• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Red Sox playoff thread.

skiNEwhere

Anyone going to the parade?

I think buck and mccarver get a lot of undeserved criticism. Personally I like mccarver's knowledge of the game, and he shows an apt for predicting what's going to happen (ie pitching change, having a pinch hitter for the pitchers spot)

I'd like to see the people who critisize them go out there and do a better job talking for 3 hours and keeping the material fresh.

Puck it

Anyone going to the parade?

I think buck and mccarver get a lot of undeserved criticism. Personally I like mccarver's knowledge of the game, and he shows an apt for predicting what's going to happen (ie pitching change, having a pinch hitter for the pitchers spot)

I'd like to see the people who critisize them go out there and do a better job talking for 3 hours and keeping the material fresh.

McCarver is terrible. He should hhave retired years ago. The crap he comes out with is terrible.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Apparently it is considered proper edicate to wear goggles and helmets to major league championship celebrations.

AP-World-Series-Cardinals-Red-Sox-Baseball_0011-1024x815.jpg
bos_a_jonny-gomes_mb_576x324.jpg

buellski

At least they weren't calling the Red Sox "silly" for holding the runner at first in game 4 (skip ahead to 2:00 to hear the call from Cardinal's radio).

http://nesn.com/2013/10/cardinals-r...-first-base-before-game-ending-pickoff-audio/

Last edited:

Geoff

At least they weren't calling the Red Sox "silly" for holding the runner at first in game 4 (skip ahead to 2:00 to hear the call from Cardinal's radio).

http://nesn.com/2013/10/cardinals-r...-first-base-before-game-ending-pickoff-audio/

That was priceless :)

I thought it really sucked when the Sox win the F'ing World Series and Fox turns it into a memorial for Tim McCarver. Fortunately, I'm in the Boston media market so I could change the channel and get rid of it. McCarver and Buck are both Cardinals homers. Don Orsillo did a great job this year calling non-Red Sox playoff games for TBS... particularly Oakland where he knew all the ex-Red Sox players so well. I think the NESN crew should have called the games for the Boston media market.

Recall Fisk's home run when Dick Stockton (and Ned Martin also in the booth) was alternating with Joe Garagiola. Can you imaging that play with Garagiola calling it? Nope. Neither can I.

I also really cringed at Fox using their NFL theme music for a baseball game. It's not a F'ing football game.

Geoff

Personally I like mccarver's knowledge of the game, and he shows an apt for predicting what's going to happen (ie pitching change, having a pinch hitter for the pitchers spot)

That's because he looks at the bullpen and on-deck circle to see who is there warming up. ...and anyone who has done even a minor amount of homework knows who is going to be used. No rocket science that Uehara is going to pitch the 9th and maybe a batter or two in the 8th. You know Martinez is going to be the setup guy and Rosenthal is going to be firing 99 mph fastballs as the closer for St Louis.

Just like everybody knew there was going to be a pinch hitter for Workman. Oops. That didn't happen and ended quite badly.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It's a "what have you done for me lately" kinda world. Not sure if we can keep this up. Celtics are rebuilding, Bruins and Pats seem to be in decline, who knows what the Sox will look like next year ...

The Bruins seem to be doing pretty well so far.

deadheadskier

Staff member
True. Go to the parade?

You know, as much as I love Boston sports teams, you couldn't pay me to go to one of their victory parades. I'm sorry, but standing shoulder to shoulder and butts to nuts with a half million people on a sidewalk in Boston is the furthest thing from a good time I could possibly imagine.

Geoff

It's tradition to be pessimistic about your teams chances and then act like you knew all along when they win ...

The Sox lost a few in a row in late-August. All I could think at the time was, "Oh no. Here it comes...." On April 1, I thought Gomes was a horrible mistake and I groaned every time I watch him flail against a right handed curve ball. I couldn't believe they did Drew family welfare again. Victorino looked to be on the way down and out. Napoli was presented to us as the guy with the imploding hip. Ortiz was still hobbled by that Achilles problem in April. Dempster didn't look like much to shore up what was already very weak starting pitching from the year before. On April 1, I thought they'd be lucky to finish above .500. They won me over almost immediately with all that hustle but I didn't think they'd be able to keep on winning. Looking back on it now, you had Ortiz as the aging star and a bunch of over-achieving dirt dogs. The only All Star representatives were Ortiz and Pedroia with Buchholz picked on the player ballot but on the DL. Everybody contributed.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think I read (or heard) somewhere that they did not lose more than three games in a row at one time. That is amazing.

They were hot all season. Very unusual for the Sox.

I will say that Jake Peavey was a disappointment in the post season. It seemed like he just put too much pressure on himself and he fell apart. I think he did pretty well in the regular season after the trade. I'm not sure what the folks are saying about him and his future in Boston. He certainly is a hell of a pitcher.