• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best ski Hostel's

quiglam1

I have stayed at Hostel Tevere and I will say it was AWESOME The young couple that run it seem like good genuine people. I found the place to be VERY clean and the attached Tavern is EPIC. I was only there once but would definitely go back in a similar situation. The only problem that I have is trying to get thru people's preconceived ideas that a Hostel will suck. HT definitely does not suck!

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

What might the price range be for HT? Couldn't find it on the their web page.

quiglam1

[h=2]TMax-n-Topo's Hostel in Lake Placid for Whiteface skiing. Friends have stayed there during the summer and said it was nice.[/h]

twinplanx

What might the price range be for HT? Couldn't find it on the their web page.

Something like 20-30$per night. The location, at the intersection of the SB access road & Route 100 + the on site Tavern with very reasonablely priced menu & quality food make for a extremely pleasant experience.

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

jimk

I've stayed in a few over the years. I like it when they also give you access to a kitchen. They are especially attractive on weekdays when you have lots of elbow room. You guys have mentioned some of the notable ones. Hostel Tevere on Sugarbush access road is good, kind of tight quarters and no kitchen, but price (~$35) is hard to beat for solo visitors to MRV. Has a lively younger vibe. White Mountains Hostel in Conway, NH (~$25) is good and clean with huge double kitchen. About four years since I stayed there, need to confirm it's still operating. Maine Roadhouse Hostel (~$25) about halfway between Saddleback and Sugarloaf was good with kitchen and large bunkroom and a few private motel type rooms. Website seems to have gone dead for it since I was up there two years ago. Stayed in Abominable Snowmansion at Taos, NM about 20 years ago, didn't sleep so good in crowded bunk room, but part of that was due to being altitude sick:) If you travel in a party of two or more suddenly cheap motels are about the same as two beds in a hostel, but otherwise hostels can be very good for solo travelers and sometimes help for connecting with ski buddies when you go to the slopes.

Huck_It_Baby

Any hostels near Stowe ?

I'm not sure if these are still around. I've never stayed at them.

Mount Mansfield Hostel
6992 Mountain Road, Stowe, Vermont 05672
(802) 253-4010
skidorm@together.net

or

Stowe Bound Lodge
673 South Main St Stowe, VT
(802) 253-4515

There is also a hostel in Burlington but you might be better off staying at HT if you are going to be that far away from the mountain.

http://www.theburlingtonhostel.com/

jimk

It's about one hour +/- a few minutes from Hostel Tevere to Stowe (and about one mile to Sugarbush South).

ScottySkis

Thanks guys, see to me it worth driving to Burlington for cost savings, plus I could get to Jay or Smuggs if snow is better their, I get a good hotel rate at one in Burlington is I split it with someone else it be as much as a room in Hostel, when I this winter to North VT, I am sure I will check out hostel Trevve by Sugarbush.

timm

Anyone ever stay in the Conway Hostel in North Conway?

This looks promising.

There's also the Joe Dodge Lodge of course but at the prices they charge (even for members) you can usually find a hotel or motel for not much more and get a private room and bathroom for your extra $5-10.

The ski clubs are the best deal in NH but most of them won't take married people (even if your spouse won't be using the club).

yeggous

The ski clubs are the best deal in NH but most of them won't take married people (even if your spouse won't be using the club).

There are plenty of clubs that take married people, couples, and families. Just submit an inquiry on the EICSL web page and someone will reply.

timm

For myself, I have submitted an EICSL inquiry and only heard from one club which I am planning on visiting this winter.

I wasn't attempting to discourage anyone but the understanding I've gotten from people and the one club that did respond to my EICSL web inquiry was that very few of the clubs will accept married people and of the "family clubs" that do, there are not a lot with space available.

Most of them do seem to allow you to remain a member if you are already a member and get married later though.

yeggous

Finding space at the family clubs is an issue. I only know of one that is accepting new members.

All of the "singles" clubs will allow you to stay a member if you get married. I am the social chair at one of those clubs, and perhaps half of our membership is currently married (though less than that if you look at those who come up regularly). A lot of people get married, have kids, and then only come up a few times per year. Even the single clubs will have a family weekend a couple times per year and often have families up mid-week during school vacations.

I sent you a PM. Respond with some details about yourself and what you're looking for. I'll see who I can put you in touch with.

steamboat1

Families are the back bone of our ski club. Always has been. We have families that have belonged to the club for three generations or more, my family included. We're not in NH. though, we're in VT near K.

jimk

I've stayed in a few over the years. I like it when they also give you access to a kitchen. They are especially attractive on weekdays when you have lots of elbow room. You guys have mentioned some of the notable ones. Hostel Tevere on Sugarbush access road is good, kind of tight quarters and no kitchen, but price (~$35) is hard to beat for solo visitors to MRV. Has a lively younger vibe. White Mountains Hostel in Conway, NH (~$25) is good and clean with huge double kitchen. About four years since I stayed there, need to confirm it's still operating. Maine Roadhouse Hostel (~$25) about halfway between Saddleback and Sugarloaf was good with kitchen and large bunkroom and a few private motel type rooms. Website seems to have gone dead for it since I was up there two years ago. Stayed in Abominable Snowmansion at Taos, NM about 20 years ago, didn't sleep so good in crowded bunk room, but part of that was due to being altitude sick:) If you travel in a party of two or more suddenly cheap motels are about the same as two beds in a hostel, but otherwise hostels can be very good for solo travelers and sometimes help for connecting with ski buddies when you go to the slopes.
The recent thread on why ski lodging is cheaper in the West than in the East got me motivated to revisit this ten year old thread on best ski hostels.
I don't think I've ever done a comprehensive list of all the hostels I've stayed at in the USA while on ski trips.

I mentioned four in the old post above (Tevere-Sugarbush, White Mtns-Conway, Maine Roadhouse-Saddleback, Abominable Snowmansion-Taos. (I believe all but Maine Roadhouse still operate under same or similar name in 2023. The place near Taos dropped the word Abominable. :giggle: )

Since then I've also stayed at:
- TMax-n-Topo near Lake Placid, very squared away place, son and I stayed there in March of 2014 for $20something each. Still open in 2023, $31 per night for single bunk now. I think you get breakfast or a least a kitchen set up to cook your own food.
- February 2015 on visit to Park City I slept 150 yards from the Payday Express chair in the men’s dorm of the Chateau Après Lodge for $40 a night including a decent continental breakfast. It's an old property and I thought they'd have torn this place down by now, but I just checked and it's still operating in 2023; dorm beds are $60 now.
- More recently, Jan 2020 I stayed at an upscale hostel in Breckenridge called The Bivouac or The Bivvi for short. It cost about $80 per night, which is a bit pricey for a hostel, but fairly economical for a single wanting to stay near-slopeside at Breckenridge. The Bivvi was very well run and featured a hot tub and a nice hot breakfast.
- The Bunkhouse in Minturn, CO (5 miles from Vail and Beaver Creek in either direction) is a newer hostel I've not visited yet, but considering.

Last edited:

2planks2coasts

Nice Bump! I stayed at the Snowmansion (It was Abominable then ;) ) 20 years ago. Something like $20 bucks a night. Nearby Arroyo Seco hot springs. Some of the better nights of my younger, single skiing days.

So Inclined

(I believe all but Maine Roadhouse still operate under same or similar name in 2023. The place near Taos dropped the word Abominable. :giggle: )

The Snowmansion, as it's now unabominably called, appears to have gotten new ownership and a somewhat bougie refreshing/renovating in the past few years. I last stayed there in summer 2015, and it was a down-to-earth hostel experience in all the ways you'd expect, especially out in that part of the world (A thin mattress on a bunk in a common bedroom! WWOOFers! Weird conversations about underground lizard people conspiracy theories with hippie kids! ) It was cheap and cheerful and right across the street from Abe's Cantina, which is pretty much all I really ask. That said, looking at the website recently for a potential trip to TSV, I wasn't seeing the bunkroom option anymore. They might be more of a 2.5 - 3 star inn than a hostel now.

Full-grown adult here, but still a fan of the hostel/lodge experience, especially when traveling solo and cheap (yes, including the shared bunkroom.) Maybe I've been lucky but I've never had a bad or scary experience in those situations. On the contrary, have had much better how's-the-skiing? conversations and have even made some nice acquaintances over the breakfast table at places like ToR, which just doesn't happen at the Super 8.

Last edited:

BodeMiller1

I was going to say that Grandpa Grunts is a classic....so is Turn of the River Lodge in Killington.

Gotta agree that hostels really aren't an American thing. I don't know why. I liked the ones in Switzerland that I visited. There are some nice ones in the UK as well. Pretty basic and clean. But you don't really need more.
The movies didn't help. Although, they were good.

Always wondered about the hostel on Rt 2 heading to Sunday River. Always seems like somethings going on. :unsure: Seems like a hiker's place.