• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

unday Oct. 13 Lake Minnewaska and Mohonk Perserve

ScottySkis

2013&2014 Lake Minnewaska and Mohonk Perserve

Beautiful scenery. Weather was perfect. Used my bike maybe 30% of time and hiking was about 70% of my time 4 mountains lots of acres really nice trails here. Pictures to come soon. I love being 20 miles from here.
1376541_746001502082726_252713163_n.jpg

Last edited:

Huck_It_Baby

Very nice! I used to visit a friend of mine in New Paltz and we would always go up to hike around the Lake up there. It's a beautiful area!

ScottySkis

2522_749765818372961_355240873_n.jpg
These rocks in this picture are not for novice that is for shore, now I understand why they sell hiking shoes, I went yesterday just hiking wow really love this place, they have cross county skiing in the winter snow shoeing to so I am sure to try those as well.

ScottySkis

http://www.amny.com/urbanite-1.8120...ith-these-five-easy-winter-getaways-1.7098967
New Paltz, NY
Distance: Less than 2 hours This quaint university town in Ulster County was once home to a small Huguenot community who settled there following religious persecution in France and the Netherlands during the 18th century. Historic Huguenot Street is a national historic landmark district with seven stone houses from the 1700s, a burial ground and a church. Most homes contain original furnishings and keepsakes on display (they reopen for tours in May).
Mohonk Preserve offers serenity in the woods, access to more than 100 miles of carriage roads and trails in The Gunks (as the Shawangunks Mountains are known) and occasional groomed cross-country skiing. Ungroomed, backcountry skiing is available on all other trails. Visitors can also snowshoe on any trails or carriage roads on the preserve.
If you feel like doing some shopping, head into New Paltz and check out Water Street Market, a retail village with 20 boutiques and restaurants.
After all that retail therapy, stop by the cute and cozy Village TeaRoom for comfort fare, baked goods and afternoon tea.
If you're staying over, consider the Moondance Ridge Bed & Breakfast, where each of the guest rooms is decorated in homage to Hollywood's Golden Era (from $219 per night), or try the Maplestone Inn (starting at $210 per night), a bed and breakfast housed in a 1790 stone farmhouse and on seven acres of lawns, gardens and sugar maples.

My hiking and biking and fun place Mohonk Perserve in Shawangunk Rigde mentioned in this.

Last edited:

ScottySkis

Bump Today Sunday Aug 3 I thing 2014.

Today was a great day. did 5 hour loop in Millerbrook mountain and did more then ever before on the lovely mountain cliff. Love the views from this place and so crowed not. Meet up with JimD looking forward to more hiking this season. Got a little more in hike wise then planned but that turned out great. Anyone who lives close to New Paltz if you like outside hilly fun this is a nice spot for sure. Drank plenty of water didnt take any pictures. Glad I finally got do summer stuff then other a zoner. The first part of trail will start your heart going for some great cardio for sure.

JimG.

Staff member
Mohonk/Minnewaska is a great place for any type of hiking/climbing.

Yesterday was an awesome day for my first hike of the summer. Enjoyed seeing Scotty working on his fitness. It will pay big dividends when the snow flies!