• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Red Sox playoff thread.

ctenidae

I'm going to be in Boston on the 31st- think I can get tickets to Game 7, if it occurs?

(know I can't, besides, it's my son's 2nd birthday, and he's not coming with me...)

skiNEwhere

I'm going to be in Boston on the 31st- think I can get tickets to Game 7, if it occurs?

(know I can't, besides, it's my son's 2nd birthday, and he's not coming with me...)

If you could go to the game, you could get tickets. You can get tickets to anything these days, even the Super Bowl a day before it's played, it all depends on how much you want to spend. I'm guessing the CHEAPEST you could get game 7 tickets would be around 500, each

deadheadskier

Staff member
End of the day, whether the call was BS or not

A. Salty shouldn't have made that throw. The runner was going to be safe. Even a hobbled Allen Craig had already touched the bag well before the throw arrived. I cringed when Salty released the ball thinking it was a bad decision.

B. Even if there was a good chance of Craig being out, Middlebrooks has to handle that throw. The throw was not that far off line. It was pretty darn near where it needed to be to tag the runner in a non-force out situation at third. You want the ball thrown a few feet towards second and low to have the best chance of tagging the runner before they reach the base. I haven't looked at the Box Score, but Middlebrooks should be awarded an error on the play.

Sucks to have a World Series game end on a questionable call by the ump. Game could still be going right now. But, if either Salty doesn't make the throw or if Middlebrooks handles that throw like he should have, you don't give the Umps the opportunity to fuck up.

4 games to go. Believe

skiNEwhere

4 things:

Where was Nava (Was he backing up 3rd)? I'm wondering if the ball didn't hit Craigs arm if it would have went to the Nava in short left, and Craig wouldn't have even tried to advance

This is the second time the Sox have screwed themselves overthrowing to 3rd base, in 2 games. Last game Breslow overthrew the 3rd baseman to cause the go-ahead run to score

I'm kind of glad, in a way that Middlebrooks was charged with obstruction. That's not normal to lift your legs like that if you are trying to get up, and if Middlebrooks WASN'T charged with obstruction, we would've never heard the end of it from Cardinals fans and the media about cheating. I think it was the right call, as much as I don't want to admit it

If the Sox still pull off a World Series victory, it will be at home now. I really want to see that

deadheadskier

Staff member
The right base running maneuver in that situation (when you know the throw has passed the fielder) is to at the very least make several steps towards home to draw a throw to home from the outfielder. Nava could've been a bit closer, but even in that situation Craig still would've moved towards home and tripped over Middlebrooks. No change in Nava's positioning would have resulted in the Ump not making an obstruction call. (whether you agree it was obstruction or not).

snowmonster

Thoughts at the end of Game 3: I've seen this before. Game 3 of the '75 Series, Fisk collides into Armbrister who's just standing there not getting out of the way. No call on Armbrister for obstruction. Sox go on to lose that game. It's probably the right call but I hate that we get the short end on those calls.

On to Game 4.

Trekchick

I have no dog in this fight so take this for what its worth.

The Red Sox have been messing up throws to 3rd a lot in the past few games.
The UMP made a call based on current rules
After Game 1 of this series, there was talk of Lackey greasing the ball. I didn't hear much from Red Sox fans when that was in question, but this call at the end of game 3 has been all over my social media feeds.

You couldn't give the Cardinals anything if (emphasis on IF) Lackey greased the ball, and you can't give anything back to the Red Sox if this is a BS rule.

As always YMMV

See you tonight for Game 4!!

For those who missed it, here is the ESPN Coverage this morning.
http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=331026124

thetrailboss

Staff member
I have no dog in this fight so take this for what its worth.

The Red Sox have been messing up throws to 3rd a lot in the past few games.
The UMP made a call based on current rules
After Game 1 of this series, there was talk of Lackey greasing the ball. I didn't hear much from Red Sox fans when that was in question, but this call at the end of game 3 has been all over my social media feeds.

You couldn't give the Cardinals anything if (emphasis on IF) Lackey greased the ball, and you can't give anything back to the Red Sox if this is a BS rule.

As always YMMV

See you tonight for Game 4!!

For those who missed it, here is the ESPN Coverage this morning.
http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=331026124

Consensus was that it made no sense for him to grease the ball and that it was likely that he didn't.

snowmonster

Two unusual endings in two days. Wow! I'll take the pickoff move. For a while there I thought Koji threw away the ball. It's been that kind of Series.

Random thoughts:

- Haven't seen a Sox starter come out as a reliever since Wake in 04. We got the same result tonight: passed balls and an inning eater.

- Craig Breslow is this generation's Calvin Schiraldi. The Cards are in his head now.

deadheadskier

Staff member
fp7aer.gif

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Probably the most solid Red Sox performance tonight. Lester was on. Yes, he gave up that one HR, but he did not seem too shaken and the team got up and drove in some more runs.

No errors. Lots of guys left on base and some whiffs at the plate.

One more...just one more....fingers crossed!

And David Ortiz has been money. He's been pumping up the team and been really hitting well. Keep it up!!!!!!