 1.26
    Keystone - 1.12

I have torn meniscii in both knees: The left one from soccer and the right one from skiing (I hit a tree with it). I only went to the doctor for the left knee. They did some MRIs then put me in a knee brace for a few weeks. Knee resolved itself. At that time (early 2000's), they only recommended surgery if I was a pro athlete. Since then, I've been doing a lot of exercises to strengthen my thighs and calves. I re-injured the left knee while ice skating in 2004 then at around 2008, injured the right knee while skiing. Being poor and without insurance at that time, in both cases, I self-medicated. I iced the knee and just stuck it in a brace for a few weeks, hobbling around in pain with no crutches. Knock on wood, my knees are fine now. The only precaution I take while skiing is to do knee bends and rotations before skiing and skiing with knee pads. I know I am an extreme case because I have a tendency to self-medicate. I come from a family of doctors but the most important lesson I learned from them was that the body has to be allowed to heal itself. I don't recommend my methods to anyone. But, I was able to enjoy skiing for nine seasons on a pair of dodgy knees and ankles.
    "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." - H. D. Thoreau

Thread Information