• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

unday Oct. 13 Lake Minnewaska and Mohonk Perserve

ScottySkis

mohonk_panorama_thumb.jpg
This is a shot of the Mohonk and Minnewaska from the wallkill Valley walk way.

ScottySkis

Hey Scotty this looks awesome! Glad you are having fun and getting in the outdoors!
Thanks Nick it is. It is great living in the Gunks and having these fine hills to hike and bike for sure.
#
78797.jpg
Visit-Us-Hike.jpg
78798.jpg
outdoors02.jpg

MohonkMH_0036-165x250.jpg
MohonkMH_0123-250x165.jpg

awosting2.jpg

MohonkMH_0417-2-MohonkMH_0422-2-4.jpg

Last edited:

ScottySkis

I did a nice 7 hour hike yesterday. Did Park by Mohonk then walked by the mountain from them the trail to Minn. got to the lake in about 2.5 hours then did some nice walking from around the great lake then came back . Nothing to hard today but got some great mileage in.
[h=1]Lake Minnewaska:[/h]
aerial1.jpg

aerial_hairpin.jpg
Love this view of 44/55.
[h=1]AWOSTING FALLS:[/h]
01ca.jpg

03a.jpg

ScottySkis

Went today for a nice quick walk in the late afternoon on Millbrook ridge trail at Mohonk: Steep heart pounding clime rocks for 5 mintues then it levels off for amazing views for next 2 hours so. Not to hot at 5 pm in the shade on the hill. Some pictures below:

ScottySkis

I guess it was Friday. Aug 29 2014 Cornhead came down to hike the mountain range of Shawangunks!! this great great spot so happy againg to get out to these places so close to home. They charge per person and I didnt feel it right to have Cornhead have to pay16 after he just drove 90 miles so I got in my trunk and we rode through the parking lot. Hike started around 1230 pm . Did Millbrook mountain rock climb for first 10 minutes heart pumping. Then trail becomes nice blue square to 3 blue squares walked a few miles got to sigh for Lake Minn. i knew it about 2 miles away we both happy to get to the lake. Everything always takes a little longer here then i plan but in a great way. Ate luch before we got to lake so many amazing views here it just endless. Got a phone call that I had to take after lunch so that delayed the hike for some 20 minutes. After taking in the view of lake and seeing where the leaches were a few months ago that had closed it for swimmers I happy to see it open again with ppl enjoying it. Made left turn and went up carraige road nice 30 flat walk on cobblestone feet where happy for this. Then went to the Petersns Pellet wow wow you can see the mountain hill and the noses Girathes I had not that before took longer then i thought it is rated 1 red square to 3 red squares lots of calories burned here on this day out views everywhere just fanstic! Took longer again then i thought got on the blue Millbebrook mountain trail that winds around the peak at 7pm i guess it around 8pm as it was getting dark we made it the easy hike out trail to the carraie roads in not full darkness but another 30 minutes later we would have been walking with cell phone lights on in the trees. Leaves starting to chang colors here to . Love this place over 7.5 hours of hiking most i did all summer thanks agian Cornhead for coming all way from your home 90 miles away. Sorry for extra time spent in the trees.

Last edited:

Cornhead

Whew, what a day! My dogs are barkin today, so glad we made it out of the woods in the nick of time. What an amazing place, yet another of NYS's natural wonders.

uploadfromtaptalk1409407190389.jpg
Scotty, fresh as daisy at the beginning of our 8 hr Odyssey.

uploadfromtaptalk1409407293459.jpg
Yours truly, similarly fresh.

uploadfromtaptalk1409407353251.jpg
Lake Minnewaska, I guess NYS Parks service installed a leech field for the hotel that resulted in the proliferation of leeches in the lake, how apropos, it is a "leech" field. Swimming in the lake was banned earlier in th Summer due to the leeches. NYS government strikes again.

uploadfromtaptalk1409407716687.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1409407754940.jpg
Magic mushrooms

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

ScottySkis

Singing in the rain today with Jim D and his friend. Not a lot of rain over all. Started out SAt. Sept 13 2014

Knew the forecast was ok with up to a quarter inch of rain all day I think. His friend wore sneakes I was impressed. Got to the lovely Gurties Nose agian. 6 hours of singing in the rain. Great hike agian love these hills.

ScottySkis

did Lemmon squeeze almost fully 2 now in past 2 weeks wow crowed yesterday great gettin g with Cornhead last sunday here and jim g and his son this past sat. Leaves chaging colors already catskill and spandex crowds all day yesterday nice peaks for sure.

ScottySkis

Bump went mountain bike around lake Minn. for 10 $ pass so beautiful here on Saturday April 25? Fun 3/hour s love all first timers here. So lucky to live close by sams point maybe one day this weekend a head.

ScottySkis

Bump

2 day out yesterday Saturday memorial day weekend 2015./ 2 hike of season about 6 miles nice hike from Lake Minneska over to peters kills preserve and back in about 4 hours or so another fun times with Jim .

ScottySkis

Bump. Great hiking Saturday love those poles make my feet much less pain. No pain 4.5? Hours for 7.5 miles got to love the peterskiill ski slopes got bfind old t bar soon. Another outing of fun times with Jim got to cars as rain started.