• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best ski Hostel's

manhattanskier

Website
www.patriotbrass.org
Hey everyone,

What are you favorite hostels? What ski areas are they near? I love skiing but am always on a budget, I buy lots of liftopia tickets months in advance so I can go all over the northeast. Where are the best places to stay on a budget?

Thanks for your help!

ScottySkis

Treve near Sugarbush I hear is great, so is my Honda Accordlol. SLc has some good hostels to but that is not in the north east

thetrailboss

Staff member
I was going to say that Grandpa Grunts is a classic....so is Turn of the River Lodge in Killington.

Gotta agree that hostels really aren't an American thing. I don't know why. I liked the ones in Switzerland that I visited. There are some nice ones in the UK as well. Pretty basic and clean. But you don't really need more.

HowieT2

Treve near Sugarbush I hear is great, so is my Honda Accordlol. SLc has some good hostels to but that is not in the north east

Thats Hostel Tevere.

ive heard good things but don't know first hand.

Hawkshot99

Gotta agree that hostels really aren't an American thing. I don't know why. I liked the ones in Switzerland that I visited. There are some nice ones in the UK as well. Pretty basic and clean. But you don't really need more.

Pretty much the only thing I knew about Hostels prior to staying at Grandpa Grunts, I learned from the movie "Hostil"http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0450278/. I was a bit worried to stay in one.....

twinplanx

Thats Hostel Tevere.

I have stayed at Hostel Tevere and I will say it was AWESOME The young couple that run it seem like good genuine people. I found the place to be VERY clean and the attached Tavern is EPIC. I was only there once but would definitely go back in a similar situation. The only problem that I have is trying to get thru people's preconceived ideas that a Hostel will suck. HT definitely does not suck!

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

gostan

Thats Hostel Tevere.

Sarah & Giles run a really friendly clean operation for sure. They also manage & rent some of the small reasonably priced Powderhound condos abutting the hostel. And for many of the MRV dwellers ski season and otherwise, the Tavern is a hidden gem.

skiberg

I stayed at the Hostel. I think you are defecting to the Hostel at the. Cranmore Mt Lodge. Long time ago, 15 years at least, but I think they threw in breakfast. I think we had use if the indoor pool and hot tub as well. I remember old steel bunks with the creaky steels springs and thin mattresses. Not luxury but it was like $15 per night.

steamboat1

Ski club lodges offer the best rates, even to non members. Daily lodging rates at my club are $24 for members & $36 for guests. Yes that includes breakfast to.

yeggous

Ski club lodges offer the best rates, even to non members. Daily lodging rates at my club are $24 for members & $36 for guests. Yes that includes breakfast to.

Yes, ski clubs are really the way to go. This is especially true in New Hampshire where there are about 20 affiliated clubs (www.eicsl.org) all located in the Mt Washington Valley. Lodging rates vary, but generally are free for full members of that club, $15 for members of other EICSL clubs, and $25 for guests. Meals are usually $15 for dinner and $5 for breakfast.

The EICSL clubs are really well organized. They have race days with discounted tickets, organized socials, and multi-day trips with some of the best rates around. Their early season trip to Jay Peak even includes an unlimited season pass for less than the cost of buying the pass alone.

Huck_It_Baby

What is a hostel, technically? Just a bay with bunk beds or something basically? As opposed to an individual room?

Kinda yeah. Don't forget to add in snoring, drunk, stoned, obnoxious and smelly ski bums. Usually resulting in a GREAT time! =)

A couple very poor pics of Turn of River bunks:

TOR1.jpg

TOR2.jpg