• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Red Sox playoff thread.

bigbog

Pitching wins.....but hitting has to be there as well..(duh)..lol.
Just wish they'd shorten the season to bring the World Series back into the first week in October, and into baseball weather. Even then the games were played during the day with the sunshine....but we all know the networks run everything....:puke:

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
woohoo. My brother in law works at fenway and just found out he can get us in. I'm going to the game tonight. So excited, never been to playoff game before let alone the world series.

drjeff

woohoo. My brother in law works at fenway and just found out he can get us in. I'm going to the game tonight. So excited, never been to playoff game before let alone the world series.

So if the Sox loose tonight, it's all your fault Nick! LOL!

Have fun!

thetrailboss

Staff member

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Just read it. Some folks complain about everything. It doesn't change the fact that the Cards defense sucked. And as someone in another article pointed out the Cards didn't complain nor did the umps. He wouldn't make the ball slippery when it's cold.

I have no idea what technical difference it makes (making the ball spin odd?), but it doesn't look like it would have made a difference anyway.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Some folks just have too much time on their hands I guess. I'm sure that tomorrow there will be another conspiracy theory.

Geoff

I have no idea what technical difference it makes (making the ball spin odd?), but it doesn't look like it would have made a difference anyway.

The action on a spitball makes it move more. Usually, the bottom drops out like a good split-fingered fastball so batters either swing over the ball and miss or hit weak ground balls.

Mo Rivera made a career from split fingered fastballs and Koji Uehara has been incredible this year throwing it. Jon Lester also throws the pitch. Personally, I don't think Lester needs to doctor the baseball to get his split finger fastball movement. On a cold night, you're going to put something sticky in your glove like pine tar that improves your grip on the ball to get the proper amount of spin on it, not load it up with goo so it's unbalanced.

Puck it

A spitball is a (now illegal) baseball pitch, in which the ball has been altered by the application of saliva, petroleum jelly, or some other foreign substance.
This technique alters the wind-resistance and weight on one side of the ball, causing it to move in an atypical manner. It may also cause the ball to "slip" out of the pitcher's fingers without the usual spin that accompanies a pitch. In this sense, a spitball can be thought of as a fastball with knuckleball action. (See Bob Adair's analysis for example).

The action on a spitball makes it move more. Usually, the bottom drops out like a good split-fingered fastball so batters either swing over the ball and miss or hit weak ground balls.

Mo Rivera made a career from split fingered fastballs and Koji Uehara has been incredible this year throwing it. Jon Lester also throws the pitch. Personally, I don't think Lester needs to doctor the baseball to get his split finger fastball movement. On a cold night, you're going to put something sticky in your glove like pine tar that improves your grip on the ball to get the proper amount of spin on it, not load it up with goo so it's unbalanced.

picking nits, but rivera throws(threw) a cut fastball, not a splitter...totally different grip

Cornhead

1382711998892.jpg
I don't really cars who wins, just routing for a long series.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AlpineZone mobile app